• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are Snap-on tools really THAT good?

I'll be the odd man out here and say that I hate Snap-On screwdrivers. I find that square handle to be rather uncomfortable. I also think that Snap-on make one thing better than tools, and that is hubris.

I'm no pro, but I do a lot of wrenching (damn near all of my own maintenance and repair of multiple vehicles, plus household stuff, plus helping friends). For many years I had a set of cheep old junky tools that a friend assembled for me from a pawn-shop after my tools were stolen while in his care. I even used them on the job for a year when I worked as a two-way radio installer. That was twenty years ago and I still have some of them!

Since then I've slowly built up to better quality. Sears was usually my first choice when I needed something, but not always, and there were other times when the only convenient source for something might be who knows where. I'd say maybe half my sockets are really what I'd call 'good,' but the remaining old junky ones just refuse to die. I keep telling myself that one day I'll go out and buy a complete set of something good but it has yet to become a priority. I've got a Craftsman ratchet (that's how you spell that) that I've had for about four or five years that is a joy to use and is always what I grab first. I've been meaning to get a shorter version of it, and a 1/4" version too. I've got a set of larger Torx-driver bits for ratchets, from the Kobalt brand...bought those when I mounted the engine-bars on the GS and they were the only locally-available set I could find that had a T-50. I also bought their multi-tip Torx screwdriver to carry on the bike. Those few Kobalt items have so far proven to be really great, very well-made and have yet to show any weakness under pressure. I like Klein for electrics too. In my most recent work, our company tools included a large set of Husky wrenches, both hand and ratchet/socket. We used those for things like installing and servicing medical air compressors and other hospital equipment, and they felt good in hand and performed admirably- especially since we were NOT professional mechanics and our methods could get a little strange at times. I've got a set of spline-drives I got from an auto-parts store that seem great, but I've only used them once.
The only tool I ever turned in under warranty was a Craftsman electric drill that was probably around 15 years old. They exchanged it for the then-current equivalent model with a smile and no questions- in and out in under five minutes. In hindsight, I don't think that they were supposed to do that for other than hand tools- oh well, their poorly-trained employee made my day (in a good way). That replacement drill is doing fine at around 10 years of age BTW.

I don't know where my next tools will come from, but I suspect that just like with cars and motorcycles, the average product is better today than it ever was.

My GENERAL rule of thumb is "Stay away from ANYTHING Chinese." That said, I have a plier set from Stanley that was made in China and is of high quality and has stood up well. Most of my tools are Craftsman, been a collector since my Dad gave me a tool box when I went off to college 25 years ago. I still have the little Sears floor jack he gave me (and IT is 25 years old). The 3/8 and 1/2" rachets have been replaced, the 3/8 twice now, on the second replacement, I got a "remanufactured" replacement. That was a few years ago. I hasn't slipped yet.

I'm kind of an old tool geek. I LOVE old tools, well made. I have a pair of slip-joint pliers that have a straight blade screwdriver on one of the handles. It has the FORD logo forged into it. My guess? EARLY 20th century. Still use them all the time. I have a couple sets of SK sockets and rachets that are probably 40 years old or more. A Craftsman 1/4" set that dates back into the 50's prob. A PROTO rachet that is probably as old. A set of "Bell System" screw drivers from the 60's.

As for "cheap" tools. I have a 1/2" air impact and a 3/8" air rachet from Harbor Freight (Central Pneumatic) that are both 20 years old and still work. I have a hand grinder from HF (Chicago Electric - Makita knock off) that is also almost 20 years old that I have used and abused without issue. The HF torque wrench that my Dad gave me about 20 years ago has ceased to work now. I'll have to replace it with something of higher quality but only because I can now.

As a shade tree, you have the luxury of just buying what you want and need. The SnapOn guy isn't coming to your house. You'll have to hook up with a local garage that is on his route. They generally make regular stops.

After reading this thread I'm going to be a lot more selective the next time I need ANY tool! I've learned the waste of buying cheap tools, but I've never been as selctive as some here. Some good thoughts.

Veg, when you go to buy that Craftsman 1/4" ratchet(sp!!!), you'll be happy to learn that every time, and I mean every time ! you use it your hand will bump the direction lever and cause it to go the wrong way. Now that's design at its best! It may be shiny, and it may be sturdy or whatever else, but it isn't worth a crap! Really a PITA when your on your back up under a car dash...

I'm sorry but there is no hand tool that craftsman makes that is better than snap-on. Period. Definately less expensive but not better.

Veg, when you go to buy that Craftsman 1/4" ratchet(sp!!!), you'll be happy to learn that every time, and I mean every time ! you use it your hand will bump the direction lever and cause it to go the wrong way. Now that's design at its best! It may be shiny, and it may be sturdy or whatever else, but it isn't worth a crap! Really a PITA when your on your back up under a car dash...

my Craftsman 1/2 does that, but my 3/8 and 1/4 do not, they have levers...maybe different models as my smaller ones are 15+ years or better.

I have both, majority Craftsman due to quick availability as opposed to running down the local Snap-On guy on Tuesdays. Some of the new Craftsman ergo wrenches are pretty nice and I have recently upgraded most of my sockets to LARGE markings:laugh . I can still visually pick the right one , but sure helps when I am tired.

i can still remember the sign hanging in my fathers auto repair shop:

"i make my living with snap on tools, please don't ask to borrow them"

Back