• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are Snap-on tools really THAT good?

Snap-On is really great stuff, but if you are a shadetree mechanic than Craftsman will be more than adequate. I have a combination of both brands and have never had any issues with either of them. The Snap-On screwdrivers however are the cat's meeeoww though..:cat

Go with Craftsman: Here's why. If you do break a craftsman tool the chances are good you'll be near a Sears store and it will be open on weekends.....you won't have to wait for the truck to roll in. Am 52 and still have / use Craftsman tools I bought in High School. Am also in the Military and my Base has a contract if Snap-On. I admit the finish is nice but many of their wrenchs are not very comfortable..
Last pitch for Craftsman...... Something is always On Sale and filling your tool box one tool at a time is a cost effective if you can wait for Sales.

+1

Snap-on tools are definately worth the money. An open end Snap-on will grip better than a box end Craftsman. I have both and say this from experience. When I first started wrenching for a living I made due with lesser tools, and still do in some instances, but Snap-on is the best.

Snap-on tools = Jewelery for men

Yes, yes, yes!!

my tool box is full of em, and I love em.

My question is... is a BMW motorcycle that much better:scratch

A BMW motorcycle is MUCH better. Take $18k to the Harley shop and see if you get heated and adjustable seats, heated grips, ESA, ABS, adjustable windshield, easily detachable hardcases, boxer engine, a bike that doesn't need washing every 30 miles and comes with a t-shirt obsession, etc...

I'll find some second-hand Snap-Ons and try them to see how they are. If you have Snap-On tools and don't think they're that great, send me a message and I'll give you an address where you can dispose of them;) Or your Craftsman, too, for that matter....;)

Seriously, thanks for all the input.

They are a little harder to find but I recommend PROTO tools to anyone who asks me. I'm the maintenance manager in a large factory and all 75 of my mechanics are equipped with them. They are very common in industrial applications. At least the equal of Snap On or Mac and superior to Craftsman. I use them at home and have been very happy. If you have a local Grainger or MSC outlet you should be able to get them

My 2 cents.

I own both Snap-On and Craftsman tools, frequently one of each. The Snap-On open end and box end simple wrenches are clearly superior to Craftsman being thinner and they hang on to the bolt head tighter and better. The Snap-On ratchet wrenches are worse than Craftman in the 1/4 inch drive, then slightly better than Craftsman in 3/8 inch drive, and a lot better than Craftsman in 1/2 inch drive.The ratchet sockets are almost always better with Snap-On, though not enough to warrant purchase except on the frequently used sizes.

Unlike Craftsman, Snap-On does not give discounts for buying complete sets of anything. Their merchandise is priced by the piece. That said, I would encourage home mechanics to buy Snap-On wrenches in the most commonly used sizes, such as 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, & 17mm. They are well worth the extra money for the stuff you use all the time. Buy a Cratsman "set" for the seldom used sizes and for your "on the road" tool kit, or the tools you let your kids use.

In just about everything else, screwdrivers, pliers, air tools, drills, saws, etc., the top of the line Craftsman professional tools are better than Snap-On.

By the way, to the best of my knowlege (I am not terribly knowlegable) Snap-On dealers DO get reimbursed for warranty replacements on tools. In fact some of them WANT your warranty returns because they can make a little profit on the transaction. I don't know what the gentleman who said they are not reimbursed was talking about, maybe there is some different program for dealers outside California.

Unlike Craftsman, Snap-On does not give discounts for buying complete sets of anything.

That was not my experience, but then I bought my wrench set and other tools from Snap-On back in 1975.

They also have sales. I bought my 1/2" click-type torque wrench when it was discounted.

The warranty is very good. I had some sockets replaced over the years due to chrome chipping/peeling on them.

I have lots of Craftsman tools, and they are more than I need. However, realize that some of their tools -- notably torque wrenches -- are guaranteed for only a year.

I had a tough time getting an old 1/2" Craftsman ratchet replaced under warranty that I had borrowed from a friend. They insisted on me producing proof of purchase.

I never have those issues with Snap-On although I've only had about 3 or 4 items replaced/repaired since 1975. I really don't care about warranties; I care about a tool not letting me down when I need it most.

Somerset, PA , which is where I live, has a Sears franchise store. What that means is they won't replace tools off the shelf:banghead They will order a replacement. Ussually takes a week.

We also have a Lowes with Kobalt tools. I've started buying Kobalt and while the selection is limitied the quality seems comparable to Craftsman and the "No Hassle" warranty works.

From now on if it is available in Kobalt that's what I'll get.

Worked out of the toolbox for 20 years and used Snap-On, Mac, Matco and had a great relationship with all the dealers. Now when the need for a tool comes up I have a great collection of high quality tools that do the job I need done without a problem, but if I need something that I don't have I head off to Sears and get what I need. My best friend finally came to me when he wanted to start his tool collection and off we went to Sears and it was great fun spending his money. After we got the starter set going the two of us went through his existing tool inventory and it was amazing how many of the same tool he had purchased because it was cheap and rounded off or was broken! We celebrated the disposal of the Chinese tool supply with a few beverages and he felt that although the prices stung a bit it was worth every dollar. Now when he has a tool fix he calls his wingman and we go in! Fun..
:bliss

I too have been a professional wrench and can add some comments, in no particular order; all Craftsman tools are not equal-take a look at the rachets(how in the hell do you spell this word?) they offer in various sizes-they vary in price and design, while all have the magic "lifetime warranty", there are some that are ill designed and of poor construction and thats a fact. I traded one a few years ago and finding it sadly lacking put it in a Craftsman (lifetime warranty ) vise and smacked the hell out of it with a large hammer and traded it for another, which was also a miserable tool to use. The next one I asked if I could pay the difference and got the best one they had which is not up to some other high end tools but acceptable. Another factor in brand selection is , what do they offer. Craftsman has some types of hand tools that don't include necessary sizes etc., to perform certain work, while the high end tools will have that to offer. I also happen to have a lifetime hobby as a serious woodworker and can tell you that I find Craftsman woodworking tools in general to be sad! Really sad!!! I did buy an extra drill press(made in China and a carbon copy of Grizzly and some other brands) via eBay(it was nearby) that was cheap and very adequate for non industrial use.
Also, if you live where I do , taking a tool back to Sears is a 140k RT and not what I call handy nor cheap! If you are making a living with a tool-esp. on flat rate work or military as opposed to factory maintenance you need the tool to perform NOW!
To give a blatant example, I have a son that made an emergency landing on the desert in Iraq with an engine failure in his Cobra helo. I can assure you that the guys that came by land on that desert did not want the piece of crap rachet that I took back when they were changing out his engine!
I served an apprenticeship , once upon a time , as they say, and we were provided with Williams brand tools , in part, and they were of high quality, as are several other brands of tools. An example of a brand besides Snapon thats good is Klein pliers . An example of Snapon quality is in Torx bits-theirs are just better than the others!, but quality is not limited to snapon. If you want to see overpriced crap, take a look at the Chinese made snapon power screwdrivers-they are not even close to the quality of several others such as Bosch, Metabo or Dewalt and some others.I have a slip joint plier that Craftsman(at least used to make) that I have not seen by any other manufacturer, so it pays to peruse the offerings. You have to look at each category and compare.
A great place to look for quality tools is eBay. If you don't think so , I'm comfortable with that as it lessens my competition. I own some high end air tools that cannot be touched elsewhere and how many pawn sops can you visit in a day, even in an urban area?
There are also times when Harbor Freight tools can serve the purpose for you. An example is a deadblow hammer-they are cheap there and will last a long time. Another is the 3/4" socket sets-for me the use is occasional in those sizes and they will outlast me, now if I were a full time diesel tractor mechanic they would be in adequate, so you have to figure in the service factor for various tools.
I'll add another thought, and I taught in a tech school-"if you don't know how to use tools, then you don't know what you need either"! Good advice would be to move slowly on tool purchases if you are something of a greenhorn.It's time to run my chainsaw ... Stihl of course!!!:bow German engineering(I think?) Made in USA!:bow

I own lots of tools, fewer than 15 are Snap-on. Some are unavailable from Sears etc. such as the triple square bits I got for the VW. Snap-on makes all that stuff and will trade it for only money.
The effort they put in to the design, construction, and finish of these tools makes them good value if you need those features.

BTW, my ratchet does not carry the lifetime warranty, nor does the cylinder glaze breaker, both bought from Snap-on. The guy usually tells you but buyer beware.

BTW, my ratchet does not carry the lifetime warranty.

Mike, Snap-On will replace the internals at no charge.

I use a 3/8" drive for everything and always buy the one with the most teeth for the least angle...that makes them more prone to failure under heavy torque.

Specifically, what makes Snap-on tools so much more expensive than craftsman?

The first time I was helping somebody under a car and was handed a Snap-On wrench, I had to stop and look at the wrench. It just felt right. It was a "whoah, that's really nice!" moment.

Craftsman

I've got a garage full of tools I've collected for over thirty years. Ninety percent or better are Craftsman. Inexpensive and durable. Break it or cut it in two pieces and all you have to do is drive to the Sears store and they will hand you a new one. I've never understood paying five times the price just because the wrench is shiney. Personally, I don't understand the snap on thing. They are good tools but over priced and over rated...

Whatever, my opinion and $3.98 will get you a venti iced latte at Starbucks..personally I go to a little coffee shop that has the same thing for $1.50.
Starbucks: Good coffee but over-priced and over-rated

:usa

By the way, to the best of my knowlege (I am not terribly knowlegable) Snap-On dealers DO get reimbursed for warranty replacements on tools. In fact some of them WANT your warranty returns because they can make a little profit on the transaction. I don't know what the gentleman who said they are not reimbursed was talking about, maybe there is some different program for dealers outside California.

I did not say they don't get reimbursed. I said the vendor replaces it. If that's out of his inventory, guess what, he paid for it. If he has to order the replacement for you, because you need it now and can't wait for the company to decide if it is covered by warranty, guess what, he pays for it. He pays the shipping for the broken item to go back, and the shipping for the replacement item, without reimbursement, even if they do honor the warranty. They don't always, and what you think is their excellent coverage is actually your vendor eating the costs to maintain good customer relations (I mean you wouldn't buy much more if you weren't sure if your tools would be covered after all). Lastly, if they do honor the warranty after examining the broken item, all they'll do is send a replacement, so after several weeks the vendor may get a new item to replace the one he replaced for you (shipped at his expense, so that could add up to three different shipments: the broken item going back, the replacement he bought for you coming in, and the actual replacement of the broken item later). He receives no cash, there can be no "profit".
All this of course is based on your vendor's honesty, and playing by the rules. There may be ways around them, but that's how the system is set up

Generally - Craftsman is the way I go BUT every once in awhile SNAP-ON has a special tool that no one else has to bet the job done.

I remember getting the muffler off a VW and SNAP-ON had a special S shaped wrench that would reach into an inaccessible and grap loosen up stubborn fasteners. Worked like a charm - well worth the money since the mufflers wore out every two years.

The bug is gone - still have the wrench.

Back