• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are Koni's original to the 1978 R100RS?

I have a ridiculous question to ask. I have a '78 Motorsport and am trying to determine if the Koni rear shocks are original to the bike. The only things not original on mine in particular are the front break lines (although they are NOS) and the seat cover and padding and battery and tires. Did the R100RS come stock with Koni's in '78? If not, who provided the stock rear suspension? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Attachments

• 7ED98A0E-FDCB-412B-B0F7-B9698E09AF37.jpg
    7ED98A0E-FDCB-412B-B0F7-B9698E09AF37.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 148
I'm pretty sure that Koni's were not original to the bike. Not even sure when Koni was started...of course these shocks are now provided by Ikon. I changed the original rear shocks on my /7 pretty early on...I don't remember why...but I put a set of Konis on that time. I don't remember or even know what BMW sourced for rear shocks.

Looks like your keeping those front snowflake rims in order to be original. You probably know that those rims are part of a long-standing recall. However at this point, I've been hearing that there are no more replacements...I think a suitable replacement is gold in color.

Looks like your keeping those front snowflake rims in order to be original. You probably know that those rims are part of a long-standing recall. However at this point, I've been hearing that there are no more replacements...I think a suitable replacement is gold in color.

I didn't think Koni's were OEM but it got me to thinking, then researching, about what these bikes originally came with. Anyway, my online search yielded nothing in essence so I thought I'd ask here.

I purchased a replacement front snowflake (with proper webbing) from an online supplier a little while back and have yet to convert. This Motorsport sees little, gentle, use... but that's no excuse for getting the job done. Right now I've got a hotter iron in the fire, namely a '79 CBX that's commanding my time and attention.

Attachments

• D7235C39-4278-43B8-BFD0-4CE05C35F1FE.jpg
    D7235C39-4278-43B8-BFD0-4CE05C35F1FE.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 144
  • BBED91DE-695C-4BEE-8AB3-446116D06023.jpg
    BBED91DE-695C-4BEE-8AB3-446116D06023.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 146
I purchased a replacement front snowflake (with proper webbing) from an online supplier a little while back and have yet to convert. This Motorsport sees little, gentle, use... but that's no excuse for getting the job done. Right now I've got a hotter iron in the fire, namely a '79 CBX that's commanding my time and attention.

Nice one on you!! I had a "fun" off road experience on a CBX quite a few years ago! Bike just didn't want to lean over for a turn...all that engine (6 cylinders) up high meant for high CG...took more muscle than I was used to. The guy who owns the bike still talks to me...I think!!

Boge's were stock on your bike. Koni's would have a rebound adjustment wheel at the top of the shock.

Nice one on you!! I had a "fun" off road experience on a CBX quite a few years ago! Bike just didn't want to lean over for a turn...all that engine (6 cylinders) up high meant for high CG...took more muscle than I was used to. The guy who owns the bike still talks to me...I think!!

So... you sold it after you ditched? Wait a minute, now that I'm digesting what you wrote,... you borrowed the bike for a spin and ditched!!!??? Yikes and ouch! That can be an expensive proposition! Glad he still talks to you... I hope. Although I would if I was him because your knowledge on most all things BMW is invaluable... worth keeping the relationship for sure, lol!

I had a '79 CBX back in '83 which I bought new as a 4 year left over. Sold it in '91 and missed it so now I've fixed the "missed it" part. Great part about it is you can pretty much get another one of anything you miss if you choose.... and have the means of course. :thumb

C9C371E7-9E3A-4A7B-8930-D96EDBF62DDC.jpeg

Pretty sure the stock shocks were Boge.

They were indeed.

Except possibly for some Italian supercar, Koni has never been original equipment on anything. They for sure never have been on any BMW motorcycle.

Koni still produces shocks for cars, but they left the motorcycle business and IKON (Koni backwards) of Australia produces the designs now. Whether they produce anything for new bikes is unknown to me.

So... you sold it after you ditched? Wait a minute, now that I'm digesting what you wrote,... you borrowed the bike for a spin and ditched!!!??? Yikes and ouch! That can be an expensive proposition! Glad he still talks to you... I hope. Although I would if I was him because your knowledge on most all things BMW is invaluable... worth keeping the relationship for sure, lol!

Actually we traded bikes...I had a Honda V45 Sabre and he had the CBX. I did have my /7 at the time, but the Sabre was my "get a ticket" bike. Around here they used to...maybe still do...have a breakfast run up into the Hill Country one weekend morning. After the run up, we swapped bikes and went out for more twisties. I ended up doing a header over the bikes, banged my knee up pretty good (I'm sure I'll pay for that when I'm older!), and seemed to mostly bend the front forks. The bike was retrieved and he rebuilt the bike...I'm pretty sure he still owns it to this day...it was the red color like yours. It's been a couple of years since I saw him...covid and all.

I have a ridiculous question to ask. I have a '78 Motorsport and am trying to determine if the Koni rear shocks are original to the bike. The only things not original on mine in particular are the front break lines (although they are NOS) and the seat cover and padding and battery and tires. Did the R100RS come stock with Koni's in '78? If not, who provided the stock rear suspension? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Konis were not stock. The OEM shocks were made by Boge and they were freaking horrible. They had a little handle thing on them to set preload, if memory serves and they were regularly removed and chucked in the trash where they belong.

No rebound adjustment made them very bouncy and when you'd stuff your airhead into a corner, the lack of damping and the springs that were too high a rate, the rear end would start doing this cyclic dance with the back half of the bike.

Solid avoid.

I believe that at that time, you could buy an optional shock called a Nivomat from BMW that was supposed to be a self leveling shock. They were also terrible, which is why you see Konis on everything.

Konis were not stock. The OEM shocks were made by Boge and they were freaking horrible. They had a little handle thing on them to set preload, if memory serves and they were regularly removed and chucked in the trash where they belong.

No rebound adjustment made them very bouncy and when you'd stuff your airhead into a corner, the lack of damping and the springs that were too high a rate, the rear end would start doing this cyclic dance with the back half of the bike.

Solid avoid.

I believe that at that time, you could buy an optional shock called a Nivomat from BMW that was supposed to be a self leveling shock. They were also terrible, which is why you see Konis on everything.

What Dave says: :thumb

I believe that at that time, you could buy an optional shock called a Nivomat from BMW that was supposed to be a self leveling shock.

Germans are very anal about self leveling ... to avoid headlight glare. It is mandatory on vehicles with HID lighting, for example.

Nivomats were fitted to 1st generation Range Rovers.

Mercedes station wagons originally had rear shocks powered by the power steering pump.

They've eventually gone to air bag springs with level sensors to create more or less inflation as required.

The latest BMW bikes come with $2K plus automatic rear shocks. (They more correctly are "suspension units" as they combine spring and shock absorber.)

In addition to self leveling, most Germans now combine selectable damping ... sport versus comfort.

Adjustable shock absorber damping was the advantage of Konis. Leveling for passenger weight remained the function of the spring.

Nivomat

I had Nivomat shocks on my bike from day one until they quit working and were NLA to replace. If they were still available, I would be using them now.

No messing with spring adjustment when my wife got on with me or when I was solo, they stayed level after pumping up in a few minutes of riding. Also, for my taste in riding and handling, the rebound rate was fine. Of course there was no adjustment for this.

Sadly, they didn't last work for as long as they should have for the price and were expensive to replace. My last two sets were good used units. I contacted Boge and they claim they may be able to rebuild them. My last set is on the shelf waiting for me to make my mind up wether I like them enough to spend the money to ship them to the factory, pay the nominal inspection fee, then if they can be rebuilt, the cost.

Back in the day, it was almost unheard of to have self leveling shock/springs on a bike. I remember trying air shocks on an older bike and cars with nothing but a big pain in the butt. New technology and refinement in these systems makes them pretty darned nice now and if I were to invest in a newer bike, I would have this option for sure. St.

Back