• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Appalachian Roads

Rainwater
WOW! I have wondered when the rally would make it to this general region. If y'all have never been here or, even if you have, get ready for some really great roads! The more famous roads, such as that part of 129 that some folks have been calling "The Dragons Tail" is amazing. Of course the claimed 311 curves in 11 miles requires that, for example, a decreasing radius curve is carved into at least 3curves to count for one tight curve, one tighter curve, and one even tighter curve. No matter how you count them, there are a lot of curves on the Dragon and most are stuck right up against each other. I tried counting the curves while riding one summer day. I just could not keep count while concentrating on the curve that I was leaning into at the time.

It is hard to find an uninteresting or straight country road in this area.

I do have a PRIMARY REASON FOR WRITING THIS. I live in Maryville, TN maybe 8 miles from the Dragon. Every Summer the local newspapers report several fatal or near fatal motorcycle accidents on the Dragon. I do not remember any of these riders being identified as "local riders". I am not saying riders from other areas are any less skilled than local riders but if you live in an area where most of the curves have stop signs on them the Dragon will be a challenge. This is true for the Blue Ridge, the Cherohala, and many of the other roads in this area.

On the other hand, I do not remember any of the motorcycles involved in these accidents being identified as a BMWs. Anyway, I would like to continue to NOT hear of any BMW riders ( or anyone else) loosing life or limb in this area.

The very tight and closely spaced curves on the Dragon can be tricky if you are pushing it a bit. It is hard not to push it when the sun is peaking through the trees onto a smooth and curvey stretch of road. I was riding that road downhill with my wife on the passenger seat one summer. I was relaxed and was riding at a moderate pace. I guess I was a bit too relaxed. I overlooked a decreasing radius and was too close to the apex too early in the curve. I slid over into a racing style hang-off to gain some ground clearance so I could tighten my line. This worked fine but my wife did not know what I was doing. In a slight panic, she grabbed me and attempted to pull me back onto the seat! We laugh about this now. If it had turned out differently we may not have been able to do any laughing. I was riding slow enough that I was able to recover in spite of the short tug-of-war with my passenger. Sure, I made a mistake. I should have been more focused. I learned from it, etc. I probably have around 250,000 on motorcycles & about 100,000 on BMW's. I am not a perfect rider. Sometimes I might miss something or just make a wrong decision.

My point is that mistakes happen. It is even easier to "goof" when riding on unfamiliar and challenging roads.

The Dragon is a 5 to 10 MPH swarm of cruisers on weekend days. Go in the mornings or during the week to avoid having to slip the clutch while creeping along behind the "poser parade"! To complicate things, the sport bikes may be there at the same time!!! Oh yeah, the state troopers are all over the Dragon during the popular riding times.

The Cherohala is beautiful. It also has mostly increasing radius curves in one direction and, of course, decreasing radius curves in the other. Some of these are not obvious until you hear yourself say "UH-OH" (or something like that). The Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice ride also.

Get a map, ask around, go for a ride. Enjoy yourselves. Please ride with due caution. From Johnson City you can be on the crest of the mountain in less than an hour. You can take some nice back roads in just about any direction. Folks are generally VERY friendly here. Do not be surprised to see more than one elderly couple sitting on their front porch smiling and waving as you ride by.

I look forward to seeing you in July.

Thanks for the information and the concern.

I'll be riding down from Vermont with a buddy. At first we were thinking of swinging north to start and taking a leisurely ride down via scenic roads in NY, PA, WV and KY. But after hearing so much about the riding down there we might just slab it to WV before switching to back roads. That would give us more time to ride your turf!

Looking forward to seeing your neck of the woods!

very good advice

thank you for thinking of this and posting.

i can only second his advice, and share a similar experience.

even after thirty five years or riding these roads, they still catch me out every now and again.

glenfiddich - do ride hwy 16 through WV & VA. and camp at hungry mother state park. :nod

ian

thank you for thinking of this and posting.

i can only second his advice, and share a similar experience.

even after thirty five years or riding these roads, they still catch me out every now and again.

glenfiddich - do ride hwy 16 through WV & VA. and camp at hungry mother state park. :nod

ian

Bob's decision to rent a cabin at Hungry Mother is a wonderful idea. Not that I have been around these roads a long time, but my Dad helped build Hungry Mother Park with the CCC during the depression. Not only that, I spent over 25 years running up and down every road in this end of the state handling insurance claims. We plan on showing Bob and his group some roads most people would never find. I think Rt 16 between Tazewell and Marion is the 2nd best road around here. They took some of the excitement away when they put up guard rails but Rt 80 is at least as crooked, still has no guard rails and has a newer surface. However, the really good part of Rt 80 is only 10 miles whereas Rt 16 from Tazewell and Marion is 32 miles (3 mountains instead of 1). I have a nice 200 mile ride that includes them both and portions of Ky and WV.

If you want to ride the Dragon, you will enjoy it more if you ride it before you ride either Rt 80 or Rt 16.

Save the boy!

OK folks, if you are going to run my Yankee buddy Robert 'right round some good Virginy roads, that's good.:bow

Just keep him intact....I need him in the Bier Tent on Wed. and Sat. nights!

Rev.Willie (Head Bartender):thumb

Hungry Mother sounds really good, but this being my first National and me wanting to fill my 40Gig portable storage device with photos, I plan on doing the camp on site thing with plenty of day trips tossed in.

Will definitely take your riding suggestions, though!

Thanks!

Pete

Hungry Mother sounds really good, but this being my first National and me wanting to fill my 40Gig portable storage device with photos, I plan on doing the camp on site thing with plenty of day trips tossed in.

Will definitely take your riding suggestions, though!

Thanks!

Pete

Hungry Mother is the Pre-Rally where there are photo opportunities galore.

Thanks for the information and the concern.

I'll be riding down from Vermont with a buddy. At first we were thinking of swinging north to start and taking a leisurely ride down via scenic roads in NY, PA, WV and KY. But after hearing so much about the riding down there we might just slab it to WV before switching to back roads. That would give us more time to ride your turf!

Looking forward to seeing your neck of the woods!

Hey now,

We (the YB's and Sled Dogs) are hosting a little rolling rally from New England to the National and we have a similar plan.

We're leaving New England Saturday July 11 and going 500 miles to the WV / MD / PA boarder area for the first night. From there we have two 200 +/- days, a lay day (relocated YB's are providing some great loops) and on Wednesday we're heading to the rally site. Looks like we have four nights camping and a small donation for a good cause for $50.

The tour is open to like minded riders, it's a no host, no guided rides, worry about your own meals kind of tour. We plan on sleeping on the ground every night too. :brad We'll be offering s suggest route, files for your GPS and good times at the end of the day. Small groups are encouraged, a bravarian congo line is not.

More information is in the when and where section of the Owners News and the BMW MOA website.

I do have a PRIMARY REASON FOR WRITING THIS. I live in Maryville, TN maybe 8 miles from the Dragon. Every Summer the local newspapers report several fatal or near fatal motorcycle accidents on the Dragon. I do not remember any of these riders being identified as "local riders". I am not saying riders from other areas are any less skilled than local riders but if you live in an area where most of the curves have stop signs on them the Dragon will be a challenge. This is true for the Blue Ridge, the Cherohala, and many of the other roads in this area.

We drove through Deal's Gap during a weekday between Christmas and New Year's in 2007 -- that was a great and challenging road. There were only a handful of bikes and cars out that day and we were able to drive it twice with little traffic.

The great thing about the area is that there are so many roads besides the Dragon if it's overcrowded during your visit. On another trip, we went during the height of the fall tourist season and didn't have any trouble finding roads with little traffic during the weekdays -- weekends were something else. Lots of leaf-lookers.

Last edited:
As in "prior to."

We'll be on site for the rally.

I got that part. :) This will be my first rally so I'm not up to speed on all the goings on. Is the pre-rally anything more than folks resting up after a long ride before arriving at the rally looking all clean and refreshed?

Would there also be a post rally?

Pete

I got that part. :) This will be my first rally so I'm not up to speed on all the goings on. Is the pre-rally anything more than folks resting up after a long ride before arriving at the rally looking all clean and refreshed?

Pete

The "pre-rally" is meeting-up with old and new friends before the mass gathering. It helps in trying to get people together before the craziness of the rally site (trying to find folks in a gathering of 9000+ Beemerfolks can be challenging). It is also a good chance to have a warm shower--you will not have those when the rally starts.

The "post-rally" is the BMWRA National in WV the next weekend.

Riding and rallying, it's a tough life but somebody needs to do it!:dance

Pete

Hi Pete,

Some friends and I are doing our annual ride to SW Va this year, and it happens to be the week prior to the MOA Rally. We're basing out of HMSP, riding four or five days, and then the BMW guys are going to the Rally in TN.

My post rally is a ride to AR, then maybe the RA on the way home.

Pete

With all of the roads to ride around here and all the stuff going on at the Rally, there is not enought time at the Rally to get it all in. If you limit your time to the Rally, you will miss a lot of good riding and unique experiences. You might be forced to come back next year to finish your rally plans.

I've only been to 6 or 8 rallies but I have never been able to do all I wanted to do within the time frame of a rally.

Pete

To the best of my knowledge the only MOA sponsored "pre-rally" was in 2006 (Vermont).

For folks that have yet to attend a National in this case the "pre-rally" is what you do between when you leave home and when you arrive. Hook up with a few friends and make you own pre-rally or watch for tips on places like Hungry Mother or the YB a Big Johnson Tour.

To the best of my knowledge the only MOA sponsored "pre-rally" was in 2006 (Vermont).

For folks that have yet to attend a National in this case the "pre-rally" is what you do between when you leave home and when you arrive. Hook up with a few friends and make you own pre-rally or watch for tips on places like Hungry Mother or the YB a Big Johnson Tour.

So if I manage to cover 2500 miles between here and there, even though Google Maps insists it's only 1100 miles, that would qualify as a Pre-rally? Is beer required to make it official? :scratch

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing all my previously unknown relatives in July!

Back