• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ready For the Dragon

The Mrs and I just closed on the purchase of a cabin near Murphy NC. I've been exploring that part of the world for decades on both two and four wheels (Honda Fours, an early GSXR750, and three different Toyota MR-2's). But it has been twenty years since I have ridden any of the roads on a bike. And I have never driven The Dragon or the Cherohala Skyway on two wheels. I've been all over northern Georgia from Blue Ridge eastward and from Ellijay and Dahlonega northward. I'm familiar with most of NC west of Brevard and south of the BRP. NC215 between US64 in Rosman and the Parkway is another favorite of mine.

We will be trailering my R1250RS up to the cabin the week of 10/7 for a week of vacation. The Dragon, Skyway & TN68 between Tellico Plains and Ducktown are on my hit list. So is NC28 between Franklin and Fontana Lake.

So many roads, so little time.

It's fun, I've only been down the Dragon twice on different bikes and the Cherohalo once. I recommend early in the morning to avoid the squids.

It's fun, I've only been down the Dragon twice on different bikes and the Cherohalo once. I recommend early in the morning to avoid the squids.

Thanks, Ski Bum. That sounds like solid advice. I'm a little worried about Johnny Law, also. I'm not planning to act crazy (heck, I'm old). But you see many more speed limit signs in that part of the world than you did 30 years ago.

Enterprise rented me a Mini Cooper last February for a trip up that way. It was a heck of a lot of fun on US19/129 over Neel's Gap. I ran the Skyway in my F-150 about six weeks ago (my first time on that highway). Even in a pickup, it was fun.

As of a week ago, the Cherohala Skyway (NC-143/TN-165) still has a road closure about 5 miles east Tellico Plains. The road got washed out back in roughly July, and no telling when they will have it repaired. The Cherohala Skyway is still fabulous as an out and back ride, if you are coming from the NC-129 side. Just make sure you have sufficient gas for the return ride, as there are no gas stations along the way, and the gas station at the corner of NC-143 & NC-129 has shutdown. One nearby gas option is at Deals Gap, but they have limited hours during the off season.

If taking NC-215 from Rosman, why stop at the Parkway? NC-215 is just as good from the Parkway down most of the way to Waynesville.

And not too far over from NC-215 is NC-115 between the Parkway and Candler which is even more challenging than NC-215.

NC-28 between Deals Gap all the way to Walhalla SC is pretty good too.

As for the Tail of the Dragon, best to do it early weekday mornings, and watch out for what appears to be increased police presence of late. I had to pass through the TofD a couple Sunday's ago to get back on my planned route after dealing with the Tellico Plains road closure and saw three police vehicles all actively looking for trouble. Normally, weekends are especially dangerous for racers and those riding/driving way beyond their talent. But with so much police presence that particular day, it was about the safest/quietest I have ever encountered on that route.

Many more great routes in SW NC and surrounding area beyond those that you have mentioned.

It's a nice road. We used to call it "Deal's Gap" before it got merchandised.

If you see a trailer with Florida plates, be careful. I've been down there and seen some seriously bad motorcycle riding by folks with 3" of chicken strips on either side of their tire. They're absolutely horrified and often seem to ride like they've never ever seen a corner outside an intersection or freeway ramp. I'm sure there are good riders out of Florida; I know some, but man, their squids seem to be pretty much drag racers only.

West coast comment: 11 miles is cute. Come visit CA 36. 1811 curves in 140 miles is more like it. https://www.pashnit.com/ca-hwy-36 When you see the curvy road sign with "Next 140 miles" under it, you're gonna need to pinch yourself because it just feels like heaven up there in the trees.

I will resist commenting on those from the left coast just because.

Congrats on the cabin. Great riding out that way for sure.

If you see a trailer with Florida plates, be careful. I've been down there and seen some seriously bad motorcycle riding by folks with 3" of chicken strips on either side of their tire. They're absolutely horrified and often seem to ride like they've never ever seen a corner outside an intersection or freeway ramp. I'm sure there are good riders out of Florida; I know some, but man, their squids seem to be pretty much drag racers only.
Perhaps not fair to lump the OP in these sorts of generalist comments, but most Florida plated cars are more than a tad out of their element in the NC mountains. They drive like stink on the straights then slow down to a crawl on the bends and are reluctant to use the pull-outs to let the growing number vehicles stacked up behind them by, perhaps because they don't believeanyone else can do any better.

West coast comment: 11 miles is cute. Come visit CA 36. 1811 curves in 140 miles is more like it. https://www.pashnit.com/ca-hwy-36 When you see the curvy road sign with "Next 140 miles" under it, you're gonna need to pinch yourself because it just feels like heaven up there in the trees.
The TofD is all about marketing that attracts the tourists. That's fine, as the locals and those who spend more time around here know many more better routes, either more technical or longer windy/twisty routes that lack the shinnanigans and stupidity that goes on at the TofD.

The TofD is all about marketing that attracts the tourists. That's fine, as the locals and those who spend more time around here know many more better routes, either more technical or longer windy/twisty routes that lack the shinnanigans and stupidity that goes on at the TofD.

The best thing about Deal's Gap is that you can buy a tee shirt if you want to do so.

One of my trips to the Dragon (Deals Gap) was in October. Be careful of wet leaves in the morning in October.

Have a blast. :clap

The photogs are there pretty early too if you want something to remember it by.
IMG_0621-XL.jpg

Congrats with the cabin! Avoid the (holiday) weekends on the Dragon and you will be fine. Plenty of more interesting roads to ride/explore out there as well! Enjoy!

It's a nice road. We used to call it "Deal's Gap" before it got merchandised.

I was stationed at Travis AFB years back and you are not kidding, CA 36 is amazing and will wear you out. Parts of CA 20 from up near Truckee, down to Ft Bragg is great too. I rode the Dragon last March for the first time, and when we got to the resort I started thinking of all the great riding in California.

Gas was $1.94 a litre at home last week then dropped to $1.84 for regular. High test was applicably more. $40 to fill up a bike was painful!

Sounds funny now but i remember going up through there almost fifty years ago on HW 129 before there was such a thing as "Tail of the Dragon" and all the marketing, you know when it was just a "wicked twisted road" to quote Reckless Kelly.

Two sides to every coin, Jim.
Since you’re no longer a tourist; it doesn’t matter about any campgrounds or where do the Tellico visitors settle for the night. So many options; they’re all very good. Personally, we have kinfolk in the Whittier, NC neighborhood. There are also backroad trails that parallel the Dragon that are worth exploring if U happen to ride a dual-sport variety! Guess the Cherohala Skyway is off-limits for the time being. >> https://www.wate.com/news/monroe-co...le-detour-around-washed-out-cherohala-skyway/ << If you’re a new NC resident, Jim, just go explore the backroads while U can before the winter winds start to blow and the roads become icy…

Be sure to investigate the Foothills Parkway neighborhood: [ N35° 43.103' W83° 49.343’ ].

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

I've been going to Deal's Gap just about every year for a week of riding with some friends since 2010. The cops usually sit at the ends of a couple of the straighter sections to catch the riders going for "lap records." As long as you sort of coast on the straights and aren't a club level racer or above, you can have all the fun you want, without worrying about the law.

We go the first full week in June. The weather then is typically more humid in the mornings, making the road a little sketchy for genuine hijinks. I have found that early evenings, after all the chrome cattle have gone to the trough, is the better time to ride it.

The last few years have gotten so bad that we will be there for a week and only ride it once or twice, and spend the rest of the time on the lessor known roads. You do owe it to yourself to toddle up to the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort on a Saturday morning to just sit and watch the circus, though.

You do owe it to yourself to toddle up to the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort on a Saturday morning to just sit and watch the circus, though.

Voni and I were there on Saturday in June a few years ago. We camped at the corner and rode north and then back south at first light with next to no traffic. Then we spent the morning watching folks arrive and depart, or unload their number plated race bikes and head north. A couple had to get trailers to come get them out of the ditch and back to the corner. A few extra pieces were added to the tree of shame.

My favorite however was when we rode it north to south to take a photo of the "tree of shame" at the corner as a bonus in the 2003, 11-day Iron Butt Rally. We paused at the north end for about ten minutes until first light, and then rode a silver ribbon of pavement among the dark trees. Magical

Last edited:
Back