• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

another questions about powder coating

brant914

Hi everyone,

todays question isn't as model specific... but the bike is a 1971 R75/5

sorry I have so many questions
todays is about powder coating and a gasket on the final drive.

my frame was powdercoated

they did not mask the surface where the gasket and final drive mount onto the driveshaft

I could clean the powdercoating off if needed.
I wonder what the experts think?

will the powder coating (if left over the drive shaft output) cause torque values for the final drive to be incorrect?

or phrased the other way
will cleaning the powdercoat off prior to installing the gasket, produce a more accurate torque value?

thanks in advance to any that have experience or recommendations
brant

torque

Well, torque is torque. In this case perhaps the better question would be will the powder coat affect the seal between the final drive, gasket, and Drive shaft tube. Personally, I would clean the powder coat off to bare metal just to be sure. Hope this helps? St.

+1 on removing the powder coat. It's brittle and WILL crack under pressure. I personally hate the stuff. I live on the far SW Washinton coast and our wet season is Oct thru June; couple that with salt from the ocean less than half-mile away and PC doesn't do well here. The first little crack in the coating and the salt starts working underneath the coating then huge chunks of coating fall off. I much prefer POR coating products. HAMMERITE has always been good but it's no longer produced.

My brother has renamed Powder Coat- Blister Coat. Use of PC seems to benefit manufacturers more that the consumers. I’m sure there is the exception- somewhere.
OM

If you are going to remove it from the flange area, I can recommend carefully “feather” sanding on the edges. Perhaps even sealing the edge with a little paint to prevent moisture from creeping under the edge.

Powder Coating blisters remind me of the old “bullet hole” rust spots along the mid-height trim on the old Cadillac cars.

OM

Quality

I am really sorry so many of you report problems with past powder coat frames and parts. Since I had my bikes powder coated, I have never seen any signs of blisters, peeling, cracking and so on. I have normal scuffing and scratches here and there but never have I seen salt get under the coating.

I ride all year round in a very highly road salted state. Maybe one day I will be surprised by rot unseen under the coating. For a number of years, that has not been the case.

One thing I can say is preparation of the surface to be coated is very important. This doesn't matter if it is paint, powder coat or other material, the more time and effort spent preparing the surface, the better the results.

I chose my powder coat shop based on their past performance and recommendations, as well as a detailed query into their procedures. I was very impressed with their stripping, cleaning, preparation of the parts before they coated. They were not cheap but not terribly expensive either, just very good.

Not saying those of you who have had problems were cheap in choosing your shops, just stating my experience. St.

Back