• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

American Heritiage Ride: MOA to RA rallies

gregfeeler

Dances With Sheep
For everyone considering attending both the BMW MOA and BMW RA rallies this summer, there will be a special event, the BMW MOA to BMW RA American Heritage Ride. The official post is on the 'MOA web page: http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally09//bmw_moa_to_ra_american_heritage_ride and the BMW RA site: http://www.bmwra.org/. This is the successor joint riding event to the 2006 Peaks Of America Tour. Registration will be limited to 100 bikes, and will be avaiable on the 'MOA web site approximately June 1.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

This year the BMW MOA and the BMW RA are holding their respective rallies on consecutive weekends. Some riders are planning to attend both rallies. So in the spirit of cooperation, the MOA and the RA have decided to offer those riders two specials.

-- We will recognize those riders who attend both rallies. A special sticker will be awarded to each person that shows their MOA wristband when they register at the RA Rally. It will be a motorcycle version of a bumper sticker.

-- In addition we are organizing the "MOA to RA American Heritage Ride." It will be a rolling rally that will start in Johnson City, TN, meander for five days, and conclude in Canaan Valley, WV

(The BMW MOA Rally is July 16 - 19, The BMW RA Rally is July 23 - 26)

For those unfamiliar with a rolling rally, it works like this:

The ride is designed to take place over several days. Everyone rides at there own pace, either by themselves or with others. At the end of each day's ride, all meet at a designated restaurant or stopping place, and share the camaraderie of the day's ride. The next day the process is repeated. Riders can go from one location to another, either by a suggested "scenic route" or by the shortest route, or make up their own ride.

The ride will go through Virginia, with the first night's stop being in the Blue Ridge area. Then it will head to the Atlantic, cross the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel (a low bridge so long there is a gas station in the middle) cross over into the Delmarva Peninsula. Then it will head to Assateague (undeveloped Atlantic shoreline, wild ponies and all that) then loop back through Maryland to West Virginia. The last night's stop before the RA rally will be at Bob's BMW where there will be a BBQ dinner. Each leg of the Rolling Rally can be completed in 250 miles or less. This allows for for each rider to take side trips to explore and see local attractions.

There will be a $35 registration fee, which will cover the BBQ at Bob's and a T-shirt commemorating the trip, a rally packet, an "American Heritage Ride." pin, and the motorcycle bumper sticker described above.

Riders need to pick up their packet and T-Shirt at the BMW RA booth at the MOA Country Store. Suggested itineraries for each day, plus hotel, camping, and dining information will be provided as part of the ride packet

There will be a short meeting on Saturday July 18th at 3:00 p.m., where any questions riders may have will be addressed.

Registration will be done on-line via the BMW MOA website, and will be limited to 100 motorcycles. Riders and passengers must register separately. On-line registration will open June 1st, and will close July 6th. If any available slots remain after that date, additional registration will be available at the RA booth at the MOA Rally.

Check the MOA and RA websites regularly, as more details will soon be released.

Greg,

I have no idea of all of the difficulties that putting this ride on will entail. It seems though, that a limit of 100 bikes is going to leave a lot of disappointed potential riders.

Greg,

I have no idea of all of the difficulties that putting this ride on will entail. It seems though, that a limit of 100 bikes is going to leave a lot of disappointed potential riders.

That's a good point, and one the organizing group has discussed. Part of the limit comes from the relatively last minute nature of this event, and part from the fact that the MOA and RA are still working out our communications. However, we also have a pattern going with this being the successor to the Peaks Of America Tour in 2006. In the future I expect to see much earlier coordination between the MOA and the RA and the ability to have co-sponsored rides that can accommodate many more riders. The support for these kinds of events is very strong with both national clubs. Not many years ago this kind of event wouldn't have been possible, but now we have some very good people on both working together to make it better for all BMW riders.

Great to see that the spirit of cooperation is continuing between RA and MOA.

Thanks Greg, and everyone else who is making this happen. :clap

Rolling Rally update

We've got some great riding planned between the two national rallies. We're also looking forward to hanging out with 100 great friends each night. Remember to check the site June 1st so you can sign up. These spots should fill up fast.

Also, would like an idea from any that are planning on doing this ride- Moteling or camping? This will give us a direction for the size of the accomodations.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.

Mark and Tina Doggett
Your Rolling Rally hosts:wave

Wanna Go!

I'll be camping unless you have GREAT alternatives.
When will be able to sign up?
Do I stay up until Midnite tonight or will it roll out in the morning?

The MOA expected to be up tomorrow with pre-registration. They're quite reliable so it probably will be up. As soon as I see it, I'll post it on the forum.
Tina:dance

Magic decoder ring to sign up>>>

I have been trying to sign up for the ride since midnight (now 7:15 AM) on June 1st. I figure the ride will fill up quick. But so far I can't seem to find out how?

Larry Cardo

I have been trying to sign up for the ride since midnight (now 7:15 AM) on June 1st. I figure the ride will fill up quick. But so far I can't seem to find out how?

Larry Cardo

I think you and I are in the same boat. There's probably a couple of thousand others of us, sitting at our keyboards hitting the "refresh" button on our browsers.

We'll probably crash the message board from too much traffic, then leave the computer for a while, only to lose our place "in line" to some interlopers who stumble upon the American Heritage Ride info for the first time!
:nyah

Edit: I'm in! See you there!:clap

Last edited:
Registration now open

Go to American Heritage Ride page. Scroll to bottom and click on "Register Now"

Larry Cardo

4 more from Columbus, also motel/camp. Depends on the weather & how much laundry needs done!?

California rider IN:)

I'm in for this one, too:). R1200GSA and camping, most likely. Some group rates at motels should be quite "interesting", if we gang up on some of the motels! Low rates? Randy:thumb

Rolling Rally Update

The Rolling Rally is filling up quickly. We expect to start posting information on lodging this weekend.

:thumb
Tina

Back