• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

air filter cover ???

jasiii

ok 2016 R1200RT is the bike

i removed all the body panels and got the air filter out and have replaced it but does anyone have any tips to get the air filter cover to properly seat ??

have been fiddling and trying different approaches but so far i have not had any luck :-<

Thanks in advance

Jim Sterling

You need to push back the fuel tank at the same time as you have the front edge of the air filter cover hooked to it's box.

Gentle application of a pry bar between the tank and airbox will allow it to drop into place.

it worked !!

Gentle application of a pry bar between the tank and airbox will allow it to drop into place.

used my old tire pry bars to move it back about 3/16 of an inch and the cover just dropped in place.

Thank You !!

Way did the engineer put that tab on the cover ? another life mysteries that will never be answered

used my old tire pry bars to move it back about 3/16 of an inch and the cover just dropped in place.

Thank You !!

Way did the engineer put that tab on the cover ? another life mysteries that will never be answered

Engineer never worked on a motorcycle......saw one drive by one time :whistle
OM

The design was done by the intern during Oktoberfest. When the guys and gals got back that afternoon they didn't notice much of anything.

After riding Harleys for 15 years it amazes me how complicated BMWs can be to work on, and at the same time, easy!

An air filter change on a Harley takes 10 minutes if you take time to open a beer. On a BMW it is a couple hours. Oil change on a Harley, three holes, oil filter buried in front of the engine and frame, no fill hole on the primary, six screws to open the derby cover. My RT, drop the LH panel to get to the filter, drain the final drive, screw it back together and fill the two holes. Less than an hour unless the beer tastes great. It seemed unfulfilling the first time I serviced my RT. Is that all there is?

An air filter change on a GS is a few minutes, and, no prying. Just sayin'

I guess the larger RT tank is shaped different than the RS and GS.
Like the GS the air filter cover goes back on without any prying.
Unlike the GS I have to take the tank side covers off to access the filter cover.

Air Filter Change Oct 2020 (5).JPG

I guess the larger RT tank is shaped different than the RS and GS.
Like the GS the air filter cover goes back on without any prying.
Unlike the GS I have to take the tank side covers off to access the filter cover.

View attachment 81513

With all the technology, the engineer didn't have time to worry about the RT air cleaner. He'll get to it next year after he works on the leaking brakes, which can't be done until the attorney's give the ok...... :p

E.

I've replaced the air filter on my '18 RT 3 times. The task became less onerous each time. Boxflyer's videos help tremendously. Even riding in dusty Arizona, the filters being replaced appear pristine compared to the bug-clogged filters on my K1300GT. I like being able to inspect the bike with the tupperware off, check accessory wiring etc, and clean it up a bit.

I've replaced the air filter on my '18 RT 3 times. The task became less onerous each time. Boxflyer's videos help tremendously. Even riding in dusty Arizona, the filters being replaced appear pristine compared to the bug-clogged filters on my K1300GT. I like being able to inspect the bike with the tupperware off, check accessory wiring etc, and clean it up a bit.

Same with our bikes. The air filter always looks clean on the RSs.
On the K1300S the filters usually had a good collection of bugs and both snorkels would have sand in them.

Back