• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250R Air Filter

BarryAlan

I live in a dry and very dusty area, Lubbock, TX, and decided to change the air filter at 7Kmi. The owner's manual made it look simple enough, but I found that the side panels would not separate adequately to remove the center panel. Am I nuts, or did I just remove and replace 29 screws just to replace the air filter? The OEM filter was still useable for a few more Kmi, but it has been so dry and the blowing dirt so fine that I wanted to replace it with a K&N so, worth it. Thoughts or opinions anyone?

The old joke is that BMW took an air filter and designed the bike around it. The K1200LT is a prime example of that btw... :laugh
All kidding aside, access to air filters is better on some bikes than others. On the GSA it is about 9 screws to get to the filter + the 4 on the filter housing itself.
Of course one of them is a different size screw head for no other reason then to tick off the guy (me) doing the work...Why would Hans and Fritz do that? Well because they can.....:dunno

Of course one of them is a different size screw head for no other reason then to tick off the guy (me) doing the work...Why would Hans and Fritz do that? Well because they can.....:dunno

I always shake my head needing two different bits to remove certain components. BMW’s way of asking you sure you want to do this… like the deletion question coming up on my computer… Are you SURE you want to delete? :lol

I live in a dry and very dusty area, Lubbock, TX, and decided to change the air filter at 7Kmi. The owner's manual made it look simple enough, but I found that the side panels would not separate adequately to remove the center panel. Am I nuts, or did I just remove and replace 29 screws just to replace the air filter? The OEM filter was still useable for a few more Kmi, but it has been so dry and the blowing dirt so fine that I wanted to replace it with a K&N so, worth it. Thoughts or opinions anyone?

Welcome to the forum!
A couple of years, considering the riding environment, a change out is probably worth it. One of the things you also get is the opportunity to see if a critter has been in snacking or making a house out of the air box. ;)
Not sure on the K&N so you have to choose that on your own. Probably good to have a vacuum cleaner with a brush handy to clean your way in and on your way out.
If everything looks good, it will give you a reference point for the next length of time/mileage.
Good luck.
Gary

Back