• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Affordable Y-Pipe + Great Function

bobnmona

Just a happy rider...
Hi all,

In the beginning of June, I ordered a y-pipe from Motad (http://www.motad.co.uk/product.php?prod=R1150+GS+Road+Replacement+Cat+pipe), which is located in the UK.

They make a stainless pipe that fits both GS and GSA (99-04 1150 and 07-09 1200) and it comes with a 10-year guarantee. The cost is 95 GBP + 65 GBP to ship to me in northern California - the total then came to $264.05, but currency exchange rates rise and fall, so it may be more expensive or cheaper by now.

Anyway, the y-pipe comes with new header clamps and two screws to secure it to the bike. I don't have a motorcycle lift and it took me a couple of hours to remove the cat, unscrew the Lamda/oxygen sensor, then screw in the oxygen sensor on the new y-pipe and get it attached to the headers and the stock muffler. Getting the muffler back on was the hardest part, since the receiver pipe on the muffler is designed to be tight-fitting. However, all was finally fitted together, clamps and screws tightened and torqued, muffler connected to the hanger on the left side, and the bike was ready to start-up.

The sound is absolutely beautiful! And the bike is nearly 15 pounds lighter, which is a plus too. I have read many posts about what people have had to do to make the bike run correctly when eliminating the cat, but all I did was readjust the throttle settings and the bike runs at 1150 rpm at operating temperature without a problem and has never had any problems starting - hot or cold. I should also mention that previously this year, I installed a Booster Plug, which raised my idle throttle speed slightly and helped by eliminating killing the engine in the morning when pulling away from stop lights. I'm not sure if that matters, but I wanted to mention it in case someone wonders if anything was done to the engine prior to y-pipe installation.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• mot_bmw-kol-r1150gs_1.jpg
    mot_bmw-kol-r1150gs_1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 120
Back