• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice for GS Tire Selection

gf72

After searching the reviews on the forums and manufacturers' websites, I still feel like I'm just guessing. I'm not comfortable walking into the local dealer and letting them "sell" me on a particular tire for fear that they'd just be pushing whatever they have in stock or need to unload. That fear may be unfounded, but I haven't yet built a relationship with a local dealer that I can trust. My bike is a 2002 1150GS. I bought it at the beginning of last season and rode roughly 6000 mostly paved miles on the Michelin Anakees that it came with. Living in Massachusetts, most of my riding is on pavement, but I am now actively seeking opportunities to get in the dirt. This years plans include a trip to Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Trans-Mass Trail and Puppy Dog Route through Vermont, a trip to Hamburg for the International Rally (if I can get away), and possibly an attempt at an IBA Saddle Sore. The remainder of my miles will come from commuting, long day rides on pavement, and exploring all the unpaved roads that I can find. Is a 90/10 on/off-road tire the right choice or do I need something more aggressive to get through the TMT/PDR ride? I will try to time this ride so that mud conditions are minimal. I'm guessing that something more aggressive would be unsuitable for the bulk of my mileage which is paved. I've read that the Heidenaus are a poor choice for wet pavement conditions which is a concern, because I don't want my paved road riding to be limited by weather conditions. I really don't have a whole lot of basis for comparison so I wouldn't expect to notice the subtle differences that a more experienced rider would pick up on. My goal is basically to not buy a completely inappropriate set of tires that would be dangerous or prevent me from completing the rides that I have planned. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Is a 90/10 on/off-road tire the right choice or do I need something more aggressive to get through the TMT/PDR ride? I will try to time this ride so that mud conditions are minimal.

This type of tire will be fine for the riding you describe. As you noted, mud (and mossy surfaces in water) will be something you'll want to avoid, but it's typically not completely impassible with tires of this type.

One interesting piece of middle ground between Heidenaus and the tamer 90/10 tread types is the Mitas E07s. These are a long-wearing tires with less-hard compound than the Heidenaus, they also maintain a rounder profile as they wear. Heidenaus square off badly. These tires work much better than Heidenaus when riding sporty through the twisties and are *much* better in the wet.

These types of tires (Heidenaus, Mitas) will "sing" a bit more noticeably than most 90/10 tires. You won't notice the noise if you wear earplugs.

One little bit of advice, in mud on 90/10 tires, get off and walk your bike through... especially if you are short.

Ian

ps -> technically, the 90/10, 50/50 et. al. ratings are intended to describe the ratio between tread surface and open space between the tread blocks, not the amount of time you spend on pavement vs. dirt. However, much of the marketing material out there does not seem to recognize this.

One little bit of advice, in mud on these type of tires, get off and walk your bike through... especially if you are short.

Sounds like the kind of advice based on first hand experience.

One semi related question. If running 90/10 tires, does lowering the air pressure when off road make any discernible difference?

Sounds like the kind of advice based on first hand experience.

:ha how'd you guess?

One semi related question. If running 90/10 tires, does lowering the air pressure when off road make any discernible difference?

Most definitely. 25-ish pounds front/rear makes all the difference in the world. Be considerate of rocks, roots and sharp edges.

However, I am too lazy to lower pressures because then you just have to pump them back up. ;)

Most definitely. 25-ish pounds front/rear makes all the difference in the world. Be considerate of rocks, roots and sharp edges.

Yes. And let me echo Visian's advice about being careful with rocks and stuff. Lower air pressure means a higher risk of damaging a wheel.

ps -> technically, the 90/10, 50/50 et. al. ratings are intended to describe the ratio between tread surface and open space between the tread blocks, not the amount of time you spend on pavement vs. dirt. However, much of the marketing material out there does not seem to recognize this.

Finally! I've always wondered what those numbers measure. :)

This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Interesting info about the meaning of the 90/10 ratio, I haven't seen it explained that way before, but it makes sense. I'll take a look at the Mitas. Thanks all and please keep it coming.

Mitas a good choice

This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Interesting info about the meaning of the 90/10 ratio, I haven't seen it explained that way before, but it makes sense. I'll take a look at the Mitas. Thanks all and please keep it coming.

I agree about the E-07 Dakars. My friend rides two up with plenty of gear and is getting over 20K KM (12K miles).

I too want to ride a lot more back roads and even the odd farmer's field and loggers trails.

Good luck,

Thanks Rhodee. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm leaning heavily in the direction of the Mitas's. It's good to hear another positive review. :thumb

If you are going to do the Puppy Dog ride

this year, before you go i would reach out to folks from the VT club to see what the conditions appear to be. There have been years, where the mud was so deep that anything less than knobby tires left you just spinning your wheels.

Back