• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS System K1200LT

Regis0121

I just bought a k1200lt that has a failure abs, the previus owner told me that he change all sensors but the problem is the pump. I also have a 1150RT working just fine. The questoins is these to bikes has the same abs pump may i shift them to see if will make the 1200LT work back. Do anyone has or know where i can find a used abs pump?

Welcome to the forum! I just checked the Marketplace and didn't see anyone offering an ABS pump for sale. You could try putting a wanted ad there in hopes of finding a member who might have one to sell.

If you are asking whether you can pull the pump from your RT and install it into the LT, I would recommend you look at one of the main on-line parts lists (Bob's, Chicago, A&S, etc) and compare the part numbers for each bike. If they are the same, chances are you can swap the main pump. I would be surprised if that they will be the same, but I don't really know. Not knowing the year of either of you bikes, no way I can quickly check, but you can. Good luck.

Thank you Guys for all info, i just came back from a Dealer where i change the front tire. Just like you said different part number for these pump from 1150RT and 1200LT. I will post later that i'm needing one and see what happens. Thanks again guys.

Have you personally checked the codes to verify that it is indeed the pump?

Have you reset the codes and then got the same code?

Or do you just want to beleive what the previous owner told you with no verification? After all, he was the one who changed a bunch of good parts for no reason before he "determined" that it was the pump.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Hi Lee, thank you. That was good. The answer is...no, i did not check myself but i took it to a BMW Dealer to find out and they told me the Bike didnt communicated with the diagnostic module what make them believe that the ABS Pump is defect. I check some other forum where they said about bleed the system as the recomended procedure.

I'd be surprised if the ABS modules are interchangeable. However, life is full of surprises.

There's any easy way to see if the pump is working. Turn on the ignition (don't start the motor), without moving, apply the front brake. You should hear the pump motor whine. No whine, no pump.

One desperation trick you can try: apply the rear brake in gravel. Do not, not, not use the front brake. DAHIK Anyway, hit the rear brake and it may lock up or the ABS might wake up and go back to work. Don't do this at high speed, and expect the rear wheel to lock up.

There is a company that rebuilds ABS units. However, the chances of a dealer installing one are not great - liability and warranty issues.

I'd be surprised if the ABS modules are interchangeable. However, life is full of surprises.

There's any easy way to see if the pump is working. Turn on the ignition (don't start the motor), without moving, apply the front brake. You should hear the pump motor whine. No whine, no pump.

One desperation trick you can try: apply the rear brake in gravel. Do not, not, not use the front brake. DAHIK Anyway, hit the rear brake and it may lock up or the ABS might wake up and go back to work. Don't do this at high speed, and expect the rear wheel to lock up.

There is a company that rebuilds ABS units. However, the chances of a dealer installing one are not great - liability and warranty issues.
Hi Emerson, thank you. When i turn ignition on after 1 or 2 seconds, warning red triangle goes on solid and abs failure start flashing fast and the ABS Pump goes on too and stay with no brake apply. As i mention before i took the bike to BMW to replace a tire and ask to diagnostic too, but they said It didnt connect with the diagnostic module.

ABS Failure

I just bought a k1200lt that has a failure abs, the previus owner told me that he change all sensors but the problem is the pump. I also have a 1150RT working just fine. The questoins is these to bikes has the same abs pump may i shift them to see if will make the 1200LT work back. Do anyone has or know where i can find a used abs pump?

Good Luck on finding a "used" one. Mine failed a few years ago and $1100 later a new one is installed. I was planning a long trip and my passenger wanted the comfort of "safety."

Hi Emerson, thank you. When i turn ignition on after 1 or 2 seconds, warning red triangle goes on solid and abs failure start flashing fast and the ABS Pump goes on too and stay with no brake apply. As i mention before i took the bike to BMW to replace a tire and ask to diagnostic too, but they said It didnt connect with the diagnostic module.

Have you checked the switches at front and rear brake controls to verify that you don't have a stuck switch or shorted wire? Along with that, verifying that the F/R master cylinders are releasing all the way? I had a similar failure mode on my 04 GT while still under warranty. Dealer replaced rear master cylinder and the reservoir, which on the GT is a single split reservoir that serves both front and rear circuits. The master cylinder was sticking, and one fluid level sensor in the reservoir had failed. Solved the problem for me. If brake pressure is being applied when the ignition is turned on, self-diagnosis can't complete--and the pump runs because it's switch has been triggered at the M/C.

Having said that, the real key to your issue may be in the dealer's comment about the ABS module not communicating with their diagnostic computer. You may have a good ABS pump but a failed controller module. Module Masters in Idaho can rebuild some of the modules, but not for all modules--R1150RS units, for example.

Anyway, just another idea in the mix.

Good luck, hope you find a solution.

DG

The K1200LT had three different style of ABS modules. I don't see the year of the bike anywhere in this thread. The 1999 to 2001 K1200LT years are the only ABS module rebuild-able that I know of.

ABS pump

Go to Kt1200lt parts and accessories on Ebay , put in the search ABS and the year they are not all the same.

Hi Lee, thank you. That was good. The answer is...no, i did not check myself but i took it to a BMW Dealer to find out and they told me the Bike didnt communicated with the diagnostic module what make them believe that the ABS Pump is defect. I check some other forum where they said about bleed the system as the recomended procedure.

I would be concerned with no communication. I think if I had that error, I would go back to grounds, fuses, power connections and they do have a relay that can go bad. Just cause they say the module isn't serviceable is another way of saying we don't want to the work to determine the real problem.

Back