• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Abs rear circuit fault

slowrider60

ABS Rear Circuit Fault

I do not know how to proceed so I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
I have an 02 R1150R with about 65k. I have owned this bike for about 7 years. It had 25k on the clock when I found it. She has been well cared for and has given me much enjoyment in return. I have done most everything myself except for the final drive that went around 40k.
I do the ABS flush myself and was last performed last year. At that time I broke a pin off the ABS connector and sent it out to Indiana for repair. I was glad I used Module Master. They were great. While the unit was there, they checked everything out and told me the unit was working fine. I have had NO issues with the unit since or with the bike until last week. I rode home from work on a Thur. with no issues. When i got on to go to work on Fri., i had an ABS fault. I determined it was with the rear brakes. If i pulled in the front brake i could hear the pump come on. When I put my foot down on the rear brake, there was nothing. I went through the basics, checked brake lights, fluid in the rear brake reservoir and checked the battery. All was well. I than took the tank off and checked both ABS reservoirs and both were full.
I pulled the rear ABS wheel sensor and wiped it clean. no change. I am wondering if there is anything else that I can do?
I appreciate any help offered.
Thanks,
Steve

The first thing you need to do is identify your ABS fault code. This should point you to the problem. There is a lot of info on how to do this and one place to start is here: http://largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

I've also attached a Fault Code Guide for the Motronic and ABS systems for you that should be helpful.

View attachment 68904

Thanks for your help, i appreciate it. I think i will try to find someone with a GS911. The local shops are very expensive just to hook to their computer.

I do not know how to proceed so I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
I have an 02 R1150R with about 65k. I have owned this bike for about 7 years. It had 25k on the clock when I found it. She has been well cared for and has given me much enjoyment in return. I have done most everything myself except for the final drive that went around 40k.
I do the ABS flush myself and was last performed last year. At that time I broke a pin off the ABS connector and sent it out to Indiana for repair. I was glad I used Module Master. They were great. While the unit was there, they checked everything out and told me the unit was working fine. I have had NO issues with the unit since or with the bike until last week. I rode home from work on a Thur. with no issues. When i got on to go to work on Fri., i had an ABS fault. I determined it was with the rear brakes. If i pulled in the front brake i could hear the pump come on. When I put my foot down on the rear brake, there was nothing. I went through the basics, checked brake lights, fluid in the rear brake reservoir and checked the battery. All was well. I than took the tank off and checked both ABS reservoirs and both were full.
I pulled the rear ABS wheel sensor and wiped it clean. no change. I am wondering if there is anything else that I can do?
I appreciate any help offered.
Thanks,
Steve

Bike off, on centerstand.
Crouch down and listen carefully to the brake lever when operating.
You should hear the microswitch click just after the lever moves down.
If not, find out why.
If it does click, the follow the wire pair up to the white connector under the seat.
Unplug and put an ohmmeter on the switch end (2 pins)
You should get 0 ohms at rest and open circuit when the lever is depressed. (switch logic is opposite on ABS III servo braking system)

Report back

Bike off, on centerstand.
Crouch down and listen carefully to the brake lever when operating.
You should hear the microswitch click just after the lever moves down.
If not, find out why.
If it does click, the follow the wire pair up to the white connector under the seat.
Unplug and put an ohmmeter on the switch end (2 pins)
You should get 0 ohms at rest and open circuit when the lever is depressed. (switch logic is opposite on ABS III servo braking system)

Report back

Thanks for the suggestion. I first suspected this but the brake lights do work. From what i was reading, the ABS unit is what sends the signal to the brake lights. Could the brake switch be malfunctioning and still be able to send a signal to the ABS?

Thanks for the suggestion. I first suspected this but the brake lights do work. From what i was reading, the ABS unit is what sends the signal to the brake lights. Could the brake switch be malfunctioning and still be able to send a signal to the ABS?

Both switches are supervised by the ABS (hence the closed in rest position)
Your switch is ok.
(I missed your comment re brake lights)
As said above, scanning is next.

Last edited:
Both switches are supervised by the ABS (hence the closed in rest position)
Your switch is ok.
(I missed your comment re brake lights)
As said above, scanning is next.

Yah, I think you are right. I have some feelers sent out looking for someone close who has a GS911 that i can borrow but nothing yet. i have also tried reaching out to Module Masters for some hints. Nothing yet.
I appreciate your time.
happy riding!

Yah, I think you are right. I have some feelers sent out looking for someone close who has a GS911 that i can borrow but nothing yet. i have also tried reaching out to Module Masters for some hints. Nothing yet.
I appreciate your time.
happy riding!

Where are you located?

Where are you located?

Sorry it took so long to respond. busy weekend. I live just south of Boston. I got lucky and Wagner in Shrewsbury Ma told me to bring it in and they would only charge me 1/2hr labor to hook it up to the computer. They cleared the fault and it did not return. So far so good! it is a little concerning not knowing what triggered it. It is also too bad that we have to go to a dealer to reset it also.
Thanks for reaching out to me. I do appreciate it.

Sorry it took so long to respond. busy weekend. I live just south of Boston. I got lucky and Wagner in Shrewsbury Ma told me to bring it in and they would only charge me 1/2hr labor to hook it up to the computer. They cleared the fault and it did not return. So far so good! it is a little concerning not knowing what triggered it. It is also too bad that we have to go to a dealer to reset it also.
Thanks for reaching out to me. I do appreciate it.

Resetting your ABS faults is easy and described in the 2nd link I posted in case you need to do that again somtime. No dealer or mechanics required. :thumb

Resetting your ABS faults is easy and described in the 2nd link I posted in case you need to do that again somtime. No dealer or mechanics required. :thumb

Thanks. i did look at it and unless i am missing something, i cant find how to reset the Integral ABS. Everything listed seems to be for either ABS1 or ABS2, not IABS.

iABS Rear Circuit Fault

Thanks. i did look at it and unless i am missing something, i cant find how to reset the Integral ABS. Everything listed seems to be for either ABS1 or ABS2, not IABS.

I just received an older yellow GS911 USB. the install was fairly easy. I read the fault codes and there were 3. 17423 and 17167 (invalid vehicle coding) and 17915 (defective warning lamp).
Does anyone know what could be the problem? Does it mean the actual warning lamp bulb on the instrument cluster?
I welcome any information anyone may have. I am looking forward to the day i can put this behind me.

Back