• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

95 K75RT Seat Fitment issues

nate.miller

I'll start by saying that my friend posted almost the exact same question to no resolution- but I'm experiencing it with a totally different bike and seat combination!

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?78461-K75S-High-Seat

I've got a K75RT with what appears to be a 'factory' Corbin Canyon Dual-sport seat. It's vinyl covered, rather than the leather that Corbin always uses. I haven't been able to find much information on it, otherwise.

It's torn and needs to be recovered. All the options I've found to recover it (good vinyl guy locally, or Corbin, or Russel) want around $450 - 550 to recover it- at which point I might as well buy new.

I found a "recently recovered" Day-Long on Ebay, which came off a '93 K75. Everything I've found indicates that it should fit- so I purchased it. However, the nose is significantly shorter than my original seats. It touches the rubber bumpers on the tank, but the gap there is ridiculous. It's almost like there should be a rubber skirt or something there to cover the gap, but I haven't been able to find anything similar.

The nose to tail measurement on the new seat is a full 1" shorter than the original seat. When I put the new seat on the hinges and lock channel, it sits perfectly flush on the tail, and looks like it fits the frame wonderfully- but something here is missing. The Russel looks like it was built on a BMW pan, but I can't find details on the P/N- 52.53 453.497.0

My question now becomes:
I've been led to believe that seats is seats on these bikes; I'm now thinking that's not the case- how do I determine what actually fits my bike?

K75_Russell_Nose.jpg

Attachments

• K75_Corbin_nose.jpg
    K75_Corbin_nose.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 88
  • K75_Russell_Fitted.jpg
    K75_Russell_Fitted.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 89
There's a picture of the seat pan- I assume that the markings in the middle aren't deformed numbers, and I'm reading the p/n properly.

K75_Russel_seat_pan_P-N.jpg

And a wide shot of the Corbin. Pretty easy to see why I want a new seat. Poor thing.
K75RT_Corbin_Wide.jpg

Here is what my Russell (on a '95 K75S) looks like - it's similar... My seat supposedly has the "heavy" version springs inside for both rider and passenger?? I'm not sure if that causes the seat to "fold-in" more than it would before you sit on it? The gas tank bra that I have causes the illusion that there isn't as much space, but my fingers fit comfortably. The pan, however, seems to be different than the one you posted. I'm sure you've adjusted the locking mechanism as much as possible to try to close the gap?

IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3232.jpgIMG_3233.jpg

K75 RT seat

Just a few thoughts and personal opinions on your predicament. I am not responsible for errors herein. I tried that once and it didn't work out too good.

The Russel seat may have been one that fits just the low seat models. The low seat tank shroud may have filled the gap present on that seat. Although the photo shows some waves or ripples that make the nose appear to have been pulled back. Russel are the professionals, so they should know.

The original seat, the "factory" Corbin", came as a new bike option. Yours appears to be a "Dual (Sport?) Canyon". There were different versions, which were different shapes and designs. I have had one since new in '92 and it is so comfortable, for both solo and 2-up, that I have had it covered at least 4-5 times. Over the years, cost went from $60 to $125 from the local upholstery folks and due to economics, the (nice) details gradually disappeared.They always did a nice job and the last covering was just plain smooth covering and not even piping. I got used to it because I liked theat seat functionality so much.

*I find it really hard to believe that your local upholsterers want that much money*.
A different market wherever you are from maybe. Ride with the gap seat and double check on keeping the locals busy. Compromise on details but not quality, to keep the cost down, if you can live with that.

I covered my seat, myself, the last time. It took 2 attempts, but for $30-$50 (twice), for a good grade marine vinyl, the second attempt, and a lot of learning, it turned out very acceptable. Very basic upholstery re-covering for the people that do it for a living.

And yes, the original covering was vinyl as, I think, you probably get much longer life from vinyl rather than leather. Cost is also a large factor. A lot of leather is not really leather.

And finally, send a Private Message please, right after, if you ever list that seat in the "For Sale" part of the forum. I haven't gotten into the habit of viewing it, since it has been revised. Hallelujah ! Maybe.

Charlie

Back