• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'95 K1100LT Stalling

jayskerdoo

There is a 14 year old thread on here titled "95 K1100LT intermittent stalling problem", and I have been able to get some advice from there, but my issue seems a bit worse. The bike ran fine for the past 3,500 mi during my x-country, but now back home it is acting up.

First it will begin to exhibit very erratic power delivery: although I am consistent on the throttle, it's as if I am twisting the thing all around. Same with the choke on. The bike will jerk around, then at the next stop sign or traffic light (and sometimes even a slow speed turn) it will will just stall out and die. I then go to start it back up and it will either turn over endlessly without starting, or take a while to turn over and will start up a bit grudgingly. Then it will ride fine for 20-30 minutes and do the same thing all over again. When it doesn't start, if i wait 5-10 minutes it will turn right over and run like a beast. Then, still, 20-30 minutes later the issue is back.

This has only been happening for about 100 miles. It was sitting for a week after my trip, outside, and the cover had blown off. We then got hit with some decent rain. I was advised by a motoworks mechanic to, when replacing the fuel filter (first on my list) to check for any water in the corners of the tank. Would water in the tank cause something like this to happen sporadically like it is? In which case I could replace the seals at the gas cap, etc. Additionally he mentioned two venting tubes from the tank that, if they are clogged, can cause something like this.

Lastly, I did have my starter relay stick on me a few months ago, and was able to knock it loose. No chance this is interfering, right?

Here is my current plan of attack, any advice is appreciated.

1. Replace fuel filter and check venting tubes
2. Check motronic connection for corrosion and clean, so ground is strong
3. Replace 5A fuse for the fuel and temp gauges (separate issue but hey, you never know)
3. Check and set idle speed (when it does run fine, idle is great so this is just to cover my bases)
4. Clean off crank case vent/breather tube to check for cracks (looks fine so far though)
5. Replace temp sensor (anyone have the part number for the coolant temp sensor I found this one on euro moto electrics https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/tempsens-k184.htm but it says it's used for air and coolant, are they the same?
6. Replace hall sensor (I read that you can test them using a hair dryer so probably that first)
7. New Plugs

I'm thinking the air temp sensor, motronic connection, fuel filter, and new plugs are the most important. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

J

My money is on water in the fuel, but it's purely a guess.
I'd empty the tank, put in a new filter, add fresh fuel and give it a try.

Your list seems reasonable, though some items seem like a real stretch. Can't see any that would hurt.

Hello,

You can check the venting by opening the fuel cap. I would, (as soon as the poor running begins) pull over and open the fuel cap, close it and start riding again. if the line in clogged, opening the cap will let air in the tank.

If the vent line is clear, I would check the connection for the fuel injection module, pretty easy to do. If that isn't the problem I would suspect heat causing a problem with the hall sensors.

Also, if their is water in the tank you should be able to see it at the bottom of the tank.

By the way, where do you live?

Regards,

Richard Flood
Commerce Township, Michigan

Back