• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

94 R1100RS Oil pressure switch and general parts questions

ultrarunner

Hello all. If it is not obvious, I am new to the forum- I put up a brief intro in the New Member section. I just purchased a 94 R1100RS a couple of days ago, and am very happy with it. When I purchased it, I noticed the oil pressure switch (I did not know that is what it was at the time...) was weeping oil. I wasn't very concerned, as it is an electrical sensor with a rubber boot on a 24 year old bike. So, I put about 100 miles on it yesterday, and was anxious to get on it today- my first stop being my father's house, to show off the bike. When it was time to leave, I turned the bike on and started out the driveway when I noticed the oil light on. So, I turned the bike off and it dripped a little oil (1 tablespoon or so) from the switch. I put it on the center stand, and oil level was fine. I did enough reading online to figure out it was the oil pressure switch, and not the pump or actual pressure. I cleaned up the contact, and then rode home 7 miles, a bit nervous, but ok. A couple of miles down the road I looked down and had a fair amount of oil on the shift peg and my boot, and at 5 miles, the oil pressure light went out.

All of this brings me to an actual question: where are members buying parts online? I found a switch from a dealer through Amazon, from San Francisco. What I did not find was a good online source for parts specific to older BMWs. I'm a little surprised, and assume that I have not looked in the right places. I am familiar with Beemerboneyard.

I have also found a pdf of the service manual. Anyone know where I can get a print version? I prefer to get a book dirty in the shop as opposed to my computer.... Is the Clymer manual any good? Thanks for the information.

Welcome. Just about every dealer, and a few online vendors that aren’t dealers, have the BMW parts catalog available online. Note that sometimes it is called the parts fiche. Pretty much all of them are selling at MSRP. New BMW parts are not discounted. Used parts are available from Beemer Boneyard and they also offer alternatives to some parts at a savings. Personally, I would not go used for the oil pressure switch. There are a bunch of other vendors selling used parts, several bike breakers on eBay.

BMW dealers all carry parts for your bike. That’s why they are there. They may not work on bikes that are more than 10 or 15 years old, but they are the best source for the parts you need.

Many other places carry BMW parts, but they all get them from a dealership. If you are near a dealer, get to know the people there. If you aren’t, then see if there is a good independent shop near you. Are you near Greer? If so, look up Phast By Phillips.

If you use a part's fiche like RealOem or Bob's or others and find your part number, daGoogle Machine will find it for you as well. In the case of that switch, you will find it for $12.00 at almost any parts place. It was used on just everything made in German that had an engine.

Back