• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Cooler lines 1998 R1100RS

CleanGene

Happy New Year to all

The oil cooler lines on my '98 R1100RS have been leaking enough to get the lines oily, not enough to drip yet.

I looked up the parts on the online microfiche of a couple well known parts suppliers, but none seem to apply to my model year. They seem to end with those built by 12/97 and I can't find any reference to my model year.

There appears to be a different type of connection at the cooler used on those models, as the one on mine (and I'm thinking specifically of the one on the left side of the engine) has no coupling nut, but is rather plain oil cooler type hose secured to the oil cooler by a radiator style clamp. The other side of the oil cooler has a similar attachment for the oil cooler line.

Is there a different solution from a different bike model? Or should I try to locate a complete oil cooler with lines from a different year? Or am I looking for parts in the wrong place?

Thanks
Clean Gene in WI

I'll be damned. I don't know how I missed this.

Thank you for providing the info and pointing me in the right direction.

Clean Gene

I have not had the oil cooler lines leak on my 94 R1100RS. I have had the oil cooler lines leak on my 93 R100GS/PD. The leak likely comes from my moving the cover over the oil filter. The oil lines are similar to hydraulic brake lines in that the line makes a connection using a "banjo" bolt with a couple of "crush" washers. It is intended that one replace the aluminum or copper "crush" washers when the line / fitting is disturbed. There are torque specs for tightening the banjo bolt. The "crush" washer is deformed when tightened to spec and is not re-usable. I keep a bag of these "crush" washers on hand.

Back