• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'81 R100RT rear shocks, need replacement advice

M

mbrause

I'm having trouble deciding on a good replacement for the BOGE rear shocks on my bike. This is only the second set in the 25 years the bike has been running and I have been reasonably happy with them. I asked the dealers how much for a new set and was floored by the price ($500+ each). The last set cost me about $120 (long time ago) each and I thought that was a lot!

Options I am looking at are: Ikon 7610 @ $280; Ikon 7614 @ $360 and Progressive 418 @ $400. I have no experience with either brand and am wondering if the gas charged shock is worth the extra money. I am finding that it is not easy to find replacemnt items for a '81 bike other than with stock items.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Manfred
N. Yarmouth, Maine

I have a 1978 R80/7 with Luftmeister Fairing, tail trunk, and Krauser Bags with Koni Shocks that have been on there since 1981. From what I understand the Ikon 7610 is supposed to be the same shock.<p>The point is that if they are the same shock I think they will be very good for you. I now have 75,000 miles on the bike and the Koni shocks still work fine.<p>The improvements over the original stock shocks in load carrying capacity and damping is considerable. When I had the original BMW shocks on the bike and was riding two up with my wife the bike would bottom out and rode like a pogo stick.<p>I don't know what country makes the Ikon and I don't know if they have the quality of the Koni's or if they are like a cheap tool that looks like the real thing until you use it and find out it is junk.<p> Has anyone tried the Ikon's?

Ikon = Koni ?

According to my dealer the Ikon Mfg has the Koni tooling to build the same shocks. They are made in Australia and are of equal quality - I hope. I see the Koni type in many of the pictures of similar bikes to mine. My old ones (BMW BOGE) are self-leveling but are now sagging ÔÇô again.
As far as I know the KoniÔÇÖs were not gas charged but now the Ikon has a model that is.
Is it worth the extra money for this feature?
Based on your comment I feel that 7610 will probably serve me very well.

The "old" Koni 7610 shocks had damping adjustment, to compensate for wear. IOW, as long as the seal kept sealing, and the shock had fluid, you could "rebuild" the damping in 5 steps.

To increase the damping, remove the shock, remove the spring, push the damper rod all the way to the bottom, where it engages with a slot in the valve adjuster. Turn all the way counterclockwise to "zero", then turn clockwise to increase damping.

If the Ikon shocks are the same as the Koni shocks, they should work fine and last a long time.

On the other hand, Ikon doesn't yet have much history, and it would be nice to have a company with a track record and potential future.

Works Performance Products ("Works") has a complete line of shocks for all BMW models, and a good track record. www.worksperformance.com or 818 710 1010

One advantage of dealing with Works is getting a shock and spring to match your particular needs. Add up the weight you intend to carry on the rear wheel, make a few measurements, and they will build a shock (or pair of shocks) with appropriate springs. Works has a variety of models and spring types, including dual rate.

pmdave

I have the "IKON's"...

7610's, I believe, on my R100RS. I'm very satisified. If you can get them for $280, that's a good price. Last I heard most were paying $300+ for a set.

I just put 7610's on my dad's R90/6. I don't have many miles on them, yet, but so far I am very happy with them. They handle really well.

Need to understand BMW shocks.

In 1981, the RT came with Boge "Nivomat" shocks, which are self leveling. A little bouncing causes them to pump up to the same place every time, thus compensating for passenger, etc.

Suggested list for these is indeed $484 ea.

These were fitted to the RT solely to create a "luxury" image. There is no adjustment other than the self adjustment for ride height.

Now, the CS and RS in that same year came with a conventional Boge shock with click adjusters to preload the spring.

Suggested list for these is $432 and they of course work on an RT.

For the HD version, $432.

However, if you already have these, the hydraulic unit by itself is just $185. Reuse your spring, adjuster, etc.

Hi,
My '81 R100RT (bought new) came with the Boge 'Nivomat' shocks. They pumped themselves up after a few hundred yards. They were reasonably comfortable and did work for me, wife and luggage. When Harriet rode the bike by herself, she hated the shocks because they pumped up and made the bike too tall for her. Years later, after selling it and later buying it back, the shocks were trashed (leaking and worn out) and I replaced them with Koni 7610 shocks. They worked fine, even for Harriet. Today, if you're looking for inexpensive shocks, look for Hagon from Dave Quinn, then IKON, then ??? . Good Luck!

Back