• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

76 R90/6 turn signal relay/flasher

Djohnson1967

Well, I seem to go from one elec problem to another. I have ABOUT got the brakes=horn problem sorted out. Now on to the others
My turn signals flash VERY rapidly (both left and right) and yes, all 4 lights work, also, the relay/flasher has a very fast(matches the lights flicker)clicking noise.
1. is there a way to test that flasher, and (2) is there a source other than BMW original for replacement? I have considered buying one at local auto zone, "jumpering" it to the female connector just to verify that's the problem. Any other idea's out there?

Don J
76 R90/6 ( my current ulcer generator)
04 GS Dakar
08 RT
4 Vintage Honda's (2 running and 2 in line) and 1 RD250 Yamahammer

Well, I seem to go from one elec problem to another. I have ABOUT got the brakes=horn problem sorted out. Now on to the others
My turn signals flash VERY rapidly (both left and right) and yes, all 4 lights work, also, the relay/flasher has a very fast(matches the lights flicker)clicking noise.
1. is there a way to test that flasher, and (2) is there a source other than BMW original for replacement? I have considered buying one at local auto zone, "jumpering" it to the female connector just to verify that's the problem. Any other idea's out there?

Don J
76 R90/6 ( my current ulcer generator)
04 GS Dakar
08 RT
4 Vintage Honda's (2 running and 2 in line) and 1 RD250 Yamahammer

Hi, I changed the flasher on my 76 R90/6 to an automotive type with a pilot function ( flashes the display lamp)..........Regards, Rod.

Don J

Here is a suggestion I have used over and over again with great success before I went out and purchased anything!

Take the flasher/relay off and figure out how to disassemble. Usually bending tabs (which could break off) or some lip or something. Then totally clean out, using very fine wet-or-dry sanding paper, and electrical contact cleaner. check wiring connections and re-solder if necessary. Clean all wiring connections. Sometimes I ** carefully ** use muratic acid to clean brass connections using "Q-Tips" to apply light amounts to surfaces. Clean off with clear water.

Makes even the oldest relays and flashers come back to life!

Then I re-assemble using old tabs if still usable, or I invent a way to reassemble (like using wire ties, and also sealing with a good silicon sealer to keep out future moisture, etc.

I still have all of my original relays on a 38 year old bike!

I strongly suspect that the issue is caused by the signal bulbs being higher wattage bulbs than originally specified. The higher wattage current draw causes the flasher to flash more quicly. I have seen this several times both with new bigger bulbs as well as when a trailer with extra lights was connected to the flasher circuit.

Thanks Paul and Jimmylee

Both excellent ideas. I will first ck bulbs, compared to stock, then try the take apart theory.
I just have never subscribed to the "replace parts til you fix it practice".
Hey its all fun! fortunate it's not my daily rider
woke up this morning, left home on a '74 Honda CB360T. kept me grinning for several hours!

I strongly suspect that the issue is caused by the signal bulbs being higher wattage bulbs than originally specified. The higher wattage current draw causes the flasher to flash more quicly. I have seen this several times both with new bigger bulbs as well as when a trailer with extra lights was connected to the flasher circuit.

I pull a trailer - but it has only two regular turn bulbs. But when I do, I attach the wiring harness to the connector just under the seat which, then, disables the flashers/tail bulbs actually on the bike, so my flasher still only is affecting one bulb at a time.

Back