• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2024 National Rally: REDMOND Oregon

Oregon roadway and traffic enhancement clarification...

Now in State Law effective 1/1/24.
Notice the wording "or driver moving at least 5 miles per hour under". Nice!

"Yes, you can pass the slow bike in the no-passing zone".

Senate Bill 895 clarifies the definition of an “obstruction,” to allow a driver to pass in a no-passing zone if an obstruction or driver moving at least 5 miles per hour under the speed limit is in the roadway. The law clarifies that a person riding a bicycle is included in the definition of an “obstruction.”

"Yes, you can pass the slow bike in the no-passing zone".

Senate Bill 895 clarifies the definition of an “obstruction,” to allow a driver to pass in a no-passing zone if an obstruction or driver moving at least 5 miles per hour under the speed limit is in the roadway. .”

Can you legally exceed the speed limit when passing in this situation.

I would, but it's nice to know what the law is.

Can you legally exceed the speed limit when passing in this situation.

I would, but it's nice to know what the law is.

I believe in safety first, so in moderation as the situation dictates. As in the Canadian method, pass efficiently then slow to the limit. Legal, don't know. But practicable... yes!

In Montana it is legal to exceed the speed limit by 10MPH while passing on a two lane highway if passing is otherwise legal.

I believe in safety first, so in moderation as the situation dictates. As in the Canadian method, pass efficiently then slow to the limit. Legal, don't know. But practicable... yes!

I was just curious.
The new law is not much help if you can't exceed the limit.
When passing on a double yellow you normally have to do it fast.

I was just curious.
The new law is not much help if you can't exceed the limit.
When passing on a double yellow you normally have to do it fast.

Regardless of how many wheels or yellow lines are under me I’ve always maintained it’s safest to pass with authority and spend as little time as possible in the left lane. I explained that once to a UHP trooper and he accepted it enough to give me an either/or choice on the ticket…
:)

Best,
DeVern

I used to ride with a Charlotte motor officer who described the passing of an 180-wheeler as "the kill zone". Whenever I pass an 18-wheeler or most any vehicle for that matter I do it as quickly as I can for safety. If I were ever to get stopped I would explain it as such. Most LEO's I have encountered understand the risks when riding on 2 wheels.

It's gonna be tough for me to get there, too. What with having to ride Highway 1 all the way up there, then cutting across the coastal range before dropping into Redmond. It's gonna be tough with all those curves in the road and everything, but I think I can power through.

Dunno why you need to throw shade on other Americans, but whatevs, I guess.

I'll be heading up from Long Beach - planning on 1 day to Crystal Lake, and then on to Sisters sometime the next after looking around the lake.

It's a respect thing. You won't find me slagging on other states and would appreciate it if others would use the same courtesy.

I've been to 49 states and rode from my house to 48 of them. They all have something wonderful about them. Seriously. Every state in this nation has some amazing aspect and they are, in the main, filled with wonderful people that have welcomed me to their world when I've visited.

But comments here seem to overlook that. It's tiresome and disrespectful and I'm really over it. The "commiefornia", "Kalifornia" and similar are not conducive to respectful conversations in the least, but they seem to be fine with the mods.

It's disappointing.

It's even more disappointing when checking into a hotel, and when answering the desk clerks question of where you are from their response is "I'm sorry." I love it here. Some of the best riding in the country, ocean to 7000 ft elevation a couple hours. Yes, there are issues, but there are issues everywhere.

Where will you be 5 months from today?

It will be Rally time!

Many are in the grip of winter about now... but a warm June day in Oregon could be on the horizon.

Good time to make a plan.

Last edited:
A Good Time to make a plan…

About this hour in the outback of north Florida on this Saturday night…
a BIG fire is roaring at the NE Florida's Club Winter Rally.
The annual kick-off of the yearly Club Rally schedule.

I couldn’t be there this year, but I’m guessing some folks will be figure’n on when and how they’ll be arriving into Oregon this June.
The NEF Club always has fantastic participation at the National.
So many… they have to go off site for dinner to count members in attendance!

Good chance there’s a rally recruiter there this weekend.
Rides a shiny blue RT and has Redmond Co-Chair duties.

Florida's coolest Rally… might actually be chilly’er than cool… it may be cold!
Again.

I've just completed a good read in the BMWON Jan/Feb mega-issue, provided by Rally Co-Chair Reese Mullins.
The report from his Redmond trip negotiations and look-see. Informative and well written.
Content that will certainly get you motivated for... a ride to Redmond!

Just planned out our trip to Redmond. It'll be 40 days and just under 8,000 miles and all of it two-up (good thing she likes me).

.... guess that mileage contest is a good idea this year.

If you’re thinking of stopping by the Evergreen Air and Space Museum, you best set aside a full day. We got there when they opened and they chased us out at closing time and we were only able to really see and appreciate about 2/3 of what they had to offer.

AMAZING!:thumb:thumb:thumb

:dance:dance:dance
And closer to the venue is the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum in Hood River, Or., on the Columbia River. All display items are runners!

I’m thinking it’s a tad early for that information to the membership.
April revelation in the ON and by other communications as I remember.
Hey, you may consider calling the vendor you have in mind and asking, as an idea.

And your 1000 closest friends could camp in your backyard :rofl:beer:lol:lol
I could probably get a handful of tents in the yard and if folks were amenable, you could easily get another dozen folks on the covered porch. Plenty of bike parking out front, too. We're in the city of Santa Rosa, up in a tree filled, larger lot area that feels more like central Massachusetts than California, so it's shaded and quiet. The medium ambitious could walk to their choice of places to have a BEvERage. It's less than a mile down the hill to the Flamingo Resort.

Just planned out our trip to Redmond. It'll be 40 days and just under 8,000 miles and all of it two-up (good thing she likes me).

.... guess that mileage contest is a good idea this year.

You've got that right... at least about the Mileage Survey. I've just completed my work for entry.
And you wouldn't be the first rider to take their pillion to the Portland airport... after a Redmond Rally!
Sometimes enough is enough after a big ride and the rally.

Volunteer spots are now available for your choosing at the rally, and you can sign up for the on-site... Brewfest.

We're getting close... actually just about two months out!

I ride out from Cincinnati May 30th, for a similar journey of about 7,500 miles over 35-38 days.

...see you there or on the road.

Back