• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2024 National Rally: REDMOND Oregon

It's a stupendous location and I'm stoked to head back. It'll be an epic ride from here and I expect the first stoplight I'll encounter will be in Fort Bragg then probably not another until i get to Eureka. From there, probably not until I get up to Medford, OR unless I stop in Grant's Pass or Ashland.

Butler Maps, folks. It'll really point you in the right direction up there in OR.

And, of course, if anyone is heading south, hit me up for ride ideas.

This time you and Nye wont be parked at the entry, yelling at all the standing GS riders coming in, will you? ;)

Rally virgin question

A couple friends and I are driving from Ontario to Redmond. None of us have been to a national rally so we are the "rally virgins". I haven't been able to find any sort of schedule or itinerary?

Do those exist and where? We have already booked accommodations so that is taken care of

Thanks in advance

A couple friends and I are driving from Ontario to Redmond. None of us have been to a national rally so we are the "rally virgins". I haven't been able to find any sort of schedule or itinerary?

Do those exist and where? We have already booked accommodations so that is taken care of

Thanks in advance

I think we will have to get significantly closer to the rally date to have an accurate schedule announcement.

OM

The rally "starts" Thursday morning, June 13, 2024. But some folks will arrive as early as Monday, June 10, to get things set up. Numerous volunteers are needed by Wednesday so a Wednesday arrival is OK if you are willing to help out getting it going on Wednesday. Vendor displays will be open both inside and outside on Thursday. The 100 or more seminars will start on Thursday.

Detailed schedules will start to emerge in May.

Thanks in advance

So, philipyates12345, What’s Up With Dat?

It’s my problem with your reference to “driving” vs RIDING! I mean, Come On, Guys!!! :brow
This will be a Tremendous Opportunity to Go for a Long Ride... Which Ontario R U referencing?

Canada, California, Ohio, Wisconsin, or Oregon? U don’t need to form a carpool for Pete’s sake. :banghead

A National Rally is The Best Excuse to Ride your M/C {particularly a BMW}!

As the Marketing slogan used to say: “Der Weg ist das Ziel.”
Sorta like, It’s the journey, not the destination! :brad

There’s Still Much Time to get your Ducks All In-Line!

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

As the Marketing slogan used to say: “Der Weg ist das Ziel.”

My weg will be my R80G/SPD+ in the back of my Transit van.

It’ll take me a week to get there because I’ll stop at places along the way that are known for good riding.

Having slammed it across the country more times than I can count (let alone, even remember), it no longer holds any excitement for me.

Also, to the poster’s question, we have a Rally FAQ that has a lot of generic info that applies to every rally. Maybe we should make a page that helps n00bs understand the basics?

My weg will be my R80G/SPD+ in the back of my Transit van.

It’ll take me a week to get there because I’ll stop at places along the way that are known for good riding.

Having slammed it across the country more times than I can count (let alone, even remember), it no longer holds any excitement for me.

Also, to the poster’s question, we have a Rally FAQ that has a lot of generic info that applies to every rally. Maybe we should make a page that helps n00bs understand the basics?

Might trailer a couple of the old bikes up there. Or might just pile on the GS and ride. Not sure yet, but I should probably figure that out...

Might trailer a couple of the old bikes up there. Or might just pile on the GS and ride. Not sure yet, but I should probably figure that out...

If you ride the GS, check out this route from Crater Lake. Diamond Peak Wilderness, the Aufderheide Scenic Byway *and* Mckenzie Pass. (All do-able with Tina on the back)

Bring along a sammich. :nod

<iframe src="https://ridewithgps.com/embeds?type=route&id=43730903&sampleGraph=true" style="width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 1000px; border: none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Thanks, Ian. She's kinda done riding, so we'd probably take the Audi and tow a couple bikes.

Thanks, arthritis, for taking the best pillion of all time, and a damn fine rider in her own right, off of bikes.

Toronto to Rally and three weeks more

It's a stupendous location and I'm stoked to head back. It'll be an epic ride from here and I expect the first stoplight I'll encounter will be in Fort Bragg then probably not another until i get to Eureka. From there, probably not until I get up to Medford, OR unless I stop in Grant's Pass or Ashland.

Butler Maps, folks. It'll really point you in the right direction up there in OR.

And, of course, if anyone is heading south, hit me up for ride ideas.

I taking off on a four week tour where I would like to be in Nashville in three weeks. Plan "A" is to Toronto- Redmond- continue to coast- south to San Diego and start riding east. My first trip to the west coast and longest motorcycle trip to date.

You were mentioning ride tips for heading south? One concern is what temps I will hit in early July in Texas etc.

Thanks
Philip

I taking off on a four week tour where I would like to be in Nashville in three weeks. Plan "A" is to Toronto- Redmond- continue to coast- south to San Diego and start riding east. My first trip to the west coast and longest motorcycle trip to date.

You were mentioning ride tips for heading south? One concern is what temps I will hit in early July in Texas etc.

Thanks
Philip

HA! Texas in July will be in a word HOT !! They have had 2 years of VERY hot summers.

I taking off on a four week tour where I would like to be in Nashville in three weeks. Plan "A" is to Toronto- Redmond- continue to coast- south to San Diego and start riding east.
Philip

There's nice riding east of San Deigo but staying near the coast in the LA area will not be fun.
You could head east before LA and ride through northern New Mexico and NW Arkansas on the way to Nashville.
That would avoid southern Arizona and south Texas.

We had comfortable temps at the National Rally in Fredericksburg Texas the last week of June but July might be pushing your luck.

There's nice riding east of San Deigo but staying near the coast in the LA area will not be fun.
You could head east before LA and ride through northern New Mexico and NW Arkansas on the way to Nashville.
That would avoid southern Arizona and south Texas.

We had comfortable temps at the National Rally in Fredericksburg Texas the last week of June but July might be pushing your luck.

I'd suggest that when you get to the LA basin turn east and get over to Banning and up to elevation on Mt. San Jacinto. Palms to Pines Scenic Highway is an absolutely amazing road. Ramona is a tremendous base of ops if you want to post up and ride the region. Eastern San Diego County is stunningly good riding.

From there, I'd head a bit north and east to Vegas, then across and into Colorado. From CO, exit out toward Pueblo, then down to the Ozarks. Cross over into TN at Memphis or into KY a bit north and you'll get back under the tree canopy where it's cooler or at least feels that way.

Decent riding in SD County and over there on the south side of the Coachella Valley, then decent riding in Colorado (maybe take a loop up from Durango to Leadville and over to DEN, then south), then decent riding in the Ozarks in Arkansas and then you're into Tennessee or Kentucky.

I hope that's helpful.

We usually have to cross Nevada if we're going anywhere, so we like to head out right before dawn and try to get a solid 6 or 8 hours in before the heat really starts going at 3 or 4pm. We like to use Hotels.com the night before to find hotels or use Hotel Tonight, a helpful app for your phone. With that, you can get rolling early and if you get delayed by heat, you can find a place to hide for a few hours, then finish it off in the evening, knowing you have a place to roost that night.

Camping, if you enjoy it, can be either miserable or transcendent in the desert, depending on the weather. If you do camp in the desert, you need to always do two things. Keep your tent zipped up and keep your boots in the tent. At night, you might be the warmest thing around, so snakes and cold blooded critters might see you as a nice spot for a nap. Scorpions like to climb into things like boots, so don't leave them outside your tent at night.

Those are lessons I learned in Boy Scouts camping in San Diego 50 years ago that are still relevant. Also, if you're camping up north, do not slack on bear safety. No food in the tent, not even toothpaste. They can figure out a lanyard with a bag of food, so use the bear boxes that should be in most of the campgrounds you encounter. Locking things in your saddlebags is no match for a 4" long set of bear claws.

Have a great ride and again, like I suggest to everyone, you really should have a copy of the Butler Maps for the states you're visiting. It'll point you to great roads and ensure you get maximum thrills and riding experiences along the way.

HA! Texas in July will be in a word HOT !! They have had 2 years of VERY hot summers.

I listened to my Austin based workmates complain pretty hard about the heat this year and last. I've got family in S. Texas and they're finally emerging from their "winter", where it's just too hot to go outside and ride.

At Eureka: Samoa Cookhouse

Thanks
Philip

The best place to eat in northern CA. Closed May 2023 for renovations. Check https://www.samoacookhouse.net. for status. Breakfast there and you won’t be hungry until sunset. Historical. Scenic. On a spit of land just off Eureka shore.

The best place to eat in northern CA. Closed May 2023 for renovations. Check https://www.samoacookhouse.net. for status. Breakfast there and you won’t be hungry until sunset. Historical. Scenic. On a spit of land just off Eureka shore.

Always a good time.

If you're in Eureka, CA, the restaurant next door to the Best Western, right as you come onto the main drag, is the best breakfast in town, IMHO. It's where all the locals eat.

As a NorCal resident, I'm not sure Samoa Cookhouse is the "best" breakfast here, but it's definitely one you won't forget. The location is beautiful and if you're like to stay nearby, Humboldt Bay Social Club has decent lodgings in a very, very scenic location. https://www.humboldtbaysocialclub.com

Of course, if you're gonna head down to Ferndale and take the left onto CA 36, you're gonna want a decent breakfast on board. It's gonna be a while before you're back to civilization. :D

Redmond Nat'l

Count me in for Redmond! :)

Circumstances prevented me from attending Redmond the last time the National was held there. I do not wish to miss this one.

Hi Paul:

Long time no talk! I've looked for you at the last several Nat'ls but haven't seen you. I do hope we get the opportunity to connect in Redmond. Glad to see you're still riding!

Scott Roe

snow2022Trip.jpg

Scotty, I really missed attending the National Rallies so I am very much looking forward to next year’s and the ride. It will be good to see you again!

Paul

Back