• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 GSA accessary socket question

My OEM under seat outlet runs my heated vest just fine, while the dash mounted outlet is charging my cellphone and iPad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On what year and model motorcycle, and is the underseat outlet OEM or modified? And is it really "under" the seat, or on the side below the seat?

Since very few people are able to use this outlet now, I'm surprised BMW doesn't save a few bucks and stop installing it.
On pre canbus bikes the outlet was really handy, not so much now.

As for the OP, I would simply disconnect the existing wires and run a fused 12v circuit directly to the battery.

I didn't bother with that on this bike since BMW moved the outlet to the right side of the bike.
I didn't think I would like having to lay the heated gear cord across my lap.
All the heated vests and jackets we have owned the power cord was on the left side of the garment.

On what year and model motorcycle, and is the underseat outlet OEM or modified? And is it really "under" the seat, or on the side below the seat?

Sorry.

2017 R1200GS

Factory option outlet, installed by the dealer. Comes with a template to drill the hole in the black plastic below the seat (not underneath) on the left hand side. Pretty sure it actually just piggy backs the dash socket as far as wiring.

Sorry.

2017 R1200GS

Factory option outlet, installed by the dealer. Comes with a template to drill the hole in the black plastic below the seat (not underneath) on the left hand side. Pretty sure it actually just piggy backs the dash socket as far as wiring.

I'd take a peek and see if it is an OEM style outlet added by the dealer. Hopefully the dealer did a direct connect to the battery with a fused lead.
OM

It’s the BMW “accessory” socket. I purchased it myself specifically to use with my heated vest.

My local BMW shop installed it exactly as the mothership prescribes, piggy back with the other outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That socket is new for 2021. When they replaced the one up top with USB ports, they needed somewhere to plug in their fancy computerized charger, so they moved it down to near the seat. It will also work with the BMW heated vest since it only draws a max of 5 amps.

Back