• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 GSA accessary socket question

Lumi

Crippler
When I picked up my 2021 GSA I asked about the accessary plug below the seat on the left side. The salesman thought it might not be rated to power an electric jacket liner like my Aerostitch. My Stitch liner is at least 10 years old so I don't remember what it draws. Page 229 in the owners
manual says the rating of all onboard sockets together is max. 5A which wouldn't seem to be enough for a heated vest/jacket.
This socket also shuts off 15 minutes after ignition is switched off so it can't be used for a battery tender.

What can this socket be used for?
Seems like about all you can do with it is charge the passengers cell phone.

Not ranting, just wondering, seems kinda silly if it can't power some heated gear.
Maybe that protects canbus.
I suppose I could wire a lead directly to the battery for heated gear and a battery tender.

I can't imagine you can't plug heated clothing into it! I need to figure out why the one on my 1100S isn't working.

"I suppose I could wire a lead directly to the battery for heated gear and a battery tender."

Or replace the OEM socket with a Powerlet socket wired directly to the battery.

Simple replacement that can be "undone" at any time.

When I picked up my 2021 GSA I asked about the accessary plug below the seat on the left side. The salesman thought it might not be rated to power an electric jacket liner like my Aerostitch. My Stitch liner is at least 10 years old so I don't remember what it draws. Page 229 in the owners
manual says the rating of all onboard sockets together is max. 5A which wouldn't seem to be enough for a heated vest/jacket.
This socket also shuts off 15 minutes after ignition is switched off so it can't be used for a battery tender.

What can this socket be used for?
Seems like about all you can do with it is charge the passengers cell phone.

Not ranting, just wondering, seems kinda silly if it can't power some heated gear.
Maybe that protects canbus.
I suppose I could wire a lead directly to the battery for heated gear and a battery tender.

The OEM socket won’t support heated gear nor most battery maintainers. The solution is in the last line of your post.

Best,
DeVern

I can't imagine you can't plug heated clothing into it! I need to figure out why the one on my 1100S isn't working.

The newer bikes with Canbus have a 5 amp limit and will not handle most heated jackets. It might handle a vest or gloves.
On your R1100S I would check the fuse for the outlet.
At least one time I blew the fuse on one of our older bikes.

That really surprises me. why would BMW put such a low rating on that socket?

Trying to outguess the designer of BMW motorcycle electrical circuits is a fools errand. I prefer to think that these things are designed by the 1st year intern while everybody else is at Oktoberfest. That is the only explanation I have found to sound plausible.

As for the OP, I would simply disconnect the existing wires and run a fused 12v circuit directly to the battery. Or run either an SAE two-pole, or a Gerbing style coaxial connector to the battery. Which depends on whether you wish to use the DIN, SAE, or coaxial connector with your devices. I happen to have all 3 on my G310 and on my K75.

Are you sure that socket is OEM? When I purchased my new 2015GSA, the dealer had already installed a Powerlet socket in the left side plastic panel; it was directly wired to the battery. I think this is something "extra" this dealer adds to every new GS.

Are you sure that socket is OEM? When I purchased my new 2015GSA, the dealer had already installed a Powerlet socket in the left side plastic panel; it was directly wired to the battery. I think this is something "extra" this dealer adds to every new GS.

Pretty sure it's stock. Of note, the RT received a 10A rated socket, the rest R1200/1250 received a 5A socket. It's even in the manuals if you look at the online versions.

Pretty sure it's stock. Of note, the RT received a 10A rated socket, the rest R1200/1250 received a 5A socket. It's even in the manuals if you look at the online versions.

Learn something new every day. I didn't realize the RT had a higher rated outlet.
Wonder if this is also true for the K1600GTL?

Interesting the model with the best wind protection can handle a heated jacket.
You would think the R1200R/R1250R owner would get that luxury.

I have a OEM BMW Battery Charger and use it on my 2018 R1200RT. I plug in directly into the onboard power port to maintain the battery. However, the charger and bike need to "talk to each other" to make sure the bike knows the charger is connected.

Here's the 3-step procedure.

1. Turn the ignition of the motorcycle to "ON." (Do not start)
2. Connect the battery charger to the "On Board Socket" first, then connect the charger to the 110 volt outlet.
3. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position.

See also attached for additional information

View attachment Can Bus Battery Charger.pdf

I have a OEM BMW Battery Charger and use it on my 2018 R1200RT. I plug in directly into the onboard power port to maintain the battery. However, the charger and bike need to "talk to each other" to make sure the bike knows the charger is connected.

Here's the 3-step procedure.

1. Turn the ignition of the motorcycle to "ON." (Do not start)
2. Connect the battery charger to the "On Board Socket" first, then connect the charger to the 110 volt outlet.
3. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position.

See also attached for additional information

View attachment 82811

Mine is wired directly to the battery. Here is the procedure:

1. Plug the charger in to the bike and the wall outlet. Sequence doesn't matter.

Mine is wired directly to the battery. Here is the procedure:

1. Plug the charger in to the bike and the wall outlet. Sequence doesn't matter.

And if there’s a temporary power outage, yours will start charging/maintaining again when the power is restored. That’s why one family member who spends 11/12ths of the year overseas has his battery maintainer connected to a plug that’s hardwired direct to battery...

A better question than why BMW put such low limits on the power receptacles is...why didn’t they just wire them direct in the first place? My guess is that they have way more digital EEs than analog EEs.

Best,
DeVern

On an international forum, the answer was that it is a protected, ignition-activated, and timed-shut-off port for charging small electronics (phones, headsets, etc.) that are not designed to draw heavy current. Since RT's often are ridden 2-up for long periods, the 10A allowance was for two sets of devices to be charged...

I know lots of R owners in AUS leave it wired, but pop it under the seat, and place an alternate plug in it's hole in the plastic that's wired direct.

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied.

It's crazy that the plug isn't rated for a heated vest or jacket and maybe not even
a tire inflator.

I guess I'll have to hardwire a plug to the battery, I'm sure I have a couple spares in the garage.

On an international forum, the answer was that it is a protected, ignition-activated, and timed-shut-off port for charging small electronics (phones, headsets, etc.) that are not designed to draw heavy current. Since RT's often are ridden 2-up for long periods, the 10A allowance was for two sets of devices to be charged...

Of course. Nobody needs heated gear. Nobody ever needs to pump up a repaired tire. Not so long as they have their recently charged electronic device, BMW roadside assistance card, a good line of credit, and a good hotel directory. Thus thinketh the folks at BMW AG I guess.

For your consideration-

I find these global limitations as a way manufacturers limit problems that could possibly come back to haunt them.
The wiring is very small gauge and which satisfies the current loads of each particular circuit. Regulating the (small) amperage load protects the bikes wiring.
If one circuit was 3A, another 5A, and another 10A, there is a good chance that through either forgetfulness or ignorance, an owner will treat all the accessory outlets the same.
It’s much easier for the manufacturers to leave it all at 5A and let the owner “modify” the bike to pull more amps as needed.
IMO...still...is that all high draw accessories be connected to the battery including- battery maintainers, heated gear and tire pumps.

OM

My OEM under seat outlet runs my heated vest just fine, while the dash mounted outlet is charging my cellphone and iPad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to all who replied.

It's crazy that the plug isn't rated for a heated vest or jacket and maybe not even
a tire inflator.

I guess I'll have to hardwire a plug to the battery, I'm sure I have a couple spares in the garage.

Use one heavy enough for heated gear.
The wires on a pigtail that comes with a battery charger is a little on the small size.

Back