• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 R1250R battery charger question

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
Hello experts. I have an interesting charging issue with my R1250R. I needed to lend my enclosed M/C trailer to help someone move. I also use the trailer to store a couple bikes including my R1250R. The other bike is my wife's R Nine T /5. I had both bikes connected to a two-bike Battery Tender. The R Nine T /5 uses a SAE connector attached to the battery and my R1250 has a "BMW plug" under the seat near the battery. The Battery Tender was showing a blinking orange light for my bike's charging connection and my wife's was Green. Her bike started and mine didn't. It has been about 1.5 months since the bikes were ridden and parked in the trailer. My R1250R came on (TFT illuminated) but would not turn over and a message said to turn off unnecessary "consumers."

I parked the bike in the drive and went to help with the move. When I returned I plugged in the battery tender again and connected the bike using the accessory plug again. Same blinking orange light. Then I turned the bike on again (TFT illuminated) and then off. Now the Battery Tender is no longer blinking. After a couple hours I checked and it is again blinking - and I assume not charging.

I am trying to puzzle out what has happened. I am guessing the accessory plug is controlled by the CAN and "disconnects when the bike is off.
I also assume this means I need to connect an SAE cable directly to the battery to use the charger when the bike is powered off.

Is this correct?

To keep confusion to a minimum, I find a direct connection to the battery is best.
OM

Hello experts. I have an interesting charging issue with my R1250R. I needed to lend my enclosed M/C trailer to help someone move. I also use the trailer to store a couple bikes including my R1250R. The other bike is my wife's R Nine T /5. I had both bikes connected to a two-bike Battery Tender. The R Nine T /5 uses a SAE connector attached to the battery and my R1250 has a "BMW plug" under the seat near the battery. The Battery Tender was showing a blinking orange light for my bike's charging connection and my wife's was Green. Her bike started and mine didn't. It has been about 1.5 months since the bikes were ridden and parked in the trailer. My R1250R came on (TFT illuminated) but would not turn over and a message said to turn off unnecessary "consumers."

I parked the bike in the drive and went to help with the move. When I returned I plugged in the battery tender again and connected the bike using the accessory plug again. Same blinking orange light. Then I turned the bike on again (TFT illuminated) and then off. Now the Battery Tender is no longer blinking. After a couple hours I checked and it is again blinking - and I assume not charging.

I am trying to puzzle out what has happened. I am guessing the accessory plug is controlled by the CAN and "disconnects when the bike is off.
I also assume this means I need to connect an SAE cable directly to the battery to use the charger when the bike is powered off.

Is this correct?

Yes, you are correct. The bike's system is shutting off that socket. That provides a few choices.

1. Rewire that socket directly to the battery using a fused connection.
2. Install an additional socket wired, fused, directly to the battery.
3. Add a pigtail wired directly to the battery using either a two-pole plug or a coaxial plug - your choice.

Given the DIN style plug I think is on your charger option 2 might be the most attractive.

Yes, you are correct. The bike's system is shutting off that socket. That provides a few choices.

1. Rewire that socket directly to the battery using a fused connection.
2. Install an additional socket wired, fused, directly to the battery.
3. Add a pigtail wired directly to the battery using either a two-pole plug or a coaxial plug - your choice.

Given the DIN style plug I think is on your charger option 2 might be the most attractive.

Thanks Paul. I'll look at adding another socket in time, but I also have plenty of the various cable connectors from having purchased several Battery Tenders. I'll look in the workshop tomorrow when the temprature is above 40 degrees and install one of the SAE connectors directly to the battery.

Thanks Paul. I'll look at adding another socket in time, but I also have plenty of the various cable connectors from having purchased several Battery Tenders. I'll look in the workshop tomorrow when the temprature is above 40 degrees and install one of the SAE connectors directly to the battery.

I like using the heavier gauge battery pigtail that comes with heated gear.
If you have or plan to buy heated gear I would use the heavier pigtail.

Back