• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 National Rally

I have been on this fairgrounds for a Fair and wans't thinking about a rally, but I think it is a really good rally site. Lots of shade and good camping! I do need to confess that our daughter lives 12 miles away so for the first time since 1984 we just might not be camping.

I'm with you on that requirement of a good pizza while out Rally Riding! There's a national joint called Pizza Hut that's on top of their game.
(when well managed... same as all places)

Really... this is not a "poke the bear" statement. I'm not into "fu-fu" type pies (or toppings) so much; and I've been taken to or tracked down joints that come recommended... then disappointed.

Your results and Iowa may vary ... And cold beer erases a poor pizza.

Wishing all a Happy New Year and pleasant pizza experience!

"travel'n" john

Old?

Funny. I never see that.

I see lots of young sMiles everywhere.

Some in rather old bodies, but the spirit shines through.

Voni
still sMiling

Jimmy Buffett has an answer to everything. "I'm growing older, just not up."

Rally Chair's in DesMoines?

Who is/are the Rally Chair/Chair's in Des Moines this year? I guess I can safely say that as it's actually 2018.

Just curious as I sit here inside because right now it's -4 degree's here. Come on Spring.

Happy New Year to All,
P

Who is/are the Rally Chair/Chair's in Des Moines this year? I guess I can safely say that as it's actually 2018.

Just curious as I sit here inside because right now it's -4 degree's here. Come on Spring.

Happy New Year to All,
P

Page 87 of the January ON has a article on the Chairs.
Rally Chair is Brian Hinton
Co Chairs are Lee Harrelson and Deb Gasque.

Thank you Lee.......

Guess I should of known that. On a little Winter time off and haven't seen any mail in a week. I'm sure it will be there on my return.

Thanks Again,
P

Rally plans are moving along smoothly. Des Moines and Iowa in general gets a bad wrap from some motorcycle enthusiasts, "nothing but long straight roads" is just not true! Des Moines is a really progressive city with a vibrant downtown area full of great restaurants, art, coffee shops and night life. The largest farmer's market in the world and just outside of town opens up into beautiful rolling farm country in every direction. The local riding community is very excited to show MOA members their favorite rides thru the State. The rally chair is working on some great vendors, food, seminars and entertainment.

The Iowa State Fairgrounds are the largest we have ever had, plenty of shaded areas for camping in the grass, more full hook up RV spaces than we can ever use, permanent shower facilities. A huge new air conditioned building that will hold ALL indoor vendors and most seminars in ONE cool building. All outside vendors gathered just outside the building.
Even an on site movie theater!
The average July temperatures are lows in the 70s and highs in the mid 80s. We should have one of the best opportunities to gather in a beautiful part of the country and enjoy all things rally!
Make your plans now to attend and I will see you there!

It really doesn’t matter to us where they hold the National rally.
We still go to volunteer, see old friends, and meet new ones.
Enjoy the seminars and vendors and spend too much money,
I have been to 37 national rallies (only missing 1 in that string) and my wife to 18 consecutive.
For us the National rally site is a stop along the way on a trip.
Last year Salt Lake was on our way to Alaska.
This year Des Moines is on you way to Labrador.
I am sure someone out there will find fault with the site.
I for one would not want the task of putting on an event like a national.
Just remember if there is something you don’t like, just jump in there
and volunteer to see if you can make it better.
Oh yes thanks to all the volunteers who make it happen.
Wayne Garrison

Cast from the second promo video

Minus the Fashonista, I think the group I’m with here in Stockton, AL last Saturday, is the cast of the second video: Brian, Shannon, Jon and Mishka; with myself and Jeff Hanshew, also an Instructor Pilot at Fort Rucker. Unless something changes they all plan on attending the Iowa rally. We have very good looking, talented, and incredibly smart people here in Alabama.

7E1AB241-4918-4A7F-802D-5B4AE6DE33F0.jpg

Ian, what you say is true... I agree with you, it’s absolutely important that the unwashed masses of BMW riders that don’t know about the MOA need to get the message somehow.

Of course, if all 30,000 members showed up at the rally, (what we are promoting on this thread) I think we would have a good problem... a hot mess if you will.

Everyone is all bundled up for a cold Winter's day..... must have been below 40. :wave

Temps were in the low 30’s when we launched, got up in the high 40’s on the way back. A nip or two, yes. We were using heated gear, of course that helps.

You were using heated gear? I found the heated grips/heated seat/good gloves/long johns/leather jacket/3 layers of shirts to be adequate!

Lucky you're not up here right now. We've just gone above freezing from well below so that we could have heavy rain, followed by pending dropping temperatures to give us freezing rain, then snow and a forecast 43-F swing in temperature (before wind-chill calcs) within the next 24-36 hour period.

Looking forward to Des Moines. SLC was very nice, but the more temperate heat will be welcome.

PS - We've been using heated gear up here since the beginning of October. Had heavy frost on the RT's seat doing a Cabot Trail ride the end of September.

Of course, if all 30,000 members showed up at the rally, (what we are promoting on this thread) I think we would have a good problem... a hot mess if you will.

The grounds are large enough to handle 30,000 members :)
Attendance each day at the fair was around 100,000.

Back