• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 RT jumps out of neutral

skydog

I just bought a 14 RT, and am new to the bike I was sitting on the bike in Neutral with kickstand down and lightly brushed the shift lever and it jumped into gear, luckily I was able to keep the bike up and a few days ago it did something similar does the 14`s have a hair trigger shifter or do I have another problem I`d appreciate any feedback !

2014 rt jumps out of neutral.

I just bought a 14 RT, and am new to the bike I was sitting on the bike in Neutral with kickstand down and lightly brushed the shift lever and it jumped into gear, luckily I was able to keep the bike up and a few days ago it did something similar does the 14`s have a hair trigger shifter or do I have another problem I`d appreciate any feedback !

Congrats on the new bike:clap. I have a 14 also that i bought in 2015. At 25000 miles i have not had any trouble with a touchy shifter other than getting used to the speed auto shift function. If you do not fully shift while moving with the auto shift, the bike can jump while moving.

I would check all fittings on your foot shifter to see that they are properly lubed, adjusted and free. Mainly the two ball joints can in wet weather can get dirty. If you have the auto shift make sure it is properly attached and in good order. I have not heard of any pop out of neutral problems, that does not mean they are not out there but probably rare.

How many miles on your bike? has it been in wet weather a lot?

Gary

The short answer is: yes, the quick shifter equipped bikes don't need to have the clutch lever pulled to "fall into gear" if the shifter is activated, as you have found out.

This is normal, and you need to take care and perhaps change your habits to not cause an accident.
1) The shifter itself can be repositioned to fit your foot and boot size. Do that, to make sure they fit well and don't "lightly brush" each other while trying to get your boot into position for a gear change or gear engagement as it were.
2) Keep your foot (toe) away from the shifter unless you intend to engage a gear. Don't play around with the shifter thinking there is some inherent slack or that you will hear or feel a grinding instead as it nears engagement,... you won't.
3) Cover the clutch lever anytime your foot is near/on the shifter. That way, it you accidently press the shifter it will jolt into gear, but not launch the bike from under you, and finally,
4) Cover the front and/or rear brakes to prevent the same when stopped. Both levers require minimal effort to squeeze them and keep them activated and keep you safe.

Congratulations on finding neutral. ;) Always the hardest part for my big feet.

Cap

I was sitting on the bike in Neutral with kickstand down and lightly brushed the shift lever and it jumped into gear

Hello skydog - I read your narrative and it occurs to me that if your side stand was down and you hit the shift lever with the engine running, the engine would have immediately died. That's what my 2015 RT does. Perhaps the problem is the cutout switch on the side stand?

The short answer is: yes, the quick shifter equipped bikes don't need to have the clutch lever pulled to "fall into gear" if the shifter is activated, as you have found out.

This is normal, and you need to take care and perhaps change your habits to not cause an accident.
1) The shifter itself can be repositioned to fit your foot and boot size. Do that, to make sure they fit well and don't "lightly brush" each other while trying to get your boot into position for a gear change or gear engagement as it were.
2) Keep your foot (toe) away from the shifter unless you intend to engage a gear. Don't play around with the shifter thinking there is some inherent slack or that you will hear or feel a grinding instead as it nears engagement,... you won't.
3) Cover the clutch lever anytime your foot is near/on the shifter. That way, it you accidently press the shifter it will jolt into gear, but not launch the bike from under you, and finally,
4) Cover the front and/or rear brakes to prevent the same when stopped. Both levers require minimal effort to squeeze them and keep them activated and keep you safe.

I often wonder whether these types of "advancements" really are??

Back