• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 RT intermittently gets check engine icon and goes into limp mode HELP

When the check engine light goes on, the bike goes into limp mode. Two BMW shops have looked into the problem. Nothing specifically has been found. When the second shop worked on it, they thought it was a pinched wire. After 1400 miles the problem occurred again. Sometime turning it off and restarting, it runs normal for a while. I have noticed it seems to happen more often when slowing down. It does have 188,000 miles, but my previous 2005 RT had 240,000 miles and was running very good when I sold it. It is still running. Otherwise the 2014 bike runs very good and pulls strong with no problems. I am not ready to give up on this bike, so please help to get this solved.
Thanks, Ron 24755

I usually ask about the age/condition of the battery first. The battery can cause a lot of strange occurrences.
OM

I hope this is something relatively simple as previously mentioned like an old battery. But, I would recommend scanning the computer for fault codes when the bike’s acting up. Search up GS-911 and/or Motoscan on this site for more information, if need be. Modern vehicles have many sensors and it only takes one acting up for the engine to not run properly. And, intermittent problems are the worst, IMO, to track down, very frustrating, and can be very expensive when you’re paying someone to fix it.

On a side note (but relevant), I had a VW Passat that every once in a while would blow hot air instead of cold air conditioned air. However, 98% of the time if I turned off the car and turned it back on, it would work. Of course, everything worked fine when I brought the car in for repairs and there were no fault codes. Finally, made arrangements to be able to call my shop next time it happened and a mechanic brought out a code reader to get the code fault with the car running. It turned out to be temperature sensor that was not working 100%.

So, there could be a sensor on the bike that is only sort of working, and getting the fault code would narrow down the search.

Have you checked for locked in codes obn your gs 911? I had a similar problem with my cam sensor which had to be replaced. the cam reluctor was also out of adjustment

Back