• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 - 2015 RT Navigator V Bluetooth Interface Communication Syst control integration

Raketa60

I'm thinking about upgrading from my '09 RT (which I love) to a loaded (which is pretty much how they come) '14 or '15 RT. I find one of the most unclear and confusing aspects to me is how all the BT / GPS / communication system control interface work together. I've gotten three slightly different stories from three different dealers about compatibility and I've found nothing on the Forums on this subject. Here's the background. I presently have a Cardo Scala Rider 2 which I've had for five years and has worked trouble free. I pair easily with my wife's headset, my riding buddies with Scala's, my TomTom GPS and my iPhone 5s. If I upgrade the bike, I'd plan to upgrade to the BMW Navigator V (made by Garmin) as it is designed to fit seamlessly into the fairing.
Questions: Since the Navigator V is the 'heart' of the communication system, will my Scala headset connect via BT and work for directions? How about the radio? Telephone? Would I still be able to communicate with other riding buddies that have Scala headsets? What about the BT Interface Control and the affect on the functionality of that?? OR.... will I be forced to buy the $456 BMW CS to make use of the Nav V and all its functionality??? Is the BMW CS just for communicating with the bike's GPS? Or can it pair with the Scala headsets for riding buddy communication?
Should I buy the Navigator V or go with aftermarket (even though may not fit in fairing)?
Any experiences or ideas you can share??? Any feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
I use mine with my Sena. Basically the bike radio and GPS via the bike BT connect to my Sena. My phone connects to the GPS for weather, traffic and calls including contact info The gps routes the phone to my Sena. Works flawlessly. You can connect two headsets to the bike BT.

The bike BT controls priority and will mute music automatically for gps directions, weather alerts or phone calls and will automatically resume music after a call, GPS direction or alert are finished.

Just a side note..Garmin has a great app called smart link that allows your phone to pick up traffic and weather alerts and share it via BT to the GPS. It's seamless and allows you to route around weather or traffic all working via BT between phone and GPS.

The volume is controlled by the Sena not the wonderwheel.

Buddy to buddy music sharing and intercom are controlled by the Sena as normal and work as normal.

It was a little fiddly to get the unitial pairing done right at first but I had it done before i left the dealers parking lot.

All works flawlessly, turn the bike on, turn the Sena on and everything pairs up with music and or GPS sound before I'm out of the garage . No need to buy the bmw headset, all tat gives you is volume via the Wonder wheel.

Trust me you want the Nav V made to fit the bike. The integration to the bike, wheel and speakers is so worth it IMHO.

BT connects to the bike

...not to the Garmin or TomTom or phone. If you can get the Scala to pair to the bike, you should be set. I had an SRC (Schuberth BT) and switched to a Sena 20S but that was more because of battery life than anything else. YMMV

... I've gotten three different stories from three different dealers about compatibility...

The dealer that wants your sale will pair the showroom model to your headset and demonstrate the wonderfulness of their product.

Back