• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 r1200gs mpg

sbaxter

I just recently bought a used 2013 R1200GS. It has 39100 miles on it and have only been riding in town conditions. I have replaced air filter, engine oil and rear drive oil. My question is I am getting about 32 mpg and was expecting more in the 40 mpg range. Just curious if this is normal or is there something I can do to improve it. Thanks!

That is atypical mpg for sure. Does it have Mode Pro? If so, are you in Road mode or Dynamic or Enduro? Set to Road if it isn’t already. And are you using computer mileage or actually calculating?

just traded my 2013 R1200 GS, I would average a little over 50 mpg riding backroads at a leisurely pace, I would use Premium no alcohol fuel as much as possible, check tire pressures I ran BMW recommended pressures, usually ran in road mode. If you want to play with the horses and let em run you will need to feed em.:)

Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the comments, being that it is a used bike I was concerned that possibly there was something wrong with the bike. Sounds like it’s pretty normal.

Perhaps your size 4XL helmet is creating huge amounts of profile and parasitic drag. :nyah.
Welcome to the forum, buddy!
(note to forum members ... sbaxter and I have been great friends for almost 50 years. I don't waste my sarcasm on just anyone)

Some odd years (decades) ago I had an R100, Duc 900SS and Honda Hawk 650. They all got 33 mpg. I suspect it had more to do with my riding style and routes than the bikes.

MY 2012 got 40-44mpg. Only dropped into the high 30's when I pushed the motor to 90mph until I needed to stop for gas again.

Back