• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 RT Tank bag

texasseal01

Bought the BMW tank bag for the 2011RT. Have used it for five years, but the clear map cover started yellowing after 3-4 years. It has yellowed now so that it is almost unusable. Has anyone had this problem. I haven't found a way to replace the clear cover since it is sewn in. The bike has always been kept in the garage and the tank bag is only exposed to sunlight on trips approximately 40,000 miles. Tank bag in excellent shape, but seems a shame to replace it because the map cover yellowed. Like the easy on and off of the bag for fueling and no straps.

You can buy clear vinyl at most fabric outlets. Some shoe repair shops can do the sewing as well. Had mine repaired ,but sold it a few years after the repair so not sure how durable that quality vinyl was.
Very common, my 05RT yellowed quickly sitting outdoors at work.

If it were me, I'd use marine grade vinyl. More designed to be out in the sun.
You could also call Linda here and see if she'd consider doing it:
http://www.customtankbags.com/

Just saw this:
"Replace main zipper OR map pocket in Multivario bags for the R1200 GS or RT $85 "

2011RT tank bag

Thanks for the input. I have taken the bag to two boot and shoe shops neither wanted to attempt the job. One did say the inside grey plastic inner liner would have to be removed first to get to the area and resewing would be difficult due to the plastic mounting base. He suggested making a new map holder and attaching with velcro. I have seen somewhere a tank bag with a removable map case. I will try to find one. Already has velcro at bottom. My wife has a RKA tank bag as old as mine and the heavier plastic is still clear.

Back