• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 RT- Oil Sight Glass Issue

fordtech50

After I changed the oil on my bike- which was way overdue- I can no longer read the oil level on the sight glass. The sight glass interior seems to have a gold color to it now and is no longer clear. It's like the new oil coated the glass and stuck there or something. I don't think it's overfull because I changed it when it was fully hot and let it drain for a long time and added 4 qts. Book says capacity is 1.1 gallons us. You can shake the bike side to side but never see oil moving or sloshing inside the glass.

Has anyone run into this? The sight glass seems to be able to come out easy enough when I change the oil next time and My oil sensor is working as I get the check mark on the screen at idle, but I'd like to know if I'm using any oil and be able to see the level.

What the heck would cause the sight glass to do this just by changing the oil? Is this something common to happen? I feel like draining the oil just to see if the glass becomes clear again.

After I changed the oil on my bike- which was way overdue- I can no longer read the oil level on the sight glass. The sight glass interior seems to have a gold color to it now and is no longer clear. It's like the new oil coated the glass and stuck there or something. I don't think it's overfull because I changed it when it was fully hot and let it drain for a long time and added 4 qts. Book says capacity is 1.1 gallons us. You can shake the bike side to side but never see oil moving or sloshing inside the glass.

Has anyone run into this? The sight glass seems to be able to come out easy enough when I change the oil next time and My oil sensor is working as I get the check mark on the screen at idle, but I'd like to know if I'm using any oil and be able to see the level.

What the heck would cause the sight glass to do this just by changing the oil? Is this something common to happen? I feel like draining the oil just to see if the glass becomes clear again.

betcha you are looking at a full sight glass with fresh oil....tip the bike slightly to the right side (have help just in case) to see if you can see the top of the oil....

wyman

I'm with Wyman, sounds like you're looking at a sight glass full of fresh oil. If you are sure you only put four quarts in it - ride it for a bit to get the new oil nice and hot, and then see how it looks. If you put the oil filter on without prefilling it you may have air in the filter, which would translate to apparent overfill in the crankcase.

Worse case as you suggest, drain the new oil out and then put three fresh quarts in (no point in changing the new filter). Check the level (that should be in the low to mid range of the sight glass), then trickle in that last 1/2 quart to get it where you want. It's cost you a few bucks for fresh oil but you end up with peace of mind.

And this is a stupid question, I know, but you are getting it hot, putting it on the center stand and letting it settle for about five minutes before you check the sight glass, correct? Putting it on the side stand will bring the oil over to the left side of the engine and make the sight glass look overfull.

Another stupid point: that 1.1 gallon spec (4 liters) is for changing oil and filter. If you didn't change the filter then you are adding that four quarts to about a half quart of old volume ...

JayJay

Jayjay, yeah I did change filter but filled it with oil prior to screwing it on. Also, check it after it's good and hot on the centerstand. I changed it after I got back from work so everything should have been open-the cooler thermostat. I even let it drain while I ate dinner. Then added 4 qts plus 3 oz. To make 1.1 gallons.

I just tipped the bike slightly to the right and you can see the oil then moving around so apparently the level is slightly above the top of glass.

Jayjay, yeah I did change filter but filled it with oil prior to screwing it on. Also, check it after it's good and hot on the centerstand. I changed it after I got back from work so everything should have been open-the cooler thermostat. I even let it drain while I ate dinner. Then added 4 qts plus 3 oz. To make 1.1 gallons.

I just tipped the bike slightly to the right and you can see the oil then moving around so apparently the level is slightly above the top of glass.

rest my case....dont over think this foredtech50....good job!!!!

What I meant was - don't read the sight glass unless you are on the centerstand and the oil is good and hot. Reading the sight glass just after filling is not a good way to do it, the sight glass is "calibrated" against a hot engine.

In any event, sounds like you're golden. Ride safe.

JayJay

Yeah, y'all are right. It just seemed weird that the oil didn't seem to move around in the glass. It was also way overdue because the dealer where I bought it used never changed the oil and the low oil level indicator came on during my 175 mile ride back home from Atlanta. Then I had to order some filters from beemer boneyard. It's all good, guess it might be a tad high. Gonna add only the 4 qts next time and see where it comes to. Now I need to change a headlight bulb, had one burn out on my 800 mile round trip last weekend. Might just replace both and then see how long they last.

If you spend anytime on the internet you can find many threads about checking the oil level in the sight glass on R1100 motorcycles. Some of the methods involve dancers in skirts, snakes, goats, and gutteral incantations. Sidestand for 12.2 seconds, then centerstand. Centerstand but wait 17.7 minutes after engine shut off. Check only on numbered days except when there is a full moon, etc.

I have deduced that on our Oilheads the difference between hot oil and cold oil is about 1/4 the diameter of the sight glass. So I fill it to the dot, and when it is hot it is half way up from the dot to the top of the ring. This has worked for our two bikes, but others seem to need the snakes and the goats.

I check mine in the garage before leaving or starting the engine. If there is oil in the window I'm good to go. If not, I added a bit.

The last R1200R is nearing 100,000 miles (about 4,000 with the new owner) following this procedure. Once broken in (about 12,000 miles) I NEVER had to add any oil. The new one is almost there. It used about 750ml in 4,500 miles. It's now at 10,000 miles. I expect by the time serious cold sets in (January usually in NJ) it will have stopped using oil.

My wife refuses to cooperate in the rituals some people believe in - so this seemed simpler. I'm sure Voni's bike with 300,000+ miles behaves much the same way, and I don't want to see Paul in a skirt so that Voni could check the oil level. :dance

Oh Man!

Darn it Paul! I almost had my Wife and some of her good looking girlfriends convinced that a bikini dance was needed once a month to ensure the oil level was correct in each of my oil heads and hex heads.

Seriously: I check the oil in the 04 GSA at every fuel fill up, HP-2 Enduro every other fill up, R 9T every fill up until broken in and when the R 850GS project is done that will get a every other gas fill up oil level check. Before any long trips or if the bike is a little noisy triggers an oil level check too. Unless I see an oil leak or a lot of blue smoke from the muffler I don't worry about the oil level, the GSA blows off a pint between oil changes (3,500 miles dino oil) and the HP-2E only has 6,000 miles and has had 8 oil changes since new.

Oil level check is simple: pretrip I run the bike on a 8 mile trip around my block to get it warmed up, center stand for GSA, padock stand for the HP-2E and a Baxley wheel chock for the R 9T, have a cup of coffee and maybe an egg or two and then go out and take a peek at the site glass. If oil is showing 1/4 up the glass its good any lower I will add a pint of Castrol 20/50 Dino GSA & HP-2E, R 9T will get the factory recommended, dealer supplied oil added if ever needed.

Even more seriously: I had the first "oil check and correct bikini dance" routine scheduled for Saturday morning after the Women finished they're work out at the local gym. My Wife follows the forum.

Back