• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 R1200GSA Fuel cap hinge broken

selyab

I just snapped off my fuel cap for the second time trying to fight with the vapor recovery hose on fuel pump. I even had my gadget the holds the nozzle sleeve back. Checked A&S microfiche $172!!! :banghead Been there before but the pot metal is so weak it took almost no pressure to do this.

Sorry to hear that. I am assuming the cap still locks down ? You searched EBay? Never know.

I have had a few battles with those demon hoses,I was hoping to hear those gizmos worked.

I had a hinge break on my 1150R travelling in the Michigan UP. The latch at the front still hooked but nothing held it at the back. I called Engle Motors in Kansas City. They had one. I used duct tape until I could finish the trip and get to KC to pick up the new cap. Quick swap of lock and good to go.

It's not much cheaper but one of the billet caps will never break. Email Jerry to see if he carries one that fits your GSA.
http://pirateslair.net/billetgascap.htm

capbling5.jpg

It's not much cheaper but one of the billet caps will never break. Email Jerry to see if he carries one that fits your GSA.
http://pirateslair.net/billetgascap.htm

capbling5.jpg

The web page says "These will fit 90% of the BMW's ever made with the 6 bolt pattern including the K1200S, K1200R, K1200R Sport, K1200RS, pre-08 R1200R, R1200GS, R1200RT, and of course, the early and late K1200GT." That looks like a good option. Thanks for posting the link.

I may purchase one of these and, too, appreciate the link.

Fwiw, however, I think the advert copy a bit disingenuous (being kind) as it's been something like three decades that I've owned a car that didn't come from the factory with gas cap locking, usually a locking flap.

And, I agree there's no worry about losing some gas--my more important worry would be having something added to my tank as vandalism. And of course pretty easy vandalism with this solution would be to simply take the cap ... which would be a big problem.

Fact of the matter is, however, it would be fairly easy to carry the removed OE cap in a tankbag and maybe reinstall it in questionable parking areas. This assumes some vandal couldn't be bothered to remove 6 screws ... which is indeed the assumption behind having a lock in the first place.

A bike cover is a pretty good deterrent, too.

But, bottom line is BMW really can't design things invulnerable to hamhandedness. And yes (thinking of another thread) one ought to refuel not still sitting on the bike when one has the OE cap.

Back