• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel Door snapped off '11 R1200GSA

selyab

Went to top off my '11 GSA and while struggling with the complete incompatibility of the fuel door and the evil evaporative emissions sleeve on the gas pump hose, the fuel door snapped in two pieces between the hinge and the "cap". Nice.

Man, sorry to read that.

Have not had to use those pump nozzles much, but it was a bear in CA on my 09GS I recall.

I had the same thing happen refueling my R1150R while on a trip, somewhere in the dread area with bad air quality east of the Mississippi River. The cap would latch at the front and seal with duct tape holding it down at the rear, hinge side. I called Engle Motors in Kansas City to make sure they had a cap in stock, then rode westward for a few days until I got to KC. About 3 minutes in Engles parking lot had the new cap on and off I went for the balance of the trip.

OH NO! The Naughty Monkey!!

Don,

How many times do you think you've had to make that post in your career as a MOD?

The Naughty Monkey strikes again!!

Don,

How many times do you think you've had to make that post in your career as a MOD?

The Naughty Monkey strikes again!!

Probably a few hundred.. :)

It does appear to be catching on though.. sometimes several days go by without me having to make it. If nothing else - I'm persistent.. :bolt

Fueling my '11 RT is by far the most frustrating of any bike I've ever owned. The hinged cap that stands straight up and the red plastic fill tube inside the tank conspire with the gas station's fill nozzle to make this frequent operation a pain. Here in MA, most gas stations have a nozzle equipped with a somewhat flexible, 4" diameter, flat baffle that is supposed to seal and recover vapors. Works on my cars but not on the RT because of the hinged fill cap. The accordion type of nozzle is equally frustrating. And the red plastic tube inside the tank almost ensures a spray of gasoline because, of course, you have pulled the vapor baffle back from the tank. Just a matter of time until the hinged cap gets snapped off or the whole bike goes up in flames.

I have thought of some kind of funnel but normal funnels have too big a wide end, and too short a small end to work. Then I considered making something out of plastic tubing that would fit into the bike's red plastic filler, extend above the filler cap, fit over the gas pump nozzle and be easy to carry. Cheap and easy made out of PVC plumbing pipe. But I don't think PVC would be gasoline resistant. Maybe PEX (crosslinked polyethylene) now being used in plumbing?

I'm going to try soaking a piece of PVC in gasoline as a test, but anyone have any other ideas?

pete

One of the inmates at the avriders blog (Alex) sells a plastic tool that holds the foreskin back on the fuel nozzle. I bought 20 of them to give as gifts this Christmas season. $5 dollars each made a great gift

One of the inmates at the avriders blog (Alex) sells a plastic tool that holds the foreskin back on the fuel nozzle. I bought 20 of them to give as gifts this Christmas season. $5 dollars each made a great gift

Could you please give us an exact address to contact Alex?

Billet Gas Caps

Check out the link Karl provided. I put one on my 2009 R1200GS and one on my R1100RT last month, no more frustration with those damned "fuel recovery nozzles"...:dance

I'm with Karl - Billet cap - no need to turn off engine - gas & go
Not as nice as Oberon's from the UK - but 1/3 the price

I splurged and bought the McCuff mentioned above (post #9). Nope, it doesn't work on my 2011 R1200RT. The fuel filler cap has that proboscis (other more graphic terms will be avoided) that fits into the filler neck when the cap is closed, and that is what gets in the way and prevents the McCuff from working as designed. I'd return the McCuff to its maker but by dog found it to be a wonderfully entertaining chew toy, so that's what it is now. :doh

pete

Back