• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200RT Seat

spooled

I thought I would share a few pics of my new seat from Laam Seats. I have a Corbin front seat that I like, but thought it would be nice to try something else. A friend told me about Laam Seats in Redding, California and the very competitive pricing he had to offer. While the price is very good, what I didn't expect was the incredible customer service. I filled out the order form and received a call from Seth Laam the next day. He asked me several questions and then said to send it down to him and he would have it back in a week! I sent the seat (front and rear) down on Friday UPS. I received another call from Seth on Tuesday saying he had received the seats and would be working on it on Thursday and ship it out after he was done. Again he went over what I was looking for in the seat. I received a tracking number on Thursday indicating that my seat would be back to me on Saturday via Fedex ground. Sure enough, it arrived Saturday and exceeded my expectations. All told including my paying for UPS down to Laam Seats, I paid about $280.00. That included reshaping and recovering the front seat and recovering the rear seat. I chose the smooth vinyl option. Very happy with the seat so far, although I have only put a 100 mile day on it so far. Way better than the stock seat.
IMG_0947.jpgIMG_0949.jpgIMG_0952.jpg

He can do almost any seat, so an R1200R would most likely be no problem.

As for seat height. Seth asked me what height I wanted as well as had me send a picture of me sitting on the bike with me feet on the pegs. The stock height was fine for me, so I had him build it to the stock height. I think he can adjust the height with the foam according to you height.

'09 RT Seat

I've read a lot about the great customer service one gets from Laam seats. Now that you've had it for some time, how do you feel about its function? About how many miles do you ride on a typical road trip day? I'm contemplating between a Laam seat and a day-long.

Seat R1200RT

Great looking seat. I, like all of us I believe after 5 or so hours riding develop a sore cheek. Tried Air Hawk some improvement. I Hesitate to revamp the seat for say a 20 % gain. I frequently ride 600 to 700 mile day's when traveling and would love a real first had report on this seat if you have time.
Thanks Dave

I hate the stock seat because it is sloped and I slide forward.

It looks like yours is shaped so this won't happen.

Last edited:
Sorry, haven't been on here for a while a missed a few questions.
After riding with the seat for a while, it is a step up from the stock seat for sure. That being said, I still prefer my Corbin and pretty much use it all the time. I think that seats are very subjective as some people love their Corbin seats and some people hate them. I would say that the Laam would be preferred by most people over the stock setup though.

Oh I agree, the stock seat is really bad. I love the Corbin seat on my 08 RT. I am a bit confused though, what did you send to him?
You prefer the Corbin yet you sent in your front and rear seats to have shaped and recovered.
Did I miss something?
$280 is very reasonable. It is always nice to hear about good customer service!

I hate the stock seat because it is sloped and I slide forward.

It looks like yours is shaped so this won't happen.

Plus the saddle really provides a solid platform. It seems to me all the aftermarket seat builders use a saddle type design as compared to the no saddle forward sloping lousy stock seat.
Maybe the stock seat would work if you were 12 years old and weighed 90 lbs.

Cookie, I have a Corbin front and rear seat and sent in my stock front and rear seat to Laam. Yes, the price was reasonable, so since I hated the stock seat I decided to have it redone in addition to keeping the Corbin.

Back