• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R 1200 GS spark plug question

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
hi all, I have been running NGK DCPR8EKC plugs in my GS for some time. went to get new plugs today and no one has them. I got the last 2 at Napa, went to Oreillys and they said we have DCPR8EKP, and the only difference is, c is copper electrode and p is platinum. same length same heat, so it seems ok to me. is there any reason I shouldn't use the platinum? I am leaving on a 5000 mile trip on sunday. so my other thought was use the 2 copper plugs I got at Napa to replace my main plugs, and do the secondary after the trip. any thoughts? thanks

Platinum tips last longer than the standard plugs.
NOTE: Be VERY careful when checking the gap.

thanks Paul, I do have one other option, I could just run my current plugs, they look like a lightly toasted marshmallow, no irregularities. been running fine, just under 19,000 miles.

No need to check the gap as you risk damaging if you try to bend the side electrodes.
When the centre electrode gets oval, replace them.
Or simply replace them as per BMW schedule.

installed this morning, NGK DCPR8EKP, major service complete, time to test! heading to Boise Sunday morning. see you on the road

Very often the only source for spark plugs for BMW motorcycles is the dealer.

'mericun FLAPS are not in the business of parts for low volume, European luxury vehicles

I had Napa cross reference my BMW plugs at the first recommended interval, when the dealer told me almost $30 per plug. last I heard BMW wanted over $50 per plug. I just bought 4 NGK platinum plugs for $16 per plug.

took a short test ride yesterday, bike felt great, going for a longer ride today, on the road Sunday.

I had Napa cross reference my BMW plugs at the first recommended interval, when the dealer told me almost $30 per plug. last I heard BMW wanted over $50 per plug. I just bought 4 NGK platinum plugs for $16 per plug.

Last time I tried to buy from a normal auto part store, they had the correct plug, but didn't have the little screw on terminal top and the ones that I found online were crazily priced. I ended up just got them from Beemerboneyard for ~$13 per plug and no hassle.

Last time I tried to buy from a normal auto part store, they had the correct plug, but didn't have the little screw on terminal top and the ones that I found online were crazily priced. I ended up just got them from Beemerboneyard for ~$13 per plug and no hassle.

Generally, if I am discarding plugs with the screw-on top I take them off before discarding the plugs. Somewhere I have several of the little screw-on tops - but where?

Back