• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 Boxer Cup Replika

jkess911s

I am a new owner of a 2005 R1100S Box Cup Replika. I just picked this up last week from an Estate auction so I was not able to get much info about the bike. I am planning on getting new tires and noticed that the rear tire size currently on the bike ia 160/60 x 17. The original size was 180/55 x 17. Does any one know why the original owner would have changed the size?
Also I am getting ready to do my first oil change and I have heard that Mobil ! is a good choice. The bike has 21,000 miles on it. Would this be the same Mobil ! used in cars?

thanks

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Boxer Cup.
Your bike may have a 5 inch rear wheel or a 5.5 inch.
It it's a 5" you need a 170/60 tire and if you have a 5.5" wheel you need a 180/60 tire.

The wheel size is molded into the wheel. I think it's on one of the spokes on the final drive side.

I am planning on getting new tires and noticed that the rear tire size currently on the bike ia 160/60 x 17. The original size was 180/55 x 17. Does any one know why the original owner would have changed the size?

He probably found a bargain.

Also I am getting ready to do my first oil change and I have heard that Mobil ! is a good choice. The bike has 21,000 miles on it. Would this be the same Mobil ! used in cars?

I used Mobil 1 15W-50 in mine and was very happy with it. Alternately, you could use any oil which meets the specs in your owner manual.

Oh, and congrats on your acquisition!

Thanks for the responses. The wheel is stamped 5.50x17 so it looks like the previous owner was maybe experimenting with different sizes. I think I will go back to the original size. Oil change coming up this weekend - will go with the Mobil 1 15-50.
Very excited about the new bike. My other bikes in the garage are a 1998 Honda SuperHawk and a 2001 Ducati ST2. This Boxer Cup is a whole different animal!!! Looking forward to learning all about it.

Thanks for the responses. The wheel is stamped 5.50x17 so it looks like the previous owner was maybe experimenting with different sizes. I think I will go back to the original size. Oil change coming up this weekend - will go with the Mobil 1 15-50.
Very excited about the new bike. My other bikes in the garage are a 1998 Honda SuperHawk and a 2001 Ducati ST2. This Boxer Cup is a whole different animal!!! Looking forward to learning all about it.

Being a long-time Ducati owner myself, you'll find the BMW makes an excellent sport-touring machine. It IS a whole different animal. :thumb

I just traded (even), getting rid of an R1200RT and now have an '03 Boxer Cup with bags.

It joins my faithful '92 K100RS.

Both bikes do very similar jobs but go about it very differently.

Good luck with your '05!

I live in Midlothian as well. We need to get together for a ride sometime.

What? Ride with Bluehole? Be careful what you wish for.

Kidding, of course. Aside from a warped love of the R1100RS (and less love of the Pacific Blue R1100S) he's a pretty funny guy. :thumb

Be careful of BC1100S. He has a shady past around here. You may suffer guilt by association.

As for skibum69, well he ain't right. Last summer I am westbound on I-40 on my way to rally. skibumn69 flies by me on an R65...at least I think that is what he was riding. He was traveling so darn fast it was hard to tell. Don't let skibum69 fool you, he has Airhead roots.

Busted! I was cruising the whole way to TN at 75 on my '82 R65 LS. Obviously you were one of the crawly codgers in my way!:ha:ha:ha

Sounds like this BMW group is filled with a bunch of shady characters!!!!! Maybe I should stick with the Honda and Ducati crew.......

I will haul it away for FREE!

If you decide to back to the dark side just let me know, provide address and I'll come by and pick up that BCR for FREE!

Back