• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2001 R1100R hard start/cold idle sputter

kjeppesen

New to me R with only 3,000 original miles. (One owner California bike )
Does not want to start and keep running when cold. (With or without choke). Red charge light stays on until I apply throttle. When I start riding when cold it bucks and sputters. Like a misfire back fire thing.
If I ride it 10 miles to grocery store 75 ambient temperature
It is not steady idle at first. Wants to stall.

I ordered a fuel filter, and will clean throttle bodies tomorrow along with fuel filter. Can a declining battery cause this ? Or is it fuel related ?
It say a while (obviously). I am on second tank of fresh gas.
Ran some seafoam. Did nothing.

Any ideas appreciated.
My R NineT runs significantly better when cold 😉

Welcome to the forum!

All the previous suggestions are great. I would let it "limber up" a little. Bike has been sitting a lot.

Good luck.

Gary

What puzzles me is that when warm it runs very nice and idles smooth right at 1,000
Turn it off for 5-10 minutes (it’s obviously still warm) and it takes it a bit of throttle to get it back to running right.
I will take everyone’s advise and start with complete tuneup
Then I am going to put some serious miles on it.

What puzzles me is that when warm it runs very nice and idles smooth right at 1,000
Turn it off for 5-10 minutes (it’s obviously still warm) and it takes it a bit of throttle to get it back to running right.
I will take everyone’s advise and start with complete tuneup
Then I am going to put some serious miles on it.

I suspect there may be a problem with the engine temperature sensor.

The throttle bodies were surprisingly clean.
The hoses all look good
The stuff inside tank clean and in good order. New fuel filter.
I guess after it’s all put together
It’s time for a test

Put back together it starts right up. Idles and Revs smooth
Going for an extended test ride
Obviously drained tank to replace fuel filter. I do not like the color of the gas in tank. Think COFFEE.

And yes cold as I’m ambient. San Diego.

Not cold as in Denmark ����

Back