• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1542 Miles on an RT

T

TALLPAULS

My Longest Day!

BBG1500 - July 6, 2008
Distance: 1,542 miles from Red Bluff, CA to Rapid City, SD
Time: 22 hours 32 minutes
Average Speed: 68.4 mph (including stops)

My Route
2008IBABunBurnerGold1500map.jpg

My Cheat Sheet
2008BBG1500Route.jpg

The Proof of the Ride!
Certified IBA Ride Finishers
2008-IBABunBurnerGold1500Certificat.jpg

2008-BBG1500LicensePlate.jpg

I planned leaving at midnight on Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 12:00 am PST. I planned riding my BunBurner Gold 1500 right after my Alaska Tour. That way I was already used to riding all day. I was not sure where to ride to and my wife suggested riding somewhere that everyone knows about. Not just somewhere obscure, turn around, and come home. I planned my ride to Rapid City, SD to see Mount Rushmore and wanted to try it after the 4th of July holiday was over figuring the roads would be pretty empty. I also wanted to leave at midnight so I can end my ride before dark the next day. I got up Saturday morning the day of departure around 7am as I normally do. I spent the day going over my bike, rechecking my GPS gas stops, making sure everything was ready and packing my food/water for the ride. I took along with me 10 bottles of water, 4 bananas, 2 sandwiches, hard candy, grapes, jerky, and candy bars. I went to bed around 6pm, but couldnÔÇÖt sleep. I laid there for hours trying to sleep, but couldnÔÇÖt. I was too excited thinking about the ride. I will find out later I wasted valuable riding time waiting until midnight to leave. About 10pm I told my wife I hadnÔÇÖt slept at all since last night and maybe I should wait to leave. I set the alarm for a couple more hours to try to get some sleep. More time went by, still not sleeping and the midnight departure time was approaching. I had to make a decision now or wait until tomorrow. I told my wife I was leaving. My wife and daughter saw me off from the house at 12:00 midnight to go get my fuel receipt. At 12:16am I got my gas receipt at the gas station on Main Street, recorded the date, time, location, O.D. reading in my log and I was off. The ritual of collecting my gas receipt and writing in my log would repeat itself 12 more times.
-Stop 1: 12:16 am PT; <st1:country-region>USA</st1:country-region> Gas, Red Bluff CA; OD 25290-

Before the trip I made myself a little cheat sheet to remind me where and when my next stop was. I even listed locations along the way and what time I should be there. That way I could see if I was going to make it or not. My first stop was the Chevron in Vacaville, CA. I chose this stop because it added more miles to my route. A direct route from my home to Rapid City, SD was only 1385 miles. I needed to make a few detours along the way to add necessary miles. The ride to Vacaville was hot and uneventful. As I remember, traffic was almost nil and the stars were out.
-Stop 2: 02:06 am PT; Chevron, Vacaville, CA; OD 25420; 130 miles; 1 hr 50 min; 71 avg. mph; 39.6 avg. mpg-

Before I left Vacaville, I put on my Gerbing's Heated Jacket Liner in preparation for Donner Summit (Elevation 7,227 ft.) which was along the way to Reno, NV and I knew it would probably get chilly. Between Vacaville and Sacramento the traffic picked up a little and I was concerned about drunk drivers. I tried to stay away from everyone else, but tried to stay five miles above the posted speed limit. I began to wish I hadnÔÇÖt put on my heated jacket liner. Even though I didnÔÇÖt turn it on it was really hot. I had to pull over just outside Sacramento to strip off the liner. A little while later, I found myself getting cold and had to put it back on. As I was going over Donner Pass I encountered deer on the road. I had to slow down and decided to stay behind a pickup while doing this portion of my ride. When I finally pulled into the gas station it wasnÔÇÖt in Reno, but Sparks. In Reno, I didnÔÇÖt see my preplanned gas stop and didnÔÇÖt want to waste time trying to find it so I kept going to find another. I planned 10 minutes at each stop and I was already 15 minutes behind schedule. I know this doesnÔÇÖt sound like much, but I told myself if I lose 15 minutes every stop I wonÔÇÖt make it.
-Stop 3: 04:45 am PT; Chevron, Sparks, NV; OD 25587; 167 miles; 2 hrs 39 min; 63 avg. mph; 40.98 avg. mpg-

Sparks, NV to Winnemucca, NV was cold, but the long stretches of open highway allowed me to make up some time.
-Stop 4: 06:56 am PT; JimÔÇÖs Chevron, Winnemucca, NV; OD 25746; 159 miles; 2 hrs 11 min; 72.9 avg. mph; 36.79 avg. mpg-

My next stop was supposed to be Wells, NV but as I approached Carlin I noticed a gas station right off the freeway and I didnÔÇÖt want to chance not being able to find one close to the freeway as I did back in Reno. My preplanning included gas stations right off the freeway, but as I found out sometimes the trip planner is wrong. Or, maybe it is me that is impaired. I figured seeing is believing! No sense in taking chances.
-Stop 5: 08:25 am PT; Pilot, Carlin, NV; OD 25851; 105 miles; 1 hr 29 min; 70 avg. mph; 35.56 avg. mpg-

Carlin, NV to Wendover, NV had long stretches of open highway and again I was able to make up some time. The morning cold was turning to a nice warm day. I took off everything I had on for cold weather. I made even better time on this leg. However, with the changing time zone I just lost an hour of daylight.
-Stop 6: 11:11 am MT; Chevron, Wendover, NV; OD 25980; 129 miles; 1 hr 46 min; 73.7 avg. mph; 43 avg. mpg-

Wendover to Lakepoint, UT had more open highway and it was really getting hot! I thought about stripping down to a t-shirt, but everything I read says to stay at least in your riding jacket and pants. I wish my Olympic AST Jacket didnÔÇÖt have so much Velcro to undo and wished I only had to open zippers. Finally, with my jacket opened to let air in, I was off.
-Stop 7: 12:37 pm MT; Top Stop, Lakepoint, UT; OD 26079; 99 miles; 1 hr 26 min; 69 avg. mph; 35.4 avg. mpg-

Leaving the desert and riding into the mountains on the way to Little America, Sweetwater, WY was great. I was finally out of the hot desert and it felt good. At least I have a few turns to keep me occupied. I turned on my music CD and cranked it up! The turns are great to stay awake. As I approached Little America I came upon a Supercell with rain and lightning. I mean the kind of rain you pull over for and the kind of lightning that makes you afraid. I pulled over for a few minutes and didnÔÇÖt feel safe just sitting there. I couldnÔÇÖt turn around either so I thought it would be safer moving on than sitting around waiting for lightning to strike me. I got behind a trucker and into his tracks and let him pave my way to Little America. After about 10 minutes I arrived at Little America and the gas pumps were invaded by bikers! There were bikes everywhere! They completely ÔÇ£hoggedÔÇØ up the middle section of the pumps keeping out of the rain. I had no choice but to get gas near the edge where rain might get into my fuel tank. I filled her up while leaning over the fill hole as best I could. After filling up the tank I took advantage of the rain storm and I headed inside to go to the bathroom and make a call to my wife. Not long after, I headed back to my RT. Just before I left a few guys came over and said I could push my bike next to theirs until the rain stopped. I told them what I was doing and off I went back to the highway.
-Stop 8: 03:06 pm MT; Little America, Sweetwater, WY; OD 26244; 165 miles; 2 hrs 29 min; 66 avg. mph; 53.3 avg. mpg-

As I left Little America for Rawlins, WY, I could feel them all staring at me as I headed for the interstate. I know what they were thinking and maybe I am crazy; but, I figured, if I donÔÇÖt speed and stay behind a trucker like already did, I should be fine. The downpour only lasted another ten more miles or so. Then, the sky cleared and I was back in my groove.
-Stop 9: 05:03 pm MT; Conoco, Rawlins, WY; OD 26387; 143 miles; 1 hr 57 min; 71.5 avg. mph; 38.8 avg. mpg-

From Rawlins, WY to Casper, WY is the only two lane road on the entire route. The two lane highway starts out with no passing and then opens up. I was lucky that there werenÔÇÖt many cars on the road. It would have cost me a lot of valuable time. About 20 miles outside of Casper I was hit by a fierce crosswind. It was so bad it almost blew me off the road. For about ten miles I couldnÔÇÖt manage anything over 40 mph and be safe. By the time I got to Casper all the cars I passed on this darn two lane road had caught up with me. I slowed down even further and let them all pass me. At the fuel stop in Casper there were a lot of teenagers hanging around looking at me so I decided not to leave the bike unattended. This stop was strictly gas and go. Normally this would not bother me but I was by myself and far from home.
-Stop 10: 06:44 pm MT; Loaf N Jug, Casper, WY; OD 26500; 113 miles; 1 hr 41 min; 67.2 avg. mph; 45.7 avg. mpg-

As I left Casper, WY on my way to Buffalo, WY I had to ride in 2 inch deep hail. I pulled over a few times until a truck went by and then followed in his tracks until he was too far ahead and had to wait for another truck to go by to do it again. I repeated this for about 8 miles or so. After that the sky semi-cleared and I got to watch the sunset with its glowing red/orange colors. By the time I got to Buffalo it was raining again. At this point in the ride it was getting really dark out and hard to see the road. I was wondering where all the reflectors were on the highway.
-Stop 11: 08:32 pm MT; Kum & Go, Buffalo, WY; OD 26617; 117 miles; 1 hr 48 min; 67.2 avg. mph; 44.9 avg. mpg-

Buffalo, WY to Gillette, WY is known as my ride from hell. I was getting tired and I didnÔÇÖt want to be riding after dark. I thought I had left Red Bluff at the right time to avoid this. This is when I realized I should have left a lot earlier than midnight. If I had to do it over, I would leave about 7 pm. That way I would be ending my ride in the daylight hours. Anyway, the ride to Gillette was horrible. It was raining so hard I couldnÔÇÖt see the road. I stopped in the middle of nowhere to put my heated jacket liner back on and my cold weather gear. I sure missed the California highways and all their stupid safety reflectors, bright paint, and stupid signs. The only way I knew I was on a road is because it was flat and a guard rail would appear from time to time and, of course, the two cars going the other direction.
-Stop 12: about 10:09 pm MT; Flying J, Gillette, WY; OD 26687; 70 miles; No time on receipt; ? avg. mph; 31 avg. mpg-

From Gillette, WY to Rapid City, SD was the worst and best time of the ride. It was till raining, I was getting really tired, and I thought I was going to have to quit. If I would have come up on a town at that moment I would have quit. The only problem with quitting out here is I didnt know where I was or where the nearest town was. I did know one thing, I was on schedule and I made sure I had two hours to spare just in case. I knew that Rapid City was somewhere ahead of me and I could take it easy the rest of the way and still make it. As I approached Sturgis, SD, I knew I was close. At this point I was so tired I started yelling a few times to get myself motivated. As you probably know, the last 100 miles is always the hardest! At this point I found myself standing up on the bike watching the water shoot out from the tires. I was trying to enjoy the last of my ride, no matter what. It was at that moment that I knew I was actually going to make it.
As I pulled into my last gas stop I could see the Hampton Inn across the street and I already had my room reserved. I didnÔÇÖt realize that my wife was in CA also watching for me to arrive. She had the night clerk on the phone for the last two hours asking if I had gotten there yet. The last thing the night clerk told my wife before I showed up was given the rain he figured I would be hiding under a bridge somewhere. He said no one would be out in this. Needless to say, I arrived at the gas station, got my receipt, my witnesses were also amazed I would be riding in the rain, and headed to the hotel. I was so close to my final destination and wouldnÔÇÿt you know it, they were doing construction on the road leading to the motel. The road was blocked off and I had to take the back way inÔǪ after I found it I rode to the front door and parked my bike. It turns out the phone call my wife made to the clerk served more than one purposeÔǪ the clerk was ready for me with my key, pizza and a soda on the counter. He even opened the indoor whirlpool for me and made sure it was heated up ready to get in. I ate the food, talked a bit on the phone with my wife, thanked the clerk, and changed in my room for a visit to the hot tub. It was all worth it now!
-Final Stop 13: 11:48 pm MT; Exxon, Rapid City, SD; OD 26827; 140 miles; 3 hrs 16 min since Buffalo; 64 avg. mph since Buffalo; 43 avg. mpg since Buffalo-

The next morning I rode to Mount Rushmore for my photo to be taken.
2008-MountRushmore_0016.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0003.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0005.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0011.jpg

This will give you some idea just how big the monument is...
2008-MountRushmore_0006.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0019.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0023.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0024.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0025.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0031.jpg

2008-MountRushmore_0033.jpg

Looking back on the ride what would I do differently:
If I ever encounter lightning again I would stop and take a break (if possible).
I should be more flexible in changing my route when the need arises.
Depart around 7 pm.

Looking back on the ride what would I do the same:
The rain didn't bother me.
I couldn't do anything about the hail on the roadway. There was no place to stop and following a truck was the best thing to do.
I brought the right amount of food and water. I ate and drank while riding. I cut my food into small portions before the ride so I could just reach in and grab something in my tank bag. I divided my food into four plastic bags with a little of everything in each bag. I started off with one bag and as I emptied it I replaced it with another. As for water, I drank about 3/4 of a bottle of water on every leg. I know from previous experiences not to get dehydrated.
I made a new CD to listen to with upbeat hits for the twisties.
I stood up and let my legs hang before I was tired.
My 10 minute stops worked out well. Gas, record information in my log, go to the bathroom, and leave. It worked most of the time unless there was a line for the gas pumps or the bathroom.

Paul Smith
Red Bluff, CA

Last edited:
Good write up

Great write up. I did my iron butt last summer from Seattle to Gillette which was only 1063 and I had great weather all the way. I am amazed you stuck it out in such terrible conditions. The thing I remember the most was how all I wanted to do was get off the bike during the last 100 mile because my ass was really complaining. I said I would never do it again. Reading your story makes me think about going for it.

That was great! I enjoyed it very much! I'm thinking about doing ( attempting ) the 1,000 miles in 24 Hrs this year. I've done it a couple times when I was younger, but had never heard of the Iron Butt award. Thanks again for a great story.:bolt

Awesome!

Great story and a good write up. I can't wait to do my SS1K in June. It will be my first LD event. I find it interesting to read the things that you go through in various stages of the day. Thanks again for taking the time to write about it.

Why? An onest question. This sounds like self flagilation to me. I would rather enjoy the ride. What made you do it. Do you realize the danger you were to yourself and others?

Jack

Why? An onest question. This sounds like self flagilation to me. I would rather enjoy the ride. What made you do it. Do you realize the danger you were to yourself and others?

Jack

without knowing "tall Paul" how do you know he was a danger to himself or anyone else. NewsFlash............ Not all men are created equal.

Good job! Thanks for posting, and I tip my visor to you, Sir!!!

Jack
I presume just to see if he can. Why do people climb Everest or run a marathon, or any other extreme event. People like to find their limits I suppose. I have no idea why I want to do the SS1K. I just want to see if I can I guess.

Great write up. I did my iron butt last summer from Seattle to Gillette which was only 1063 and I had great weather all the way. I am amazed you stuck it out in such terrible conditions. The thing I remember the most was how all I wanted to do was get off the bike during the last 100 mile because my ass was really complaining. I said I would never do it again. Reading your story makes me think about going for it.

Congratulations of your SS1000. I also remember the last 100 miles on my first SS. I told myself I'll never do that again. Then, after several years here I am doing a BBG. For me, after I complete a challenge, I find myself wanting to do more. I wish you the best on your next adventure! :burnout

That was great! I enjoyed it very much! I'm thinking about doing ( attempting ) the 1,000 miles in 24 Hrs this year. I've done it a couple times when I was younger, but had never heard of the Iron Butt award. Thanks again for a great story.:bolt

Good luck on your SS attempt this year. If I may, plan your ride all out in advance. I would suggest riding strictly on the interstates so you don't have to worry about finding gas, food, or help if needed. The interstate also lets you keep a good pace to complete the ride in the shortest amount of time. Try to avoid big cities where the traffic will slow you down. A good rule to follow for any ride is if your wheels aren't moving your not going anywhere. I wish you good luck on your attempt and hope your ride is successful!

Last edited:
without knowing "tall Paul" how do you know he was a danger to himself or anyone else. NewsFlash............ Not all men are created equal.

Good job! Thanks for posting, and I tip my visor to you, Sir!!!

I presume just to see if he can. Why do people climb Everest or run a marathon, or any other extreme event. People like to find their limits I suppose. I have no idea why I want to do the SS1K. I just want to see if I can I guess.

I want to thank you both for your support!

Good luck empeg on your SS attempt!

Last edited:
Good luck on your SS attempt this year. If I may, plan your ride all out in advance. I would suggest riding strictly on the interstates so you don't have to worry about finding gas, food, or help if needed. The interstate also lets you keep a good pace to complete the ride in the shortest amount of time. Try to avoid big cities where the traffic will slow you down. A good rule to follow for any ride is if your wheels aren't moving your not going anywhere. I wish you good luck on your attempt and hope your ride is successful!

Thanks for the advice. Here's what I'm thinking about, but I need to check the mileage to be sure. Florence, S.C. to Jacksonville, Fl. to Alanta, Ga. and back to Florence, S.C. I could do a Florence, S.C. to Nashville, Tn. and back, but I think that would be boring.

Thanks for the advice. Here's what I'm thinking about, but I need to check the mileage to be sure. Florence, S.C. to Jacksonville, Fl. to Alanta, Ga. and back to Florence, S.C. I could do a Florence, S.C. to Nashville, Tn. and back, but I think that would be boring.

I think you are wise choosing a route that brings you back home for the end of your ride. As for the boring part, I don't know your area and cannot give you advise on where to go. Do the ride that you feel comfortable with and enjoy it. Be flexible during the ride. If I had to do mine over again as soon as I saw the lightning I would have turned around and chose another destination. If I would have turned around I could have rode back to Reno, NV and had 1,619 miles. That would have been plenty for my BBG. Remember, it isn't the locations that matter. It's the time and mileage that matter.

I checked the distance of Florence, S.C. to Jacksonville, Fl. to Alanta, Ga. and back to Florence, S.C. I used Microsoft Streets and Trips Map to calculate only 944 miles. If I have it correct, you'll have to add on another 100 more miles or so to that ride.

Florence, S.C. to Nashville, Tn. and back. My calculation is 1,035 miles. This may be sufficient just be sure where you'll get your gas. For example, When you enter Nashville to get your gas receipt you'll probably want to get it just as you enter the city limits and ride back to Florence. You may have just lost 10-15 miles based upon the trips program had you at the center of town not the outskirts. I would enter in a gas station near where you want to verify you were there and check your mileage from that location. I hope I made sense. This will be very important especially if you plan to get gas on the outskirts of several big cities.

Remember to go over the required 1,000 miles by about 50 miles so that if IBA uses a different program it will still be enough. Also, even though you have to record your odometer reading at every gas stop don't rely on that mileage as the actual mileage. Odometers can be off by a lot either way. Make sure you have a program that can verify your ride so you have made the required mileage.

I hope this helps.

thanks Paul, I'm going to record the bike's speedo reading, but will use my Garmin Zumo for a more percise measurment of distance. :thumb

Jack

:rolleyes

good job man! that's a pretty impressive ride, i get jealous of your western horizons, an IBA event in new england is a much different beast! haven't quite reached 1500 in a day, 12 or so. i've done 2 IBA sanctioned events on a R1100S and two other 1K plus days on the same bike. I did a "Boring Butt 500" on a 84 R80ST this weekend from Ohio to NYC. :laugh my days of long distance riding to say i did it are for the most part behind me though, 1 i'm cheap and 2 i think it's a bit of a waste of gas.

Jack

:laugh :laugh :laugh same thing they prob said to Magellan & Columbus among others

It's not for everyone, that horse has been dragged to death .

Congrats Paul...I only got 550 in yesterday running down to north of Houston & back...

:rolleyes

good job man! that's a pretty impressive ride, i get jealous of your western horizons, an IBA event in new england is a much different beast! haven't quite reached 1500 in a day, 12 or so. i've done 2 IBA sanctioned events on a R1100S and two other 1K plus days on the same bike. I did a "Boring Butt 500" on a 84 R80ST this weekend from Ohio to NYC. :laugh my days of long distance riding to say i did it are for the most part behind me though, 1 i'm cheap and 2 i think it's a bit of a waste of gas.

:

Congrats Paul...I only got 550 in yesterday running down to north of Houston & back...

Thanks Derek and Steve! It was fun planning and doing the ride, but I don't think I'll ever want to do it again. I'll probably still ride a few SS1000 along the way, but it is nice just riding and getting miles without actually meaning to!
Thanks again to the both of you for the support!

Wow, nice job!! :bow

"That's all I have to say about that right now." -Forest Gump

Back