• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'12 R12R factory LED install - cake

mchad

I ordered a set of LED indicators and the LED tail light. MAX advised me I needed a "retrofit kit", which I ordered as well. To my pleasant surprise, the entire install took all of 20 minutes in total. The indicator kit included weatherproof plugs with wire tails and some crimps and heat shrink sleeves, which the instructions said I would need to splice into the existing wirng. However, I found that on my bike at least, the existing indicators used the same connectors as the new LED's do, so plug and play, 5 minutes a side. The tail did require a harness adapter, as the incandescent version has 3 blade connectors on the harness, and the LED uses a plug-in connector. Instead of the included splice kit, I used Ancor marine grade butt connectors, which have adhesive lined heat shrink sleeves. As bullet (and weather) proof as they come. All in all, easy as pie. Except for the need to get the lamp warning cleared, but I'm due my 600 mile service on Friday, so two birds.... And, $35 back for the retrofit kit I didn't need!

I'm terrible with photos, but here are a couple. I forgot to take any of the tail, but I will add later.

They are VERY bright, and the lens diffuses the light nicely, and the new surface mount LED's are not the directional elements of the past... These are very visable from the sides as well.

before...
138732085.jpg

These are the connectors...
138738688.jpg

after...
138732082.jpg

Last edited:
Update: It turns out the lamp warning is an actual warning, not the need for coding. Brought her in for 600m service, and explained the LED install, and the need to clear the lamp warn. The service mgr was surprised at the lamp warn, as she said the ecu should not need it on a '12. As it turns out, the LED tail had a broken terminal (only 2 connectors present in the socket, not the three it should). When I asked why the tail was working as expected (light on when running, light bright on brake) she said the ecu does that as a failsafe. I found that odd, but whatever. We put it back together, since they didnt have another tail in stock, and they ordered one (with my cc) and will send it with a return label and will refund the charge when they get it back - under warrantee replacement. Unfortunatly, the warrantee didn't cover the .75h labor for the troubleshooting, but cest la vie. So hopefully that does it.

When I asked why the tail was working as expected (light on when running, light bright on brake) she said the ecu does that as a failsafe. I found that odd, but whatever.

Not odd and not new. There are several implementations of the feature. Run the filaments at 1/2 power for running lights and at full power for brake lights. This way when a filament blows you have reduced the brightness, yet still with full function.

These days when the bike says you've got lighting issues you have to pull the bulbs and check with a meter. Your eyes may not give you the full story.

you paid for 3/4 an hr labor while your bike was in for a 600 mile service, and under warranty? no way should you have paid a penny if i'm reading what you posted correctly.......... in fact if it the case as i described above-- you ougtha demand your money back.

you paid for 3/4 an hr labor while your bike was in for a 600 mile service, and under warranty? no way should you have paid a penny if i'm reading what you posted correctly.......... in fact if it the case as i described above-- you ougtha demand your money back.

It really wasn't what I would consider an under warrantee repair, as *I* installed the LED tail light retrofit kit. Yes, the kit was damaged, and it is being replaced under the parts warrantee, but I wouldn't expect them to pick up the labor troublshooting something I installed. Now, if I brought it there for the LED install initially, I wouldn't expect to pay extra time for the troubleshooting, as the install would likely be a flat rate item, and if the part was defective - thats all on them. However in my case, like I said, I don't expect them to cover it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not upset over it.

Add'tl update. Replacement LED tail arrived today, and it has the same two connectors as the one I have (seeming it's missing a 3rd contact). After calling the dealers service dept, they want it back for more troubleshooting. Now I'm hesitant to do that, as apparently they don't know any more then I do about this kit, and I don't feel much like paying hourly for them to *try* and figure it out. I'm teetering on putting the original incandescent unit back in and giving up.

You might look at this R12R thread about the retrofit LED tail light LAMP error. I retrofitted the LED tail light on my bike, and to clear the LAMP error, the bike needed to be "retrofitted with GT1," according to the work order. I interpreted that as an electronic handshake.

The tail lights you ordered could be fine. The ZFE is likely tripping because of the reduced power draw from the LED tail light, and it's likely that it needs to be told this is the new normal. I would also confirm the part number of the light you're ordering. There's an SAE and ECE version of the LED tail. You want the SAE/U.S. version (63 21 7 713 302).

Cost me $75 to have the LAMP error cleared.

Yes, thats the p/n I have. The issue is that this assembly only uses 2 pins, vs. 3 on the original incandescent. I'm betting it needs the re-program. My problem is when I called MAX BMW service back, the service manager said she didn't see any option to re-program it when they were troubleshooting it originally (for which they charged me an hour labor). That and the fact that they originally told me that the light was broken because of the lack of the 3rd pin, and now that i need to bring it back for more "troubleshooting" makes me a little leery of that dealer. I may call Manhattan BMW service and see if they know any more about it and will actually code it.

Resolved

Ended up taking her down to Manhattan BMW today, who coded the control unit for the LED and cleared the error, in an hour. Done.

Concidentally, I got an email from who I assume is the owner of Max BMW, asking my satisfaction with my 600 mile service. I explained the situation (my dissatisfaction with the "troubleshooting", the "defective tail light" call, and so on. He replied saying he agreed and would refund the hour and a half I was charged. IMO that is very good business practice, and may allow me to use them in the future. Surprising, and nice to see.

Back