• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

03 R1150RT: Is it time for an ABS modulectomy?

rogerc60

A while back on this thread I asked "where did my brake fluid go?" Now I've found the answer to my own question: the ABS module itself is leaking. I dug into the bike this afternoon to diagnose a low fluid level fault code, thinking I was going to be troubleshooting the level sensors and associated wiring. But just to be sure I opened the rear reservoir cap (the one that was empty before) and found the reservoir empty again.

The tray under the module (and under the battery, too) is damp with brake fluid. The four solid brake lines running into the top of the module are dry, as are the two reservoir vent hoses. The three sides of the module that I can see without removing it from the bike are also dry. This leaves only the bottom of the module and the back side next to the motronic.

How fixable is something like this? I'm not afraid to open up the module to work on it, but is this worth the effort? I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff but I don't have machine tools or machinist skills. I'm considering buying a used module, or just bypassing ABS and going with old fashioned manual brakes.

R1150RT brake module

In response to your question about fixing your leaky ABS module, have you tried Modulemasters? They seem to be able to fix these iABS modules now.

Yes, I considered that approach. There's apparently a very long waiting list and I didn't want to wait. I removed the module and converted to manual brakes. I've been riding that way for two weeks and am very happy with the braking performance.

Yes, I considered that approach. There's apparently a very long waiting list and I didn't want to wait. I removed the module and converted to manual brakes. I've been riding that way for two weeks and am very happy with the braking performance.

Make sure your insurance company knows you now have a non ABS bike. If something ever happens and you have not advised them of that very serious safety equipment modification your insurance may be invalid.

While you are riding sans ABS I would send your module in for repairs. ABS can be a lifesaver. If you must ride with it disabled I think there is a button for that.

Thanks, Happy Wanderer, that's an excellent point and one that I completely overlooked. I took another look at my policy declarations page and saw a discount for ABS. I called the insurance company this morning about it. They removed the ABS discount and my policy rate is increasing by $2.75 for the year.

Thanks, Happy Wanderer, that's an excellent point and one that I completely overlooked. I took another look at my policy declarations page and saw a discount for ABS. I called the insurance company this morning about it. They removed the ABS discount and my policy rate is increasing by $2.75 for the year.

Wow that was a cheap solution! Insurance companies are really good at finding ways not to pay out claims so this is cheap peace of mind.

I've had three bikes with ABS, including my current R1100RT. I've actually never had it come on in any of them. My wife's car, I think once, and it was not an imminent crash situation. I have two bikes without ABS and I'm grateful for the simplicity. It's fine to have, but especially on the older bikes, it seems to be an ongoing area of failure. And if it does fail, you're almost to the cost point of scrapping the bike for the pump replacement, ($1,600, I thought). It's actually the only reason I would sell my 1100, but I keep hoping mine doesn't go out, since I like the relative ease of repair of the 1100 series compared to newer models. I know there's no guarantees in riding, but if you keep the speed down, stay constantly alert, and always ride defensively, I think you can be pretty safe without it. There's no ABS on Airheads and people put a lot of miles on them.

While you are riding sans ABS I would send your module in for repairs. ABS can be a lifesaver. If you must ride with it disabled I think there is a button for that.

How did we manage to ride before ABS?

I don't mind having ABS, but not having it would not bother me either. Rode two wheels for 50 years without and I am still here!

We have bikes with ABS, some without. Yes, have ridden for years without and maybe a few incidents would have different outcomes with it. I still ride an Airhead as well and ride/brake accordingly.

We bought our 11S used from a dealer and was an ABS model...however at first service I performed, discovered the system had been removed. Was not happy that it wasn't disclosed but it is what it is. H had a situation on it prior to the discovery where the ABS would have kept her on the road...she ended up sliding by the road hazard (deer) and into the grass and will rarely ride that bike anymore...she is no rookie. Her worst get off many years ago before my time was a gravel issue on her non ABS Springer HD when she stopped and the guy behind her did not and her next ride was in a helicopter. It is a step forward in bike safety regardless of personal beliefs even I still have about my dashing skillsets on two wheels.

It's your bike, my thoughts are if you are keeping the bike until it's no longer rideable, do what you want. For folks who are trading in or selling in future...please advise the next guy it is gone or keep it original as designed.

I've had three bikes with ABS, including my current R1100RT. I've actually never had it come on in any of them. My wife's car, I think once, and it was not an imminent crash situation. I have two bikes without ABS and I'm grateful for the simplicity. It's fine to have, but especially on the older bikes, it seems to be an ongoing area of failure. And if it does fail, you're almost to the cost point of scrapping the bike for the pump replacement, ($1,600, I thought). It's actually the only reason I would sell my 1100, but I keep hoping mine doesn't go out, since I like the relative ease of repair of the 1100 series compared to newer models. I know there's no guarantees in riding, but if you keep the speed down, stay constantly alert, and always ride defensively, I think you can be pretty safe without it. There's no ABS on Airheads and people put a lot of miles on them.

- The ABS actually "comes on" every time you ride the bike. When you start off at about 12 MPH you should hear a racket and a whirring sound which is the pump. It gets initialized and tested every time you take off and intermittently after that you will hear it again from time to time when you leave a stop sign or light.
- ABS II systems are totally rebuildable and usually for well under $1,000. You do not have to buy a brand new one. Module Masters will fix it.
- If you do not wish to have ABS problems the number one item used to prevent problems is annual brake system bleeding that _includes_ the ABS module. The biggest problem is moisture in the system which corrodes critical tolerance parts which leads to ABS faults invariably.
- Of course there is no substitute for safe riding. I have two airheads and one oilhead. I ride them differently when it comes to braking. I also make sure that every spring or whenever the oilhead has been sitting for a while to go out, find a suitable place and get the bike going quick enough to skid the tires. I apply full brake and try to lock them up on purpose just to exercise the ABS module but more importantly to get my brain to remember how it feels and how it behaves. This is helpful when it comes on in an emergency as you recognize what is happening and do not panic.

How did we manage to ride before ABS?

I don't mind having ABS, but not having it would not bother me either. Rode two wheels for 50 years without and I am still here!

I am also in my 50th year of riding. My oilhead is the first ABS machine I have ever owned. I find it works pretty well and has helped me a few times on wet surfaces and gravel roads. Yeah sure we got by without it but now we have it. We got by without electricity too... This is an old argument that does not really solve or prove anything. Modern technology is something that improves our lives and improves the things we use and do in our lives. Some of it is just tech for the sake of tech but when it comes to safety and engineered materials we have come a very long way in a very short time.

As a retired semiconductor industry professional I embrace technology when I find it's use appropriate and just ignore what is of no use to me. It's all about choices I suppose.

/2 ABS test bikes

On a lighter note, I began my BMW ownership with an R 60US and continued to enjoy owning the older ('55 - '69) bikes and have found all those bikes have Anti-Lock-Brakes (ABS). I got a couple /5's and /6 bikes and found you can lock and slide or high side pretty easy if you over estimate your ability or underestimate the bikes response. I moved into the later "whizzy brake" bikes with my 04 GSA and beyond so I got spoiled with the "I can;t drop it if I tried" attitude because I have the ABS to save me. I had to retreat a little with my "I can't drop it" attitude after I added a few modern Non-ABS bikes back into the stable and learned a valuable lesson. "Never trust technology beyond your ability". ABS is like insurance, you really never want to use it but you are relieved when you have to. ABS or Non-ABS, always ride smart!

I didn't mean to imply that I think ABS is a bad idea on bikes. But it seems like it was the beginning of a trend that BMW has now taken to extremes: amazingly complicated motorcycles. The computer running everything, shocks and braking constantly adjusting hundreds of times per second, complex video displays, etc. I'm sure these things are all fun to have and are supposed to make the bike safer. But in my mind they are no substitute for ultra safe defensive riding skills. That is the only thing that will hopefully keep me alive on my bike, especially in today's world. And, I imagine, the expense of needing to have the dealer fix all that stuff will be a real eye opener. Long gone are the former days of BMW ownership with ultra dependable, simple machines that could be maintained by the owner alone, thus make owning a BMW financially possible. Personally, I have no plans to move beyond my 96 ABS equipped machine. And I may even drop back to my non ABS 94 Honda Pacific Coast for it's reputation of dependability and non-maintenance.

Thinking about it, I believe a critical factor for ABS and the rest of it is mileage ridden. If, judging from the annual mileage contest, people are riding these bikes ten to twenty thousand miles a year, year in and year out, it's worth buying a new bike and getting all the bells and whistles. I'm ashamed to admit my mileage is considerable lower. That probably accounts for my seemingly grain of salt attitude about all those features.

Back