• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'03 K1200RS Electrical Gremlin

VIEJO

My '03 K1200RS (42K) has never missed a beat since I bought it new, but, about two weeks ago when I turned on the ignition key the dash lights came on full strength, I heard the ABS pump ramp up, and got no response when I hit the starter button (kill switch in he run position). I recycled the ignition switch and the dash lights only came on at about half power and the ABS pump did not ramp up. I recycled the ignition switch a few more times, everything energized normally, and the bike started and ran with no further issues. Several more normal starts over the next few days but yesterday it reverted back to dim dash lights, no ABS pump ramp up, no starter engagement. The battery is good (on a minder), battery connections are clean and tight at the posts, and there is no visible sign of arcing or shorting in the electrical relay box.

I suspect either a faulty ignition switch or faulty kill switch but my electrical diagnostic abilities are limited at best and it is very easy to make a very expensive mistake here.

Are these symptoms familiar to anyone?

Thanks,

Dave

My first question is battery age.
OM

AGM/14 months..... when cycling the ignition switch on previous non-starts the dash lights/ABS pump would power up normally and then on the next cycle the dash lights came up at reduced illumination and no ABS pump ramp up. Strong dash lights and ABS pump ramp up did not always guarantee starter engagement. When the starter did engage the bike started and ran normally. :dunno

I don’t know if K12s have the same issue as early Ks, but it sounds like dirty ignition switch contacts or possibly dirty starter commutator.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

03 K1200RS Electrical Gremlin

I am wondering if its the AGM battery I have heard that some newer batteries will die without warning. Plenty of light but no amperage for starting.

I don’t know if K12s have the same issue as early Ks, but it sounds like dirty ignition switch contacts or possibly dirty starter commutator.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks..... I'm leaning toward a faulty/dirty ignition switch myself.

I am wondering if its the AGM battery I have heard that some newer batteries will die without warning. Plenty of light but no amperage for starting.

I originally thought the battery might be suspect but as the problem was intermittent I've pretty much (but not quite 100% yet) ruled that out as I don't believe batteries will heal themselves.... although I am always amazed at the number of things that happen that "can't happen" with electrical systems.

Back