• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'00 R1100S burning smell NO FUEL PRIME NO START issues

pepeklaus

I smelled a burning plastic smell before my r1100s broke down on the side of the road. I traced the cause of the burning smell to the wires from the right handlebar kill switch that plug to the righthand side relay box as shown in photo. IMG_3251.jpg

The current symptoms of the bike are no start and no fuel prime. I checked first for fuses and only 1 was broken. A 4amp fuse for the rear light I think. Next I checked for the starter relay and I confirmed that it was not working. So that is probably the cause of the no start.

The no fuel prime issue is more difficult to diagnose. I swapped the horn and load relief relays with the fuel pump and motronic relay and I still had no fuel prime. I then jumped the fuel prime relay by inserting a wire to pin 3 and pin 5 and the fuel pump worked. I think that rules out any continuity issues with the fuel prime. I also swapped out the motronic unit with a spare one that is known to be good and still got no fuel prime. Am I correct in assuming that power from the battery stops somewhere between the ignition switch or the handlebar kill switch according to the electrical diagrams?

Have I ruled out all other possibilities?

My first suspect with the "no fuel prime" issue would definitely be that melted wiring to the handlebar kill switch. I think you're right and that switch interrupts fuel pump power.

Folks with much more electrical experience than me will probably chime in as to whether this was caused by the dreaded "unfused positive leads in the electrical box" issue. I know there are at least two circuits on most Oilheads that don't have fuses, and when they go over-amperage this kinda stuff happens.

I chased a no start problem on my 04 R1100S BCR for 7months. It turned out to be the start/kill switch. Cleaned it with contact cleaner and now there hasn't been any issues for months.

The melted wire is the feed for the lighting circuit.
The Grey/Blue wire comes from the ignition switch to the Hi Beam switch LHS and also feeds the headlight switch RHS (euro models) and the High Beam indicator.
This circuit is unfused.
Any short to ground or overloaded headlight circuit will result in melted wiring.

It is very likely that the short affected other wires in the harness including the ignition circuit.
Digging deeper and opening the harness is next.

Here is a picture of an '08 1200GS I repaired. This was caused by an unfused wire shorting to ground.
Mice were to blame. BMW continues to leave their + feeds (red) unfused.

Attachments

• IMGP5902_resize.JPG
    IMGP5902_resize.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
No start

Clymers has pretty good wiring circuit diagrams; you just have to wade through them to find your model.

You may have checked this out already: the kick stand has a kill switch micro switch. On a functioning system you can turn the key to the start position and cycle the kickstand. The pump can be heard pressurizing for about one-second when the stand is retracted. Just like cycling the kill switch. If the side stand switch is not working I think it may be be just be part of the no-start problem as the melted wires seem to be culprits as well.

I have encountered an overloaded fuel pump blowing a fuse. Usually this occurs on a bike left with gas in the tank for a year or more. So if you were running the bike regularly, gooey gas freezing the pump’s motor is probably not part of the problem. The hoses in the tank can spring a leak but you should still hear the pump running.

Chevron’s Techron is magic. Use it at least once a year in anything with fuel injectors.

Back