• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

02 r1150r broken cam rail

slowrider60

I am looking to see if there is a mechanic in the New England area that would be interested in looking and working on my 02R1150R.
It appears that it i have an issue with the left side top cam rail. This is just an educated guess but i feel pretty sure. I removed the left valve cover and there is slop in the chain.
I started it up one morning, heard a loud noise similar to a chain and corresponded to the engine rpm's and then shut it off.
The bike has 75k miles. It is in great shape except for an ABS removal. The authorized dealers wont deviate from the book which calls for splitting the cases.
I have seen videos that show this can be worked around. I think this would be above my skills and am reaching out to find someone that has experience and would be willing to do the work for less than MAX or the other dealers.
If someone knows of someone, that would be appreciated also.
My email is stevesnyder60@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks but i think this is instructions on replacing the tensoiner. i need to replace the rail that guides the chain. the tensoiner may have caused the rail to break so that will need to be replaced also.

02R1150GS cam tensioner failure

I replaced the cam chain tensioner on my bike Saturday with the updated version from Beemer Boneyard. I discovered that my bike had the updated version already but did not know when it was installed as I am the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner was a friend that left me the bike when he passed away.
When I started the bike today it was noisy and clunky. I pulled the tensioner back out and have not found the bottom half of the tensioner yet.
I am going to pick up a stronger magnet tomorrow to see if the small magnet that I have now just isn't strong enough to pull it out. I am also going to try to borrow a cable camera to try to see down in the tensioner hole. Anyone ever had this kind of issue? it was a fairly straight forward simple task to replace the tensioner and was very surprised to find issues afterwards.:dunno:banghead
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kim

I am looking to see if there is a mechanic in the New England area that would be interested in looking and working on my 02R1150R.

I think Chris Harris is in New Hampshire. Not sure if he still works on just anyone's bike. Worth asking, though.

I don't recall the details, but wasn't there a post a while back that said the top rail, if it's not already broken, can be carefully "picked" out without splitting the case?
(I tried an advanced search, but didn't spot it.)

EDIT: I did find a post from Doug Raymond that says the bottom rail can be replaced without splitting the case, but not the top. (? can't verify) I also found some info from Paul Glaves at
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?14068-1100-GS-broken-timing-chain-guide-Call-for-help

Sorry this doesn't actually answer your question, but it may prod your mechanic...

Cam chain tensioner broken

Well, I borrowed a scope camera from my nephew and was able to look down in the tensioner hole and lo and behold there sits the bottom half of the tensioner anda piece of the tensioner rail under the chain. I am pretty sure I can get the tensioner out with a magnet and am hoping I might be able to grab the part of the rail with a small flexible 4 prong grabber. Everything that I have read so far points towards engine removal and splitting it open.

Great that you can see the parts. I have found that if a magnetic or claw style grab runs into trouble be it the magnet sticking to other parts or the claw being too big, there is another way. Using a shop-vac, tape an appropriate size clear plastic tube/hose to the shop-vac hose and let this magnified vacuum lift the part out.
Yeah, your shop-vac will hate you for this but it is effective.
Let us know how you make out.
Good luck.
OM

Back