• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam Chain Tensioner Question - 04 R1150R

bullfighter

Hi guys,

The answer to this question is probably posted in one or more other threads, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I recently bought an 04 R1150R with about 177k miles on it. It runs fairly well, except that it rattles ("clacks" might be a better word) loudly when warm from around the base of the left cylinder. Based on what I've read after multiple searches, the culprit appears to be the left side cam chain tensioner. However, most posts I've read say that you can tell if the tensioner's already been replaced by the bolt head on the housing. They say that the original housing has a 17mm bolt head, and the upgraded part has a 15mm bolt head.

So, today I got the left throttle body off and out of the way, and found that the bolt head on the existing tensioner was 15mm. I decided to pull it anyway, figuring that the piston inside might be faulty or worn out. However, when I got the assembly out, it looks like the old style tensioner, with the long spring and the hollow cylinder.

I'm going to order the upgraded part anyway, as this is clearly not the R1200 part that everyone else installed when they upgraded, but I'm curious if anyone else has pulled the original tensioner and found the housing to have a 15mm head, or if there's some other explanation?

So you are saying you have a 3 piece with the 15mm hex head?

Attachments

• new_tensioner_parts_sept_06.jpg
    new_tensioner_parts_sept_06.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 205
Sounds like someone may have changed the housing without changing the piston. I don't know if that would even function but I have the parts at the shop to see. At any rate, it sounds like you only need to buy the new piston (and a new crush ring).

Sounds like someone may have changed the housing without changing the piston. I don't know if that would even function but I have the parts at the shop to see. At any rate, it sounds like you only need to buy the new piston (and a new crush ring).

IIRC.
The old style piston/spring would be a sloppy fit into the 15mm housing.
The new style piston will not fit in the 17mm housing.

Never seen that before.
But I have seen the new style assembly with a 17mm head......

Last edited:
Measuring parts I have lying around...

Old tensioner body:
17mm head, 62mm overall length, 22.5mm after the threads stop. 13mm ID. Open all the way to the bottom.

New body:
15mm head, 57mm overall, 19.5mm after the threads stop. 13.45mm ID, step in bore about halfway down.

So the old piston would be a slightly loose fit in the new body, but it would stick out too far.

Curiouser and Curiouser, Pt. 1

The local BMW shop, West Valley Cycle Sales (westvalleycycle.com) had the upgraded tensioner and housing in stock :clap so I went and picked it up.

Here's the new and old assemblies side by side. The housings appear to be the same length:
b3.jpg

both have 15mm hex heads:
b4.jpg

(to be continued...)

Last edited:
Curiouser and Curiouser, Pt. 2

The inside diameter of the old housing is slightly too small to fit the new piston:
b5.jpg

And like Anton mentioned, there is a step inside the new housing that the old housing does not have
b6.jpg

So, I guess the moral of the story is, don't assume that your oilhead has the upgraded cam chain tensioner unless you've pulled it and looked at it yourself. :brow

Thanks for helping me with the research, though. It would have been nice to save the $40 if I could have re-used the existing housing. :thumb

Now, on to the bigger and more important question: will the new tensioner make that horrible clacking go away? Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I had a 15mm head and my tensioner failed, which made a mess of the pushrods. Hopefully my mechanic replaced this as well!

Now, on to the bigger and more important question: will the new tensioner make that horrible clacking go away? Stay tuned!

...and the answer to the $64,000 question (OK, the $121.70 question, including tax) is...

...drumroll, please...

YES!!!:dance:clap:bliss

The difference is like walking out of a billiard-ball factory into my grandmother's sewing room!

NOW I feel like I'm riding a BMW again!

Thanks guys for indulging my questions and sharing your insights!

Hi guys,

Anyway, I recently bought an 04 R1150R with about 177k miles on it. It runs fairly well, except that it rattles ("clacks" might be a better word) loudly when warm from around the base of the left cylinder.

Maybe I am missing something here, He never mentioned it making noise on start up.....PERHAPS, he hears the gearbox rattling when warm.

Maybe I am missing something here, He never mentioned it making noise on start up.....PERHAPS, he hears the gearbox rattling when warm.

For whatever reason, I didn't and don't hear any noise on start-up. Now that the cam chain isn't clacking, I do hear a little rattling, which I would assume is the gearbox, but it's nothing compared to the noise I was hearing before I put in the new tensioner.

A Cam Chain Tensioner Question

Should this work be done on a 2004 R1100S ? It has 35000 miles on it. Is this some kind of precaution? I don't have any rattle symptoms (yet), so... $$$?

Thanks,

Slick :)

If you don't have startup rattle, and you have the 15mm head, chances are good that you already have the new style tensioner.
Only inspection can prove it 100% though.

Note: if you do go ahead and inspect you will need to bleed the piston assy in order to re-assemble.
There is a little ball inside that you push while pumping the inner sleeve to evacuate the oil.
The chamber will fill the first startup afterwards.

Back