• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R850R Start-up Cam Chain Noise w/Upgraded Tensioner

So a couple days ago I emailed Tom Cutter asking whether he's ever had any of these new tensioners fail, and got a very quick reply. He theorized that my tensioner piston, in sitting on the shelf for over 2 years, might have accumulated some rust on the check valve or in the piston body.

He also said that I should address the cam chain issue ASAP, so I did, in the easiest/cheapest/quickest way I had on hand: replacing it with the original tensioner.

My original tensioner was quite rusty around the top, so I decided to try out a couple new things. I used the fancy new brass wire brush my dad got for his bench grinder to take off all the rust, and then did a very basic hot bluing process to hopefully rustproof it for the near future. Heated it up with a propane torch until the head all glowed cherry red and then quenched in slightly-used motor oil. To the naked eye it doesn't look as bad as the picture.

IMG_20211225_0043151.jpgIMG_20211225_0043207.jpg

Reinstalling the original tensioner did not completely eliminate the clattering noise on start-up, but it is now much quieter and lasts for a shorter time so it's an improvement. Previously I could hear it through my helmet and earplugs when starting up the bike from completely cold and now I can't.

I'll be reinstalling another upgraded tensioner as soon as I'm able to, or fixing the one I have.

I took a video of the noise with the original tensioner reinstalled if anybody wants to hear it. It certainly sounds to me like it's the left side of the engine but I'm inexperienced. https://youtu.be/GSIg34PV4ds

When I got the upgraded tensioner piston out, it was full of oil and impossible to push down as it had been before. Poking the ball valve allowed it to be pushed together and drained of oil as you'd expect. I'm honestly not sure what's wrong with it. Maybe it's slowly losing pressure over a few days? It does feel a bit "scratchy" when pushing it up and down without oil in it.

I have an idea or two as to how I could possibly fix the new tensioner piston, assuming it's rusted in some way; the easiest being to just soak it in brake parts cleaner to get it dry and then dunk it in Evapo-Rust for a few days. I'd rather try to repair it than drop $80+ on the replacement part, if I can.

When I got the upgraded tensioner piston out, it was full of oil and impossible to push down as it had been before. Poking the ball valve allowed it to be pushed together and drained of oil as you'd expect. I'm honestly not sure what's wrong with it. Maybe it's slowly losing pressure over a few days? It does feel a bit "scratchy" when pushing it up and down without oil in it.

It is operating correctly.
Fill it and clamp the assembly lightly. Watch and see if it leaks down and how long.

It is operating correctly.
Fill it and clamp the assembly lightly. Watch and see if it leaks down and how long.

I'll do exactly that and report back; my dad just picked up a pair of soft jaws for his vise so it'll be the first thing they get used on.

Also make sure that the tiny little bleed holes are not clogged, and don't use sealant on the crush washer - it's close enough to one of those holes that any excess may obstruct it.

Back