• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100R Windshield

SHUNK

I just posted a similar thread in the gear section...

I have a 1996 r1100r and am looking for an aftermarket windshield to replace the stock bmw unit. I am 6'2" with 31" inseam and cannot stand the noise inside my helmet from the stock windshield.

If anyone has any experience with this bike and any aftermarket windshields, I would appreciate the input.

I am looking at the Parabellum Scout but have also considered the Aeroflow, Cee Bailey's and laminar lip. I would like it to look good once it is installed.

Thanks!

Hi,

I cannot really help you (yet), but have the same problem. I've installed the BMW windshield on my 2000 R1100R early last month. I really like it, but it's really noisy, to the level where it drives me crazy after a few hours, even though I'm always wearing earplugs. I'm probably going to try the laminar lip, since I really like the BMW screen apart from the noise. Before I order I want to send them (laminarlip.com) an e-mail to see if the 3M velcro used to attach it will not do permanent damage to my BMW screen though. That way I can remove it if I really don't like it. I'll let you know, but it'll take a few weeks...

Best,
Jacco

agreed..

I tried a Parebellum (sp?) 22 " height for my R850R with the same turbulent conclusion..it came off in 1 (one) week. I'd like a shorter, sporty shield like the Givi noted at Bob's BMW website..and on the GIVI site. Good luck!
jay-

QUOTE=SHUNK]I just posted a similar thread in the gear section...

I have a 1996 r1100r and am looking for an aftermarket windshield to replace the stock bmw unit. I am 6'2" with 31" inseam and cannot stand the noise inside my helmet from the stock windshield.

If anyone has any experience with this bike and any aftermarket windshields, I would appreciate the input.

I am looking at the Parabellum Scout but have also considered the Aeroflow, Cee Bailey's and laminar lip. I would like it to look good once it is installed.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

SHUNK said:
...I have a 1996 r1100r and am looking for an aftermarket windshield to replace the stock....

I am looking at the Parabellum Scout but have also considered the Aeroflow, Cee Bailey's and laminar lip.....[/QUOTE=SHUNK]

My situation / question as well. I have a buddy with a 2000 running with a National Cycle Deflector Shield. He seems quite happy with it and commutes 100 miles daily. Looks kinda' small to me - but National has a Street Shield and also the F-15, which look interesting. I note that the National Cycle website prices seem to be higher than alternatives such as Motorcycle Accesory Warehouse and JCW.

I am 6ÔÇÖ1ÔÇØ and have a 03ÔÇÖ 1150RT. I replaced the stock windshield this spring with an Aeroflow. I have been 100% satisfied. I ordered it direct from Aeroflow, customer service was great. Installation took me about 20 minutes, clear instructions and all the required parts/pieces were enclosed in the package. The ride is quiet and there is no bucking on my helmet. I also have noticed that there is a lot less resistance on my upper body which has really made longer rides a LOT more comfortable. In addition, I was in a very heavy rainstorm last week and I was impressed with the laminar air flow which re-directed most of the water and actually kept me pretty dry.

So far I am very pleased, I think I made the right choice.

Thank you for your suggestion, but.....

HFD190 said:
I am 6ÔÇÖ1ÔÇØ and have a 03ÔÇÖ 1150RT. I replaced the stock windshield this spring with an Aeroflow....

So far I am very pleased, I think I made the right choice.

With all due respect, what works for an RT is not going to work for the Roadster, although it is good to know that Aeroflow good reputation is untarnished. Still lookin'.

I have a '99 R1100R and have tried an array of items to quiet things down. I first had the stock windshield which is/was horrible. I then tried the SAENG edging around it, not much better. Then I purchased the Laminar lip, which again fell short of the mark. I even put the SAENG edging on the LIP to no avail. I tried a "Rumble strip" on my HJC helmet which did little. I then rode for two years and many miles with no wind shield at all which was great.

I finally paid the bike off and had to decide weather I wanted to buy a new bike or invest more money into the RR. She has been good to me so I stepped up and bought the Scout fairing. I bought both the sporty shield the big daddy 22''. The 22'' kept down the noise pretty well until about 75-80 then got a little rumble. I didn't care for the look of the tall shield. I run now with the short 10in shield with the SAENG edging. I have a picture posted in the photo section.

I always run with earplugs or ambient noise blocking IPOD head phones. I am OK with the noise level it is fairly quiet up to about 70-75. After all it is a motorcycle and some noise should exist. I noticed if I shrug my shoulders up to the base of the helmet it is very quiet. I bought an item called a "windjammer 2" which provides a little extra wind blockage around the base of the helmet. If anyone is interested I can provided a review after I have recieved it and tried it out.

I am considering a new helmet as the one I have is about 4 years old. If any one has favorable reviews on quiet helmets please send me a message with your experience.

The Scout fairing works OK for the sound but really is an attention getter, as it makes your bike look really sharp. It does really well keeping the wind pressure off your torso. :german

RW

PS I am 6'1 @ about 225lbs

Rob,

My previous bike was an R1100R. I had the R1100R BMW OEM windscreen, and experimented quite a bit. I learned that the only genuine way to relative silence was either: (A) get a fully fared bike (and there are many of those), or (B) ride a naked bike without a windscreen (windscreens made noise and buffeting worse). Trying to create a fared bike out of a naked bike is folly.

I hope you take this advice to heart. If you don't believe it, do your own experimentation. Good luck.

Fred
'02 R1150R

Jacco and STEVEDBMW
I have a National Cycle F-15 Touring Windshield that I use the 14 inch universal laminar lip on. I've used the 3M dual lock on the F-15 and on a parabellum sport shield for 8 months now and it hasn't damaged either one. I use the parabellum and aeroflow aeroguards when I ride in temps less than about 40 degrees. The aeroguards are also held on by 3M dual lock and it's adhesive doesn't bother the paint on the tank either.

There's a lot of buffeting behind the parabellum sport shield and the laminar lip helps a lot. The aeroguards blocking the wind from below help even more but I don't like the looks of the setup so when it gets back up in the 40's or above I take this stuff off and put the F-15 back on.

The F-15 is thinner than the other windshields on the market and even though NC says that you have 20 degrees of adjustment, if you stand it up too straight the turbulance from the semi's can get behind it and pull it forward when you pass and you'll quickly see stress cracks coming out from the mounting holes. I adjust it so that the wind hits me about shoulder level and I put the L Lip on so that it deflects the wind in the center up to the level of my helmet vent. I like this setup, very little buffeting at 85 and the noise is bearable. For reference, I'm 5'8", 30" inseam and when sitting I'm 38 inches from my butt to the top of my helmet.

If you look close in the attached pic you can see the F-15/LL combination. They do a good job of keeping the wind and bugs off of me and the shiny guage cluster without hiding the front of the bike.

P.S. if you get the laminar lip and you need to replace the dual lock (it does wear out) Digikey.com sells it by the foot. Laminarlip.com sells 5 inch strip pairs, everyone else sells it by the $90 roll.

Attachments

• F15andLLip.JPG
    F15andLLip.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 312
darencs said:
Jacco and STEVEDBMW
I have a National Cycle F-15 Touring Windshield that I use the 14 inch universal laminar lip on......

Darencs
I have been considering the NC F-15, but I have decided, base on your experiences, to add a Laminar Lip to the BMW stock windshield, in which I am already invested. And thanks also for the suggestions about the Dual Lock.

SteveD_BMW
:type

STEVEDBMW said:
Darencs
I have been considering the NC F-15, but I have decided, base on your experiences, to add a Laminar Lip to the BMW stock windshield, in which I am already invested. And thanks also for the suggestions about the Dual Lock.

SteveD_BMW
:type

You're welcome, BTW I was mistaken on the previous post. Digikey sells the dual lock by the yard, not foot. The part number for the 1/2 inch stuff that holds my L lip on is SJ355112-1-ND. The current price is $9.79 a yard.

If you know anyone looking for the 1 inch wide dual lock that holds aeroflow aeroguards on, the part number for that is SJ355110-1-ND and it is $16.32 a yard.

national cycle wind screen

I ride a 99 R1100R which came with a national cycle wind screen when I bought it used last summer. I don't notice excessive noise or buffeting, but then I'm on a motorcycle! i guess if i wanted no noise or buffeting I'd take the car :violin , anyway I find it tolerable, my R90/6 is naked and the only other bike I had with a fairing was a Kawasaki zx-11 and later a concourse which were much quieter. of course i was tucked behind the zx fairing and screen when i was much over 100mph :wow Enjoy your experimenting and keep us posted on what makes you happy. safe riding!

darencs said:
Jacco and STEVEDBMW
I have a National Cycle F-15 Touring Windshield that I use the 14 inch universal laminar lip on. I've used the 3M dual lock on the F-15 and on a parabellum sport shield for 8 months now and it hasn't damaged either one. I use the parabellum and aeroflow aeroguards when I ride in temps less than about 40 degrees. The aeroguards are also held on by 3M dual lock and it's adhesive doesn't bother the paint on the tank either.

Hi darencs,

Thanks for the post! Shortly after I posted here I actually went ahead and ordered a laminar lip. Although it's still not as quiet as the naked bike was (duh) I'm quite happy with it. It's been on my bike now for half a year / 5k miles.

Best,
Jacco

Back