• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheel Dolly

gblawler

In the winter, I like to move my bike to the front wall of the garage so I can get our convertible in as well. This pretty much limits my winter riding to the weekends because of the time it takes to work the bike back and forth to get it parallel with the front wall of the garage. I am looking for the cheapest and easiest solution to this problem. I have seen the full bike dollies for about $100 that consist of a metal track you roll the whole bike on. That seems like overkill for my situation because I really only need to be able to move the rear wheel sideways to do the job.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/moto-slide-360-degree-motorcycle-dolly/p2016937.jcwx

I like this solution because it is small and less expensive. The question I have is how easy is it to get the rear wheel up on the dolly?

Any advice or other suggestions?

Can't speak to the JCW unit, but I can attest to Legal Speeding's Park-n-Move. A bit more than even your $100 but ... My garage is full of a '65 Pontiac Catalina Ventura (original 421 HO Tri-Power), work bench, fridge, mower, wagons, parts, bicycles, and misc stuff lining the walls on shelves and three bikes. Typical 2 car garage. To get just about anything out, I had to move all three bikes outside. Then I got 2 P-n-Ms. Now I just adjust positions. And, I have a nice wide path for walking through, holding garage club meetings for us neighborhood retired folks, etc. I swear by these things. Just put the P-n-M under the center stand, pop the bike onto the center stand and you are done. To me, the ease of use and the increase in the efficient use of space is worth the extra money. YMMV

I will vouch for the Park 'n Move also. Position the unit under the center stand and then just step down as you usually do to raise the bike onto the stand. From there it's very easy to roll around anywhere you want it.

My only problem came in getting it off the PnM. I tried sitting on the bike and "riding" or rocking it off, with somewhat disasterous results. Then a friend advised that I just stand beside the bike, with the bike in gear, and rock it off the PnM. Works like a charm.

I have a Park~N~Move from legal speeding. Works like a charm.

More importantly, they had a problem with a wheel supplier some time back and I had a failed wheel about two years after I bought the mover. I called about it. three days later, I had a replacement set of wheels at my door. I have no idea what the warranty is on this unit but there's no question at all of them standing behind the product.

Easy to use and safe when used properly.

With my RT:
Put bike on centerstand, slip 3/4 piece of wood under rear tire, bike on side stand, P~N~M under centerstand, bike back on centerstand.

To take bike off P~N~M, lock one wheel on the P~N~M, put sidestand down, foot in front of P~N~M, rock bike forward off P~N~M and pull it down onto sidestand.

Good stuff, good company.

Disclaimer - no interest-yadda, yadda, yadda.

Harbor Freight has a rail type dolly that works great. They periodically have them on sale for about $60, and regular price about $100. Best bang for the buck for what you need.

I don't think I would attempt to use that JC Whitney thing

That thing looks a little unsteady to me. Is there any way to lock it down while you put the bike on it? What keeps it from just going sideways and dumping you and the bike on the floor? Maybe I didn't look close but my moneys on a bigger garage or a little more $$$ on something that won't drop the bike as easy.

Same as the above re: the park and move. Excellent, solid, and worth every dime. I live in a condo and have a single garage parking spot, and using the device, i can roll my R1200R in and out between my X5 and the (thankfully) Mini Cooper next to me. I stow the R12 in front of my car. If the Mini ever turns into an SUV, then my car will likely have to back out in order for me to get the R12, but even so, its much easier then trying to get it parrallel to the wall in the width of a parking spot.

Couldn't live without it...

Glenn,
I have the same problem. Just need to be able to slide the rear wheel to the wall and back out again. I went to Lowe's and bought 2 round large furniture sliders. They are about 6 inches diameter. With the bike on the centerstand (1985 K100) I just tilt it slightly and slide the round sliders under the stand on each side. I then just push it up against the wall. The garage floor is concrete. Been doing this for a while.

Jay

Glenn,
I went to Lowe's and bought 2 round large furniture sliders. They are about 6 inches diameter. With the bike on the centerstand (1985 K100) I just tilt it slightly and slide the round sliders under the stand on each side. I then just push it up against the wall. The garage floor is concrete. Been doing this for a while.

Jay,

Are you talking about the sliders that just have slick plastic on the bottom?

The Dakar does not come with a centerstand, to maximize clearance (I guess), so I can't do the same thing you are doing, but I wonder if I could put something like that under the rear tire and slide it sideways.

+ on the Park and Move thing

There is a version of the Park and Move equipped to accomodate a bike with no center stand.
Tip: To roll bike off dolly slide a dowell or threaded rod in front of the rear wheels to keep the dolly from rolling with out locking the wheels. Then you can kick the dolly away from the bike, hop on and ride.

Glenn,
Yes, those are the ones. They make a bigger rectangular one. If you can get it under the rear wheel you should be able to slide the rear end to the wall. You might want to get a small round one and put under the sidestand foot. Those two points should then slide easily. If you try this let us know if it works!

Jay

I bought a set of 4 of the largest furniture movers that Menards had for $10. They are about a foot long and 5 or 6 inches wide. I also bought an industrial door mat that has a very short nap carpet; about 5 feet by 4 feet for another $10.

I plan to put the door mat down where the rear wheel will be and use the slider on the rear wheel. May try using another one on the side stand.

I move the Dakar to the rear of the garage as soon as the frost starts so I can keep my car inside and not have to scrape the windows in the morning. If I can get the bike in and out of the garage quickly, it will mean a lot more winter riding.

I will post again when I have actually tried this method. $20 is a lot less than any other solution I have seen for this problem, and also has the advantage of taking up virtually no space when not in use.

Well...

I'm not familiar with the Whitney device, but I do have a dolly of sorts. I don't recall the exact name but you put it under the bike and pop it up on the centerstand. The 4 casters make it really easy to manuver my R12RT into it's VERY tight parking space.

It does take a very firm pull to lever the bike up on the center stand on top of the dolly BUT I can do it and my right knee is 100% bionic.

If I were you, this is NOT an area to scrimp especially when the uber sano bike dollys are around two bills.

I don't recall the exact name but you put it under the bike and pop it up on the centerstand. The 4 casters make it really easy to manuver my R12RT into it's VERY tight parking space.

It does take a very firm pull to lever the bike up on the center stand on top of the dolly BUT I can do it and my right knee is 100% bionic.

If I were you, this is NOT an area to scrimp especially when the uber sano bike dollys are around two bills.

I can't use that solution because the Dakar does not have a center stand. The solution I was looking at was the long steel rail. I looked at a video on the internet demonstrating the product, and it looks like more work than I want to do to get the bike on and off the dolly. The other problem with that is I have very limited space in the garage, and the dolly itself takes up a lot of room when not in use.

I am pretty sure the furniture mover / door mat solution will work fine, the question is how easy it will be to roll the rear wheel onto the slider.

With no center stand, I would go with something like the the Harbor Freight Low Profile Motorcycle Dolly. http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html You will be leaning the bike over anyway.

That was my first choice until I heard about the furniture mover idea. The only problem I have with the dolly is that is takes up a lot of space when not in use. I know I could hang it on the wall, but I have all kinds of things hanging on the wall already and am out of wall space.

I like the funiture mover because it takes up virtually no space when not in use. I will post here after I have tried it. The only question left is how much trouble it will be to roll the back wheel up on the slider. Probably all in the wrist :)

Back