• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Owner Question

N

nocksalot

Hi All,
After 15 years of riding HD I finally took the leap into BMW with a recent purchase (internet!) of a 93 R100R, Pearl White with 26K on the odometer.

The gentleman selling the bike (second owner) appears honest and very knowledgable and has some history on the bike but I feel a little inept with the brand despite "lurking" on this forum for the past year.

I'm making the trip to look-over the bike and take delivery next week. My question for the airhead experts out there is this: other then the obvious appearance issue is there anything in particular I should be looking for or asking questions on?

Many Thanks,
ToddB
Dundee, MI

BMWs (except K) very conveniently will "rock" on their centerstands, meaning you can remove the front wheel and the bike will settle on the rear wheel, and vice versa.

Use this feature to lift the rear wheel off the ground and spin it to get a feel of the u-joints, bearings, etc. of the driveshaft. It will be normally a bit "geary," but shouldn't have noticeable tight spots as it turns.

The R100R is a "first cousin" of the R100GS, having the same frame, rear suspension, etc. The GS are known for going through driveshafts around every 45K miles, and it's a $400 problem. The R100R has less suspension travel, and probably doesn't suffer the problem as much, but it's worth checking.

The '93 models are probably in the production range where BMW attempted to omit a circlip associated with the transmission output shaft. Airheads aren't the slickest shifting bikes even at their best, but it's a good idea to evaluate how you feel it shifts. Best test is to check the magnetic drain plug for significant metallic swarf--the kind you can feel that's sharp as opposed to just fuzzy.

This generation of Airheads had the Valeo as opposed to the Bosch starter motor, and most of these apparently fail eventually. Might be nice to learn the history of this.

Finally, there's probably a BMW club in your area, and contacting someone in the club to "visit" the bike with you is always a good idea. See
http://bmwmoa.org/about/clubs/clubs.htm

A lot more tech advice is available online at
http://www.airheads.org/index.php?Lists

Last edited:
There is a guy not too far from you in the Temperance area who is a BMW parts guys and is always helpful if you run into problems.Also,in Fremont Oh. there is a mechanic I use for my two airheads,at Schiets Motors.No longer a BMW dealer,they still take them in for service and Eric is a airhead guy with a R90S of his own.Shoot me an e-mail if you need more info.

I have an identical bike (color and year)that I have had for the last 3 years. The R100R has been a great bike and I really enjoy riding it. The only problems I have had was a couple of seal leaks. I had to replace the push rod tube seals and the oil pan gasket. I think this was due to the bike being parked for a long time before I purchased it and they dried out. All the seals were easy to replace. Other than doing the valve adjustments the bike has been relatively maintenance free. It is great for short rides as well as the long hauls (other than the stock seat). I think you will enjoy it! :)

One big difference between HD and BMW is in the owners. I think you'll find BMW owners/riders to be serious about motorcycling and helpful to each other. I suggest that any BMW owner become a member of BMWMOA. You'll be joining a huge "family" that is a source of both enjoyment and information. The monthly magazine Owners News has columns on maintaining various models of BMW. Membership includes an "Anonymous" book that lists those members willing to help others, or just have a conversation.

So, if you haven't already joined, see the home page for more info.

pmdave :thumb

Like mentioned before with the seal leaks, its common for these older bikes. Easy to replace. You will find that you are not alone in your endevors with a beemer because of this club. Many guys on this site are very knowledgable and willing to share their opinion. Dont be afraid to ask any questions. I live in Plymouth and am willing to offer some help if you need it.

As for the stock seat, you can swap it for a seat from a 1988-on R100GS. The pan is identical and the fit and attachment points are identical, but the foam is better shaped and a little cushier. This was the solution I employed while waiting for Rick Mayer to get around to working his magic on my stock seat.
There are no issues that are particular to the R100R- the issues mentioned here are either generic to Airhead BMWs or are shared with the GS in the case of the driveshaft.
You will need to know which oil filter to ask for, as Airheads take different types depending on year. You'll find that there is a lot to learn about these bikes but it is easy to learn especially if you have good resources. In addition to the Airheads BMW Club that lkchris mentioned, I heartily recommend the forum at www.boxerworks.com. It's unmoderated and gets really silly sometimes, but it's a wonderful bunch of guys who are very helpful even if they take a little sport in giving a good-natured messing-with to new guys. The forum has formed a really cool little community though, so good that we have our own rallies twice a year in southeastern Oklahoma. We're having one May 20-23. If you can get down that way we'd be happy to see you.
I think you'll really grow to love your R100R. As Beemers go, it's the best of all worlds.

Back