• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

05 R12RT replacement battery

cberry

Chuck Berry
My 05 RT has been in service for 4 years and has 72,000 miles on the original battery.:)

I want to be prepared to change it sometime this summer, and would like to know of a direct replacement AGM aftermarket battery, if there is such a thing, and its track record in the field.

I've searched several threads and gleaned a wealth of information, but could find nothing specific to my needs. Comments, please.

I replaced mine with an Odyssey Battery (PC-680--non metal jacket) from Batterymart.com. I have an 05RT also.

Here's the deal. Select the battery you need (they have a very easy to use drill down starting with BMW-engine size-model, etc.) and add it to your cart. Then, once in the cart for checkout, navigate to another page. Just pick any old bookmark you have handy, BMWMOA for example. A window will pop up and tell you that if you hit cancel and stay and buy the battery, they'll knock off an additional 10 % or so! I just tried it and it still works. I got the PC680 for about $125, no tax, no shipping.

I also bought some terminals I thought were needed but it was a waste. It was easy to connect the wires right to the battery and I actually think it is a cleaner install than the original.

Here's a picture. You can see how I bolted the leads right onto the battery flat. I did use a piece of folded tire inner-tube to take up space but otherwise it fits perfectly and is working very well.

Attachments

• Art.jpg
    Art.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 530
R1200RT Replacement Battery

+1 for the Odyssey PC-680.
I also have an 05 RT and last year replaced the original battery with a cheaper Extreme something battery that didn't last a year (I don't know why, but wouldn't hold a charge and left me stranded twice). I put the Odyssey in 3 months ago and am very happy with the performance. If you don't ride too often or need to top it up, just be mindful of the proper charging requirements of this battery as it is different than most. It requires a higher regulated (trickle) charge current (3-6 amps), and 14.2-14.8v (no more than 15v) at the terminals.
I think you'll like this battery.

I replaced mine with an Odyssey Battery (PC-680--non metal jacket) from Batterymart.com. I have an 05RT also.

Here's the deal. Select the battery you need (they have a very easy to use drill down starting with BMW-engine size-model, etc.) and add it to your cart. Then, once in the cart for checkout, navigate to another page. Just pick any old bookmark you have handy, BMWMOA for example. A window will pop up and tell you that if you hit cancel and stay and buy the battery, they'll knock off an additional 10 % or so! I just tried it and it still works. I got the PC680 for about $125, no tax, no shipping.

I also bought some terminals I thought were needed but it was a waste. It was easy to connect the wires right to the battery and I actually think it is a cleaner install than the original.

Here's a picture. You can see how I bolted the leads right onto the battery flat. I did use a piece of folded tire inner-tube to take up space but otherwise it fits perfectly and is working very well.

It was noted in other threads that you had to use "L" brackets with this battery, which to me is adding a failure point. Good to see that's not true, pictures say a 1000 words.

Thanks

If you've got a Batteries PLUS store near you, stop in. They handle the Odyssey line of motorcycle batteries, including what you need.

Would give you a chance to learn more, and compare it to other options.

For me, Odyssey will be my next juice box (probably next year).

Enjoy Spring! :german

+1 for the Odyssey PC-680.
I also have an 05 RT and last year replaced the original battery with a cheaper Extreme something battery that didn't last a year (I don't know why, but wouldn't hold a charge and left me stranded twice). I put the Odyssey in 3 months ago and am very happy with the performance. If you don't ride too often or need to top it up, just be mindful of the proper charging requirements of this battery as it is different than most. It requires a higher regulated (trickle) charge current (3-6 amps), and 14.2-14.8v (no more than 15v) at the terminals.
I think you'll like this battery.

Will the Deltran Battery Tendor Jr not work with the PC-680 battery? The Deltran website states that this tendor is 12V at .750 amps.

Thanks,

Tom
2007 R12RT

Will the Deltran Battery Tendor Jr not work with the PC-680 battery? The Deltran website states that this tendor is 12V at .750 amps.

Thanks,

Tom
2007 R12RT

Sorry to jump your question, my mind was on the Shorai girls...
But yes, the Battery Tender Jr. will work with any battery. Well any battery that you would put in your bike.

Sorry to jump your question, my mind was on the Shorai girls...
But yes, the Battery Tender Jr. will work with any battery. Well any battery that you would put in your bike.

With one caveat... the Odyssey is a deep discharge battery. If fully discharged it requires something like 5 amps to bring it back to full life. Odyssey has a list of approved chargers and notes, for those rated around 3 amps, that they are only for trickle charging the smaller batteries.

http://odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEYapproved12Vchargers_OCT2010.pdf

I suspect that a battery tender will keep a charged battery charged, but might not restore a discharged battery. That's just a guess, though.

I emailed Deltran last year, when I put an Odyssey on the GS, they said the jr. would not work, but the regular size battery tender would work fine.

07 R12RT Battery Replacement ??'s

I have a couple of questions for those of you in the know.

I have been shopping on line and had a couple of question's come to mind.

How can you tell when the battery was manufactured? If the manufacturing date was let say a year ago, would that shorten the life span or useful live of the battery?

I had a lot of interest in the Shorie Battery, however I have decided on the Odyssey PC-680 for my RT after reading your post.
:D I love this forum. :D

I see that RoboRider used the non metal jacket version.
What does the Metal Case version provide over the Non Metal Case version?

Back