• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spline Lube Today

BobZ

Prime Time
Did another spline lube to the R100S today. First time we removed the trans completely; this time just pulled everything back including the rear wheel.

Splines looked great same as last time. Makes me wonder why I worry about them so much.

Maybe because it's 3F outside

Actually it got up to nine F.

Another thing, this was the first time she's ever been in the back of a pickup truck.
Just too cold and too much snow to ride her to the work shop.

Did another spline lube to the R100S today. First time we removed the trans completely; this time just pulled everything back including the rear wheel.

Splines looked great same as last time. Makes me wonder why I worry about them so much.

They only look that way if you worry enough to lube them. Keep worrying, it's good for your wallet........Rod.

Spline lube - why not drill an access hole?

Why not drill an access hole, like that for the timing, into the tranny for this lube process? I guess there's still no access with the two housings snugged together - sorry, I've only seen a few bad pictures and should know better than to suggest the obvious.

Going to do this on a 79 R100s soon, I've read all I can here and on bmwmotorcycletech as well. Looks like real fun...

Like Manfred, it took me about 3 hours first time around. I'm sure I could shave at least an hour off that next time, maybe more.

Heck, the hardest thing is aligning/torquing the swingarm on reassembly. And that isn't "hard," just not as easy as everything else is.

Very good feeling to go in there, make sure splines are good, and give 'em a good lubing. I really don't mind the job - not to say I want to do it more often than "necessary" (for the splines' health and my own peace of mind).

I use Krytox for lube and plan on doing the job every 12K miles. That's not high mileage, but this is my "winter bike" (in Boston) so that'll be every couple to a few years - long enough to wait, methinks.

Why not drill an access hole, like that for the timing, into the tranny for this lube process? I guess there's still no access with the two housings snugged together - sorry, I've only seen a few bad pictures and should know better than to suggest the obvious.

Going to do this on a 79 R100s soon, I've read all I can here and on bmwmotorcycletech as well. Looks like real fun...

Splines will be engaged at that point, and inaccessible. Points for creative thinking though - nothing wrong with that!

Back